Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

2nd attempt

Pages: 1 17 replies

F

This one is called "The Arrival".

Opinions please. Be honest.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-06-22 10:51 ]

O

don't know if anybody could see the pic, but it would not load for me!

F

I think I fixed it. I'm not too savvy.

Very nice. It looks like it would make a good story illustration. Is that a rapidograph pen you're using?

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-06-22 10:55 ]

O

That's better! I like very much..keep up the great work!

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-06-22 10:57 ]

yeh nice foamy, what are the media? is that watercolor?

F

On 2004-06-22 10:53, Sam Gambino wrote:
Very nice. It looks like it would make a good story illustration. Is that a rapidograph pen you're using?

Funny that you should mention story illustration. That's just the thing I was going for. Old School style. I read too many Tin-Tin's. Pen and ink to start with. Razor point to finish. Guoache for color. The whole thing ia a bit washed out, here on the web. By the way Sam – love your stuff. And thanks, folks. I'll keep try'in.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-06-22 11:07 ]

oh yeah... actually "the broken ear" had some good idol stuff goin on...

Thanks, foamy. You certainly nailed the look you are going for. It looks a lot like the style used in JDs pic.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-06-22 11:12 ]

F

J$, noth'in gets by you! I haven't seen a Tin-Tin in years!

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-06-22 11:16 ]

tintin walks into the belgian branch of oceanic arts

tintins are great! i loved asterix books too. i still see them in bookstores ~ go ahead and pick some up, they stand the test of time for sheer artistry aside from the fun storylines. blistering barnacles!

F

I'll be looking. Thanks!

Speaking of "style", that's my rub. I have none. Every time I try and do something it comes out looking like that. So, I just try and work it.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-06-22 11:35 ]

Foamy,

Funny thing about one's own style. For years and years I played guitar and sang in copy bands; oddly enough, when I started writing my own tunes, it sounded like all the bands I'd copied.

But maybe that's OK to a degree. No artists exists in a bubble, we are all influenced by those before.

Your work is good, your own style will come; for all we know, it may already be here!

V

That's right, your style is very Belgium. And that's a compliment.

V

I remember now, your drawaing made me think of Yakari, one of my first book idol.

Wow! I love it! I love your use of color. It is very vivid and gorgeous. The shade of red you chose is absolutely delicious.

You would make a fortune illustrating children's books by the way... have you ever considered that?

Your colors are so JUICY. I LOVE that. :)

Congratulations!

~Lenore Shaffer

O

i really like that first one, with the guy on the beach, great sceene and great detail. i like your style and your work, keep posting them, i look forward to the next

F

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I really do appreciate it (I live in a creative vacum). I'll keep plug'in and we'll see what happens.

Pages: 1 17 replies