Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Da Hula Blues

Pages: 1 8 replies

I don't know if this rates as tiki music or not, but we like it. The band is Taj Mahal & the Hula Blues. My wife Sally and I have been big fans of Taj Mahal since we first were introduced to his unique, layed back style of down-home blues in the sixties. Taj fell in love (as many do) with the Hawaiian Islands and currently resides on the island of Kauai in the town of Hanapepe. His recent CD "Hanapepe Dream" is a beautiful blend of traditional delta blues & Hawaiian rhythms and themes. A few stand out cuts are Blackjack Davey, King Edward's Throne, Stagger Lee & Living' on Easy (trad Hawaiian). The Hula Blues band's instrumentation consists of acoustic guitar, acoustic bass, liuli ukulele, baritone ukulele, tenor ukulele, Hawaiian steel guitar, tener sax, flute and slack-key guitar.

THE Taj Mahal? From way back?

Can you post a pic of the album?

Aloha Satan's Sin - check out http://brudda.com/kilohana/taj.html# this will be much beddah than my lame ass computer skills can provide. Glad to hear your into Taj. The 1st time I saw him wuz in 1969 at a club in Orange County called The White Room. He was with his orig band including the great guitarist Jesse Davis. Killer! Been a fan ever since.

Yup -- that's the same one, all right.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until the kids get off their computer (which is so much more powerful than my poor little laptop) before I can listen to some of the sound samples!

taj and hula blues is one of the favorites
at the Antigo (wis) tiki bar in my
backyard....in fact my wife and i are
going to catch the band in concert friday
night at Bayfield...just off lake superior
in northern wisconsin....both hula blues
cds are highly recommended

T

Conga I wish I could join you for that show, but the timing just does not work (tickets for show, gas to get to/from show,someone to watch 3 kids, hotel,means ouch for the R Tribe's pocket book) 5 1/2 drive besides, why could they have not played somewhere like GB?

W
wushu posted on Mon, Jul 5, 2004 5:19 AM

Taj is the chameleon of the blues. He infuses so much of passion into what ever style of blues he plays. I haven't heard his newest Hawaiian flavored yet. I reaaly dig the earlier one. Great instrumentation.

C

taj and the band were in fine style friday
night at Bayfield, Wi.....would highly
recommend a visit to Big Top Chautaqua
if you get a chance....great outdoor
venue...and a good concert line-up for
the rest of the summer...visit Taj's
website and catch him somewhere...you won't
be disappointed

Pages: 1 8 replies