Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NW Tiki Crawl 2004 Pix!

Pages: 1 21 replies

K

Here are some of the pix I took during the NW 2004 Tiki Crawl...Apparently I was quite tipsy, as most of the pictures are crappy! Thanks to everyone involved for making this a great 2 days! It was great meeting all of our new Portland neighbors--Pamela and I are looking forward to more rum-soaked fun!

Cheers,

David (aka KingSlod)

The Huge Magazine Tiki Collection, Desktop Patterns, Pics and Links: http://www.hugemagazine.com/html/tiki.html

[ Edited by: kingslod on 2004-06-27 21:08 ]

DZ

Great pix!! How 'bout some names/captions so we can know who's who, where's where, and what's what!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:34 ]

Wow, was that just yesterday? Feels like a week ago already! Man, did I have a blast! Thanks for posting the pics - there will be more soon I'm sure!

Thank you so much everybody, for coming out and making this event such a huge and unexpected success! And thank you to all the folks who brought gifts to the home bar hosts - very considerate! And thank you to Lushy, Kenike's Wahines, The Verbtones, and especially our own Selector Lopaka for great entertainment Saturday night. And biggest mahalos of all to my co-conspirators, Noel, Kim and John, whithout whom this event would not have happened at all.

As tired as we are from all the fun, we're already buzzing about next year!

Indeed - we've got plans for next year!
(insert maniacal laughter)

I would like to thank everyone, very deeply, for coming and playing and making this possible.

And my fellow co-ordinators for doing such an excellent job.

And the weather, for actually behaving itself for once...

You couldn't have asked for better weather on Sunday - it was gorgeous!

What a great time!

i'm green with envy...

you all look so festive!

thanks for posting pics and stories.. i was with you in spirit..

elicia (who had to host a party at my house, and couldnt get out of it to be a part of the NWTC :( )

S

We're green too, but not so much with envy!:) Had a fabulous time this weekend. Thanks so much to our wonderful hosts, will post our pics soon. Some of us are not as chipper as others of us appear to be this morning!

T

Looked like a blast! Wish I didn't have to miss it.

Mark, I like the new look!

I just learned Hoyt Axton wrote "I Ain't Never Been to Spain." Since I ain't never been and I'm going this year, I thought I'd offer that trivia.

"I hear the ladies are insane there, and they sure know how to use it."

H

Wowie zowie, that was great! So nice to see old friends and make some new ones, too. Per usual, I didn't do a very good job of getting around to talk to everyone, these events never seem to last as long as I want them to. Mahalo nui loa to everyone who opened their homes to the marauding band of tikiphiles, and to all the performers, and a HUGE mahalo to the organizers, Kim, tikitronic, TikiMaxton and mrtikibar, I know it was no small feat to pull it all together, but it was a very well-organized, action packed event! Congratulations, and I can't wait until next year! Mahalo also to TikiVixen, for taking me to the airport and volunteering to ferry my winnings to points southward for me.

Monica & I stayed at the Palms, which was every bit as sketchy and loveable as ever!

Either the bathtub at the Palms is really quite amazingly small, or Monica and I have grown quite a bit.

Mural at the Alibi

I love how dark the Alibi is, it takes a good five or ten minutes for your eyes to adjust, and it's quite shocking when you leave and it's still bright daylight out

Travellin' Tiki, Melintur, TikiVixen, TikiMaxton

Melintur, Selector Lopaka, puamana

TikiMama reaches the end of her drink and is not happy about it, TikiVixen makes a sympathy grimace.

Crowd shot

My girlfriend Monica, mrsmiley, TikiMaxton's bustier half

Melintur, Man About Town

Tropical drink detritus in the parking lot

A Mai Tai at the Jasmine Tree--I quite rather like the garnish, although it looks like it belongs on a pig more than on a drink. The Mai Tais were not made with pineapple juice, strictly speaking--they were made from the syrup the canned pineapple rings are packed in.

Shecky made it!

I bought a buncha tickets, and it paid off handsomely... I won a very nice tiki plaque by woofmutt, and a framed print by Travellin' Tiki.

The dancers were a wonderful touch

These three cannibal tikis reportedly came from the Portland Kon-Tiki.

An irresistable offer.

Our new tiki mugs got along well...

...very, very well. Hot tiki mug action.

Ménage à tiki

The swell tiki artwork by woofmutt that I won

Moody tiki at mrtikibar's (another great, super-dark bar, just how I like 'em!)

Crowd shots at mrtikibar's

Beautiful water feature at Maori Man's--their whole house was quite beautiful and packed with some very nice collectibles (and they're hoarding some really spectacular rattan!)

Reunited with my very, very dear Seattle 'ohana, puamana & Selector Lopaka. I miss these guys so much, and it was wonderful to get to catch up with them. Lopaka DJed a great set for us the night before at the Jasmine Tree, and everyone got one of his "Music to Crawl By" CDs. PLEASE, come to Los Angeles for a visit soon, I miss you guys too much!

Melintur, standing proud in his new (brand, brand new, and unbelievably together considering they've only been in that house a few months) bar, the Monkey Hut.

Beautiful sign for the Monkey Hut by tikitronic. He does fantastic work, it reminds me of the stuff Oceanic Arts did for the Polynesian Resort at WDW (only better... shhh!)

TikiVixen, Sparklegem & me on the bed in TikiMama & Melintur's living room. Gotta love folks who have the good sense to put a bed in their living room, yet more evidence they're my kind of people!

Crowd shots at TikiMama & Melintur's

Yet another tantalizing offer from mrsmiley. This is the picture I was taking in kingslod's photo above. If you'd like to earn mrsmiley's beads, be sure to ask him about it at the next event, he never did unload them.

Crowd shot at TikiMaxton's Castaway Cove--a bar that simply defies description and must be seen to be believed.

More photos here

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-06-28 21:26 ]

I just wanted to add my thanks to Tikimaxton, Tikitronic, Kim, and John for a really great time. It was my first real tiki event and in addition to agreeing with previous compliments in this thread, the fun of this sort of thing really comes down to the personalities of attendees and especially the hosts. And this was a blast.

P.S. Just for the record, I am still not a serial killer and I've never, ever stolen anybody's chair -- regardless of any wild mai tai soaked memories you may hear from a few imaginative tiki women.

Wasn't that your brother?

Re. TNTiki's question:
"Why is everyone coming out of the bushes?"

I was told that one of the most sacred rules of Tikimaxtonia is that "What happens in the bushes stays in the bushes."

Great pics! Another tiki crawl i had to miss, oh well, theirs always ITD.

tbird.

Thanks for the great pics, Kingslod and Humuhumu!

I don't know who you could be talking about. :) Only YOU are keeping that serial killer rumour afloat by mentioning it again! However, I can change the direction that your tainted reputation is taking by telling everyone a couple of post Tiki Crawl factoids.

Monkeyskull was actually a real sweetheart and joined us on the Max train from the Alibi back downtown. While we ran our Tiki Mugs up to our hotel room he figured out how to get to the Jasmine Tree and even called a cab for us all. If he's a serial killer, then he's a charming one. Ok, ok...he's not one. :wink: He definitely played a role in my Mai Tai hangover, but that's really not his fault, now is it? I'd let him into my Tiki Room (but would probably need to keep the hidden videocam running...you know...just in case). snerk. Thanks again for the super fun time, Monkeyskull, and to all the fun people who crossed my path!! My first Crawl was a definite success and my sister had a great time too.

K

I finally have some time to post some much deserved 'THANK YOUS' to all who put together such a fun and exciting Tiki Crawl! Many thanks to the bartenders at the Alibi and the Jasmine Tree who worked so hard to cut up all that garnish fruit and mix all those Mai-Tais, Zombies, Blue Hawaiians, Banana Cabanas, and everything else us thirsty and demanding tikiers desired! Thank you so much to Lushy who was incredible on stage and has me now addicted to their music! Thanks to Kenike's Wahines who were so colorfully swaying and portraying authentic cultural and beautiful stories with their dance, smiles, and ball-swirling (you had to be there!), and a special thanks to the young male dancer for his traditional renditions of male hula! WOWZA! Thanks too to the Verbtones! Man, I love upbeat surf music...and what a nice incentive to keep me working on my super-fast surf-drumming skills (which aren't so super-fast right now)! Thanks to Selector Lopaka for the dj exoticatunes and especially for the cd collection he put together! How nice was that! Thanks to Tiki Farm for creating the NW Tiki Crawl mug! Thank you to the all the vendors who had wonderful and creatively made tiki drums, pendants, artwork, mugs, garden tikis and other offerings! I will definitely be contacting each of you after payday! Another thanks to those who donated cool and coveted items for the raffle! Some people have all the luck, but it was fun trying! Thank you to the owners of the Alibi and the Jasmine Tree for having us and keeping tiki alive in the Northwest! Many thanks to the tour bus company and especially the superb friendly bus driver for getting us all around metro-Portland safely! It ain't easy maneuvering a giant WikiWiki bus full of excited inebriated Hawaiian clad tiki junkies thru tight residential round-abouts! I can't thank the organizers of the Tiki Crawl enough...it was really really really really fun and so very well organized! And another gigantic thanks to all and their families (Mr. Tiki Bar, Maori Man, Melintur and Tiki Mama, and TikiMaxton) who opened their homes to us (many of us complete strangers to them...or just completely strange) and provided us with tasty tropical beverages and delectable mouth-watering pu-pus that kept us energized! Thanks to whoever for the excellent weather! Thanks to the Palms Motel for turning the neon sign on for us and providing us with clean towels! Thanks to Maori man, Tiki Vixen and Mr. Smiley for introducing us to Voodoo Donuts! Whatta trip! Thanks to Kingslod, Humuhumu, ExotiCat, and Monkeyskull for posting great pics on TC!
All in all, a terrific gathering of intelligent, humorous, fun-loving, generous, talented, zombie-swilling, recumbent-bike-ridin, tiki-loving, polynesian-pop people. Last weekend convinced me that TCers (and wildlife biologists) are the best people around! AND if you all are EVER in the Reno-Lake Tahoe area, send me a note at [email protected]
Cheers to you all! Kris (Kalikiana) and Eric (we will call him...ManuMan).

M

Thanks for the pics, Bruce! That sure was a fun visit. Come back and see us again soon!

M

I love Portland, I hope to be up there in a few months! thanks again, everyone.

M

Bruce,
I enjoyed your Portland photos and your holiday pics from Las Vegas as well. Did you go into the Portland Outdoor Store? I bought a great western shirt there last month
after observing happy hour around the corner at Dan and Louie's Oyster Bar. Drinking and shopping...look out!

M

On 2005-01-04 17:57, mrtikibar wrote:
Bruce,
I enjoyed your Portland photos and your holiday pics from Las Vegas as well. Did you go into the Portland Outdoor Store? I bought a great western shirt there last month
after observing happy hour around the corner at Dan and Louie's Oyster Bar. Drinking and shopping...look out!

They had some vintage/dead stock pants I was tempted to buy until I saw the extra high price. Walked out empty handed.

OK... So these might be a little bit late, but better late than never.
Here are some pics from the NW Tiki Crawl planning party.(shhh 2004)

I'm really wondering if anyone has any pics from the 2005 Home bar tour.
We were so busy hosting that we left our cameras in cases.
There were a mess of pictures that were up on one of the posts about the NW Tiki Crawl 2005 but the links are all dead. Humuhumu's are still there, but if anyone has any pics from 2004 or 2005 NW Tiki Crawls please post them.
Thanks
Mark

Mr. Smiley and Tiki Vixen had decided to grace us in Portland with an appearance,

of course there was extreme karaoke.

and then things got blurry....

No flash + 3 Mai Tai's=this

Sparklegem

Tikimaxton hosting and organizing

Pages: 1 21 replies