Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Drop ceiling ideas?

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

Plotting my future tiki paradise in a nicely-sized finished basement, and looking for suggestions, ideas, photos, etc. for what to do with the drop ceiling.
I've thought about covering it w/matting, but I'm unsure of how to secure the matting to the ceiling.
Covering the ceiling w/silk greenery is another fantasy (sure to hit hard in the wallet, tho).
As for the ceiling lights, I have found an awesome idea: http://www.azskyman.com carries fluorescent light diffusers that look like clouds. They look sweet, and only run $37 each.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
peace,
Scott

On 2004-06-23 14:16, Scottiki wrote:
Covering the ceiling w/silk greenery is another fantasy (sure to hit hard in the wallet, tho).

`My first thought, before I got to your wallet concerns, is to remove the ceiling panels (put 'em away for when you sell the house) paint the ceiling black or dark navy and put a smattering of tiny white light strings at the highest points in the ceiling (break 'em up so that it's not too bright and not all in one string). Follow that by covering the drop ceiling framework with the fake greenery to hide it, along with some random greens to break up the grid-look. It's cheaper than covering the entire ceiling with green and it gives you a night sky.

-Z

This place looks FANTASTIC, especially at night. It would be perfect for a tiki bar. I took this picture for Sparklegem who had a similar dilemma to yours.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-06-23 15:09 ]

Awesome!
Thanks for the great ideas so far!

my local bamboo store has/had those drop in tiles.. they removed them, and put in pieces of woven bamboo. looks great, but, could be costly..

the starlight thing looks beautiful.

i have the opposite problem: low ceiling...

post pics of your progress!!

elicia

Pages: 1 4 replies