Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Bizzare new Esquivel CD released in Mexico only....

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hello,
I just returned from a trip to Mexico. I visited a few CD stores and found a new Esquivel related CD. Back in the 70s Esquivel worked on at least 3 (probably more) LPs for a Mexican children's show called Burbujas. Think of it as the Mexican version of HR Pufnstuf. Well, just recently the show was remade in Mexico and a compilation CD released. It has 14 tracks most by Esquivel (wrote, arranged, performed). The only track not by Esquivel is the opening title track from the new show which is a bad techno sounding song. Other than that, the rest of the CD is pure weird Esquivel. The CD is called Burbujas (no performer's name which would also be Burbujas). I just finished listening to it. It is odd....

Your friend,
Louis

Can you post a pic of the cover?

W
wushu posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2004 4:47 AM

!equivel es el hombre!

I

I found a vinyl copy of this in a thrift store a few years ago. If a photo of it doesn't appear here soon, I'll take my camera and try to post a quick snapshot.

Vern

W
wushu posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2004 5:52 AM

If you dig Esquivel, which obviously you do, check out this guy named Andre Popp. He is like the french esquivel, a composer, arranger, and producer. He was one of the first composer to do some serious knob tweaking in the studio and came up with a crazy album called Delerium in Hi-Fi. I got the CD on amazon used. It is bizaar stuff, like Bach on meth, I supposed very strange, but very good. It was originally recorded in 1957. Just FYI...later

I found this for sale on eil.com.

so it's H.R. Pufnstuf on MORE acid... and some mezcal and peyote and...

T

Yes very Pufnstuf, speaking of.....Did you know that a couple of months ago the entire H.R. Pufnstuf series was made available in one convenient box set. Not to get too off track I recently seen a short film spin off called H.R. Puke-n-shit. One of the grossest and funniest things I have ever saw.

Hello,
Not to keep detracting from the subject but yes, I did pick up the Pufnstuf DVD box set. Now if they could only release Pufnstuf the movie on DVD I would be very happy (Hello Universal!). Mama Cass was great in that. Anyways, the Burbujas picture that was posted is for the original vinyl release from 1978 or 79. The CD that was recently released is not a re-issue of any of the albums but more of a compilation from several different late 70s early 80s Esquivel-made LPs. I just listened to it a second time. Some surprisingly good music behind some sometimes-anoying, but always odd vocals. Very high production standards though. There are a number of outstanding Esquivel pieces. I believe all the songs are Esquivel except for the first track which is the title theme to the new remake of the show. This is the first and only time any of this Esquivel music has been released. I'll trade a copy for the compilations CDs that are out of print that combined several covers of exotic songs such as Caravan and Quiet Village (I believe)...
And since the Burbujas CD is unavailable in the US and the Exotica CD(s) are out of print... there is no guilt to be had... :)
[email protected]

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 7:52 PM

If anyone want this CD I can get it for you.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 9:18 PM

Hi

Just a fun photo posting here for you. Silvia Roche, producer of Burujas, is pictured here at the national homage to Esquivel at which the Orchestrotica played in 2006. He indeed did the music for this show, and many young Mexicans know Esquivel solely through this output. Also pictured are two reps from Arteria Productions who brought the Orchestrotica out to Mexico twice, Irwin Chusid (the estate manager and WFMU DJ kneeling at right), Mario (one of Esquivel's sons with a pizzeria in Taxco, Mexico), Brother Cleve, and myself. More photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/24117555@N03/sets/72157607829434016/

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 10 replies