Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trouble in paradise?

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

The bad news is that article only talks about Schofield Barracks, remember there is a Marine base, Pearl Harbor Naval base, and I think a Air Force station which also have towns dependant on the service men. So I wonder is it as bad at those other areas?

This is just a hiccup, in my opinion. The military is there long-term and big-time. Hawaii is too strategic.

Was there for a port call when I was in the Navy (the tikiest of the services, surely). It's amazing how much of the land there is owned by the military.

Yeah its a shame, but surely business' that opened to cater for the forces must have known that at some time this was a possibility. As they say its the nature of the game.Lets hope it returns to normal soon

Towns surronding military bases are very dependant on those bases. When I was at China Lake Navel Weapons Center in the Mojave desert, the surronding town - Ridgecrest - all but went into depression when the Navy started to downsize China Lake.

(The bar girl population in the Philipines had to start taking accounting classed after the U.S pulled out (no pun inteneded))

On 2004-06-29 08:48, cheekytiki wrote:
Yeah its a shame, but surely business' that opened to cater for the forces must have known that at some time this was a possibility. As they say its the nature of the game.Lets hope it returns to normal soon

"Live by the sword, die by the sword."

But yes, if I understand correctly, the US military is the 2nd largest source of income after tourism - so the loss of troops/customers will be very noticeable.

I, too, hope (as Independence Day approaches) normalcy returns and the young men & women and the service contractors from Haliburton, etc., can return home safely & soon.

Pages: 1 5 replies