Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Trader Vic's San Francisco pictures!

Pages: 1 27 replies

This is gonna be some Tiki Palace!!!

ok...so it still needs a LITTLE more work! :)
Notice "Mai Tai Investors" on the liquor license apllication. This is located at 555 Golden Gate Ave near Van Ness in SF.

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-06-29 22:32 ]

Parking looks great. Definate valet lot.
Thanks for the pics Mrsmiley!

On 2004-06-29 22:31, mrsmiley wrote:
This is gonna be some Tiki Palace!!!

Why, this is the new "sparse" look, the latest in Tiki understatement!

Is that Jeremiah Towers' old place?

On 2004-06-30 15:36, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Is that Jeremiah Towers' old place?

Yes, it used to be Stars and Stars Cafe.

From the ashes of one of SF's most recognized resaurants will arise on of SF's most recognized tiki meccas. Bring it on!

T

can't wait! anyone know when the projected opening date for the new Vics is?

That little piece of paper brings great news! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics as the transformation takes place.
Bring it on!

Trader Woody

Just spoke with Sven Koch VP of Trader Vic's on his visit to Atlanta this week about this new location.

Sven said they will not be opening another location with the look of Palo Alto. This new location will receive a look of the old and the new. He also said that all future locations, including this one, will be partly owned by Trader Vic's and not be franchised on their own. This is good news!

He also said the bar is huge!

They are also unable to decorate the facade of building due to city code. So what you see here is what you'll get at the end of September besides a great Trader Vic's sign.

UB

*On 2004-08-04 15:48, tiki_kiliki wrote:*They are also unable to decorate the facade of building due to city code. So what you see here is what you'll get at the end of September besides a great Trader Vic's sign.

I would hope TV could get some type of Zoning variance, or at least hire a good exterior desinger. I think there are too many windows looking onto a busy street, as opposed to overlooking the bay.

I'm also concerned about the definite lack of any palm trees or green vegetatation outside, although there appears to be sufficient room for a tiki or two in the doorway.

The place is not like Stars where you want everyone to look at you so you can be seen.

Has anyone heard of an opening date yet?
No phone number in 411 info yet.

M

On 2004-08-16 14:24, Unga Bunga wrote:

I drove by a week ago and it looks mostly the same--my guess is MUCH later this year for the opening.

On 2004-08-16 15:21, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2004-08-16 14:24, Unga Bunga wrote:

I drove by a week ago and it looks mostly the same--my guess is MUCH later this year for the opening.

The cold weather will be sufficeint excuse for Trader Vic's to close off a portion of the street and light bon-fires to worship the tiki gods and consecrate what undoubtably will be a most holy tiki shrine.

The opening is set for late September/ early October, as set forth below.

Trader Vic's is utilizing the Trader Vics Vice President, Asia, to ensure a smooth opening.

Do I recall that Trader Vics will thus be serving mojitos in a frozen glass?

The article states:

Tokyo's loss has become San Francisco's gain with the arrival of Rene Purro, longtime manager of Trader Vic's Tokyo restaurant in The New Otani Hotel, as well as being responsible for all Trader Vic's operations in Asia with the title of vice president, T.V. Asia. Rene will continue supervising the above operations, making timely trips here and there while in addition holding the title of vice president special projects. Which is what has brought Purro back to Trader Vic's headquarters in San Francisco. The special project he now is supervising is the opening of Trader Vic's new kid on the block, Trader Vic's San Francisco, in close proximity to the Opera House, Symphony Hall, City Hall and the magnificent new Asian Art Museum. Who could ask for anything more? The restaurant is in the final stages of preparation, with the opening scheduled sometime in late September or early October. I'll keep you posted. The interior designer is the famous Lun Chan, who has designed many of Trader Vic's properties, including the original one in San Francisco, the one in Tokyo and another in the New Otani Osaka.
http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fl20040807jr.htm

B

That truly is a loss for the Tokyo Vic's!

We met him a while back on our annual (semi-annual, quaterly) pilgramage to the Tokto tiki establishemnts and, since then, whenever he see's my family entering Vic's he remembers us (the odd American Tiki fans with the 8-year-old) and we end up talking for 15-20 minutes. He is a classy guy, I'd use the retro throwback term "gentleman" in regards to him.

M

Very small but VERY enticing illustration from the Vic's website:

Looking at mid October opening right now. Will keep this thread posted....

T

On 2004-09-15 15:00, martiki wrote:

Woo hoo! Eat your heart out E & O Trading Co., who have the nerve to pineapple juice in their Mai Tai, and even in their Singapore Sling!

Martiki, I'm not gonna let you get ahead of me, you bastard! Arrggh!

M

On 2004-09-15 15:06, thejab wrote:

On 2004-09-15 15:00, martiki wrote:

Woo hoo! Eat your heart out E & O Trading Co., who have the nerve to pineapple juice in their Mai Tai, and even in their Singapore Sling!

Martiki, I'm not gonna let you get ahead of me, you bastard! Arrggh!

No pineapple juice in Mai Tais?!?!!? Millions of Party Store decoration can't be wrong!!!!! Can they?? Dang, now I will have to return that pallet of pineapple juice in my garage! :)

Martiki:

What great news!

Setting a new standard for an Elite Central Tiki Agent - particularly if you post still more regular updates - we are only 30 days out from mid-October.

K

I'm psyched! I'm planning a trip back to the city in October, and now I can work around the opening. Hope it stays on schedule!

[i]On 2004-09-16 14:24, kingslod wrote:

I'm psyched! I'm planning a trip back to the city in October, and now I can work around the opening. Hope it stays on schedule!

When exactly is the opening?

There may be other TCers who wish to pay homage at the inauguration of this newest tiki mecca.

M

Exact date still fuzzy according to the corporate office. I will of course keep the ohana posted.

M

Like I said in the other post, I got booted out of the new Trader Vics when I was trying to take some pictures last night at the VIP Party. The front of the place is still like my original pictures, except they rented some tall potted plants to hide the ugly wall for the party. They had wooden blinds drawn on the windows so I couldn't look in. The hallway does look nice, with tapa on the walls and a long skinny canoe (no outrigger) hanging from the flat ceiling. I proceeded to the back alley which had been closed off to the public because a big party tented had been erected behind Trader Vics. I took some more photos and the kind Guard beckoned me to come closer and look in the tent. I saw the Brazilian style dancers dancing to Carnival type music. Not very Tiki, but it looked like OTTO AND BABY DOE were enjoying the show! I can't wait to get inside.

M

I ...just...talked...to...a...woman...at... Trader...Vics...in...SanFranciscoAndShe SaidTheyAreOPEN!!!!!!! zazz!!!!!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-03 17:21 ]

M

Here is a story for you---the author remains anonymous. This is real it is not fiction!!
"My tongue's taste buds were working overtime-not overtime from actually tasting the food or the Doctor Funk's Son that I had ordered a moment ago. No, they were working overtime from tasting the excitement that danced in the air around me. Excitement in everyone present. They were tasting the smells from those who had already rec'd their food--lobster, salmon, rack of lamb, oysters, duck.
My tongue was getting tired , but I didn't mind: here I was in Trader Vics in SF. It has reopened! It has returned to the city it left about 10 years ago. And what a triumphant return it is!
And then my drink arrived-an ice cone holding the special elixer! I am glad the Doctor prescribed this drink to me! I am glad that Trader Vics is back in SF and happy to serve it to me. As I sipped and savored the drink, I looked around and had my senses "drink" in the atmosphere-the excited patrons (as I mentioned earlier) and the incredible blend of old Tiki and a modern, upscale restaurant. Much better looking than Palo Alto- a much warmer feeeling. The tapa cloth, the giant outrigger hanging over the bar area all added to the traditional feeling.
Traders Vics has returned and it wants to conquer!!! More later...."

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-11-03 17:19 ]

M

Let the drinking begin!!!!!!!

M

Can everyone tell I am excited!!! I work about a 10 minute walk from Vic's and will probably spend many an evening after work there before I go home.

Pages: 1 27 replies