Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tropical-print shirts popular this year

Pages: 1 21 replies

Is it just me, or are tropical-print shirts incredibly popular this summer? I'm not talking loud Hawaiin, but palm leaves, tropical flowers, etc. in muted tones of green, brown, and gold. I see them everywhere in Manhattan. Is this a fad, and does it exist in the rest of the country? The world?

L

On 2004-06-22 18:39, Blue Moose wrote:
Is it just me, or are tropical-print shirts incredibly popular this summer? I'm not talking loud Hawaiin, but palm leaves, tropical flowers, etc. in muted tones of green, brown, and gold. I see them everywhere in Manhattan. Is this a fad, and does it exist in the rest of the country? The world?

yea its cross country. stussy, mossschimo (sp?) and esp roxy... all corporate 'surfwear' activewear companies are doing it.

monsterra leaves hibiscus the two most popular motifs.

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-22 18:46 ]

your kidding? no way.

[ Edited by: tiki rider on 2004-06-22 21:50 ]

arn't they always popular...every year at summer?

huh... they've always been popular 'round here?!

I got two for Father's Day!

T

I think the Aloha shirt needs to be the Offical Shirt of Summer, EVERY YEAR!

Summer, nothing! Official Shirt, period!

DZ

On 2004-06-23 07:28, Tiki-Toa wrote:
I think the Aloha shirt needs to be the Offical Shirt of Summer, EVERY YEAR!

You mean it's NOT??

It always has been 'round here...

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-06-23 08:33 ]

Corporate surf/active-wear fad, I see. If they sell it, poeple will buy it? But why would several companies hit on the same fad at the same time? The other day I was in a party supply store in Queens that never had tiki anything. Now, there's a whole wall of all things tiki. And to those from California, no, New Yorkers do not wear tropical print shirts in great numbers every summer. Suddenly, tropical shirts are in the subway, the street, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (were I work). I like it. I'll be intertested to see if the fad extends up to Maine when I get up there in July.

[ Edited by: Blue Moose on 2004-06-23 08:38 ]

This is the first year I remember seeing this many Aloha shirts in Kansas. Its nice to see it, but I haven't seen anything in Wal-Mart or Target that I like as much as the collection of shirts I've gotten at thrift stores over the years.
Is anyone else having trouble shaking the Pavlovian association of seeing the kid in the car next to you blaring oh-so-not-exotica music while wearing a Hawaiian shirt?

L

On 2004-06-23 08:33, Blue Moose wrote:
Corporate surf/active-wear fad, I see. If they sell it, poeple will buy it? But why would several companies hit on the same fad at the same time?

that is the essence and nature of a fad.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.