Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Can we take over the Masons' job when they die?

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 12:01 ]

didn't mean to get your goat...

On 2004-06-29 11:08, Johnny Dollar wrote:
didn't mean to get your goat...

http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/yosemitesam_mouthshut.mp3 :)

Hey, foamy --

Your post gives me pause. Dare I dare ... ?

In reviewing my first post, I see I got something wrong. "control the British pound" should be "control the British Crown."

I thought I was quoting the lyrics from The Simpsons' episode known as "The Stone Cutters." I have found the correct lyrics, and they are:

The Stone Cutters' Song
The Simpsons

Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

"...And by the Sacred Parchment, I swear that if I reveal the secrets of the StoneCutters, may my stomach become bloated and my head be plucked of all but three hairs."

I find it interesting that the Camicie Nere also wore fezzes as part of their regalia. They have also been accused of fomenting some of the same programs as the Masons. A coincidence? Perhaps only the History Channel can tell us...

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2004 12:31 PM

On 2004-06-26 13:21, tikicleen wrote:
ive been working for the scottish rite for four years now on a part time basis. ive known the guys for 6 years. their philanthropy is to 'help kids talk'.

Bless you, tikicleen, and your Scottish Rite buddies! They have helped my kid talk! Thanks, in part, to their grants, my autistic son has made great progress thru speech therapy since he started 4 years ago as a totally silent 3-year old. We've got a way to go, but we're progressing.

-JTD

More goat notes --

Here is a website that features an old Masonic supply catalogue -- there are SEVERAL goats for sale, depending on your lodge's budget.

I got this site from an old and forgotten TC post about Masons.

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/demoulin/index.htm

F
foamy posted on Wed, Jun 30, 2004 8:49 AM

"Your post gives me pause. Dare I dare ... ? "

Why not? It's one of the last and certainly the greatest of the once very popular fraternal organizations. Masonic philanthropy is unmatched and very much under the radar. Shriner's have real fez's and the whole thing fits the tiki lifestyle perfectly.

The Stone Cutters song, while tongue-in-cheek, is not too far off... that, and Masons take care of their own.

JTD, that's very gratifing to hear. May his progress continue.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-06-30 08:59 ]

Some TCers thought my insistence on spanking was provocative. As you will see from this page in a Masonic supply catalogue, it was not provacative but purely journalistic:

F
foamy posted on Wed, Jun 30, 2004 9:07 AM

Ha ha ha! Gotta look for one 'o them catalogs.

i had to dredge this one up again, 'cause i am renting a masonic lodge for the big Mondo Lounge party this fall... so we will be infusing a little tiki into the Masons for the night...

I also found out that they are not allowed to advertise or promote whatsoever - you have to ask a mason and express interest in becoming one to become one - they will never ask you.

so if there are any centralites who were on the fence about joining the fezters - just ask!

UJ

I am an Odd Fellow. http://www.ioof.org

basically the poor man's masons

M

I don't believe that a Shriner is a "higher order" of Mason- My understanding is that once you are a Master Mason, that's as high as it gets- doesn't matter if you go Scottish Rite or what not. It's just an off shoot. I have a friend who is a Mason (he's 32) and yes, he says his lodge is having a tough time with new members. I wish I had enough time to get involved- I hate to see things like this go quiet.

UJ

One of the brother's in the lodge with me, Bruce Webb (also our jug player in our band), is a collector or fraternal items. He told me to check out this site: http://www.demoulincollectors.com
They have a book called "Three frenchmen and a goat", he wrote to forward to it.

also if you notice the building is shaped like and "M"... for Mason?
Actually in the picture it looks like a "W", but I think I know better.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-08-04 20:33 ]

S

I was a DeMolay. Had it's ups and downs, but gave me plenty to do that I am VERY grateful for. (About the time I was hitting adolescence my folks decided to move to the S.F.Peninsula, which was (maybe still is) deadly dull back in the 70s). Actually I was sort of kicked out, but that's another story.

Anyway, those guys do alot of good for kids and the community, etc, which is something that seems to have fallen by the societal wayside of late.

So here's the interesting tidbit. I can't confirm or deny, but the story is that the KKK is actually some sort of mutant offshoot of the Masons. Wherever I picked this up, it seemed pretty convincing at the time. Anyone have any info?

Yes. Spy Tiki, I think I can answer this question.

The Masons were an an honored and "mysterious" society of fairly old origins, and at the time the KKK was conceived these sorts of men's clubs were very popular.

At that time, it was almost impossible to find someone in a small town's -- or even a large town's -- power structure who was not a Mason. In fact, up until basically JFK, every U.S. president was a Mason. So, in the 1870s, when I believe the former Confederate general Nathan Forrest took it in his head to create the KKK, when it came to rituals for their secret society, he very naturally modeled these on Masonic rituals.

Of course, the "core" of Masonry is the brotherhood of Man, and the KKK is the exact opposite. But the ceremonies associated with initiation and the running of their meetings are similiar to the Masons but only because Gen. Forrest was most likely a Mason and this was his only "model" for forming a secret society.

Although I am not a Mason, I am certain they would never have sanctioned an organization like the KKK, as the Masons were one of the first organizations to embrace another ethnicity into their ranks, even in the 1700s. In fact, there are stories of white men who saved their lives during Indian sacrifices by calling out some sort of Masonic "alley alley in free" secret signals and some Indian Mason (!) would immediately halt the procedures and have them let go.

So that, I think, is the connection. Barely none at all.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-08-05 00:23 ]

S

The theme park molestation stories over in the "Bad Tigger" post reminded me of the first time someone tried to molest me as a youth. It was one of the Masons who was an advisor for our DeMolay chapter. And he had a HOOK! Arrrrr little matey!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies