Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Orlando Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 27 replies

TB

Orlando will have it's very own tiki bar slated to open next month!!!!
It's called the Waitiki, a full service bar and café on the ground floor of a 2 story building with the Monkey Bar a full service martini & classic cocktail bar located on the 2nd floor. Nestled in Wall Street Plaza, this has got to be the best location in the downtown area. Both bars have a large outside balcony that overlooks the plaza and Heritage Square (a small urban park), and the Orlando History Center.  The Monkey Bar will also sport a large circular bar serving people on the outside patio and inside the bar.

I had the privilege of touring the construction site and at a price tag of over a million, it promises to be sensational!

Here's the lowdown:
Opening is scheduled for the first week of August...TBA.

Joel, the gracious owner, traveled to Mozambique and shipped back 3 containers full of wood carvings, teak flooring, grass thatch, and antique iron wood (a very strong and beautiful wood that was taken from the Freetown to Capetown, cross-continental railroad track).  At the time I visited Waitiki, the iron wood had been installed around the bar (which sits in the center of the room) and the teak flooring was beginning to be installed. The main craftsman doing the installations is from New Zealand and has a special affinity for this style.

Waitiki will be loaded with art and it's a mix of traditional Polynesian carvings and modern renderings from artists like Shag (reproductions), Joe & Donella Vitale, Flounder, & ‘Swamp Fire Lounge’ artist Doug Horne. I saw some of Wayne Coombs best tikis leaning against a wall in a room of tikis along with large canvases, and adorable monkeys-with-fezes wood sculptures, all awaiting installation.

One of my first questions was about the style of music that will be played and they assured me that the Waitiki soundtrack will be a mix of traditional exotica, surf music and rock & roll.  You will not hear any Top 40, dance music or hip-hop played in Waitiki! Live entertainment is being scheduled as we speak and will feature a “Lounge Lizard Night”.  Every Thursday night, different lounge acts (Asian Elvis, etc.) from across the states will be playing alongside the house band.

Of course my next question was about the drinks........they informed me that Waitiki’s specialty drink menu will feature twelve tiki cocktails, all made with fresh squeezed juices and beautiful garnishes.

When I saw the kitchen, I was curious about the types of dishes offered on the menu. Julia Bessire, the adorable PR goddess for Waitiki provided me with some menu details.

The Waitiki café menu includes some modern twists on some old tiki classics
(Hawaiian Pork Sandwich) alongside new dishes integrating fresh Florida
seafood, Asian ingredients and Caribbean flavors.   
Tuna Ceviche "cooked" in cool citrus juices with cucumbers, mango and kiwi. 
Served with fried wontons.
Seared Scallops with sweet chili cream sauce
Macadamia Nut & Coconut Crusted Chicken Sandwich
Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich – marinated in a Hawaiian sweet & sour sauce,
topped with Asian coleslaw.
Fresh Catch with tiki rum demi-glace.

Sample Monkey Bar cocktail: 
The Linda Lovelace Martini – Our Peaches & Cream Martini made with Vanilla
Vodka, Grand Marnier, Fresh Peach Nectar and a kiss of cream, all resting
under an Apple Blossom Flower. 

Needles to say, it's very exciting to watch the birth of a new tiki bar and have it in my own backyard!!! I will post news about the opening date as soon as I hear...............

P.S. Thank you Joe and Donella!!!!!!!!!

I love the phrase "traditional exotica."

I also love "downtown Orlando." I've been to O on business a few times, and I always ask where downtown is and they say "we just passed it!"

Pls post pix when you can, and don't forget to send your careful notes to Critiki!

TB

I went to Waitiki last Friday to check the progress on the construction.
Things seem to be coming along nicely: the teak flooring is finished and the bamboo wall covering and herringbone thatch ceiling are complete. Downstairs bar is awaiting the "raincape" thatch for the overhang but the upstairs bar appears finished. I adore the wall color of the Monkey Bar, it the perfect shade of Kiwi and will be a good backdrop for Donella Vitale's art.
The metal safety railing for the upstairs veranda managed to keep with the tiki theme while adhering to mandatory building codes.....it''s shaped like bamboo!!
Speaking of building codes, the exterior of this historic building had to remain true to its original architecture (which is a good thing), so it could not be fashioned in a suitable tiki facade. However it has been painted in vibrant warm tones detailing the architectural elements.

Julia promised to release an opening date soon, and as anxious as I am to experience Waitiki, I am very content to patiently wait and give all the artisans time to do what they do best!!

This place sounds so awesome, from the interior to the food and drink menu, please pass on my apprecation to the people doing all of this, it sounds like they are truly investing in a unique tiki experience.

Great to hear that they're doing things right!

Did you see where the bandstand will be? I ask because The Vodkanauts have been contacted about performing there ...

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:38 ]

On 2004-07-12 19:07, tweedtone wrote:
Great to hear that they're doing things right!

Did you see where the bandstand will be? I ask because The Vodkanauts have been contacted about performing there ...

The stage is downstairs as you walk in the door. If my memory is correct it was very small.

TB

On 2004-07-13 05:52, FLOUNDERart wrote:
The stage is downstairs as you walk in the door. If my memory is correct it was very small.

Yes, the stage area is a small raised triangular space nestled in the front corner of the main floor. It would be challenging to fit an entire band on the platform, but a drummer and his kit would fit just fine with gutiar players on the floor right in front. Joel has mentioned erecting an outdoor stage for special events, but the indoor acts would most likely use the small stage. Be sure to ask Julia where you'd be set up and let her know what your space requirements are. It will be fabulous to see you here!!!

Bree:

My contact there is a "Caitlin" - have you met her ...?

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2004-07-13 15:15 ]

TB

Yes, I just met Caitlin last Friday.......she was out when I first toured the site.

By the way, how are you??? Long time, no see..........we're still very grateful for the ride to Julian's!!!!! Let us know when you want to go back, ok?

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree on 2004-07-13 19:39 ]

[i]By the way, how are you??? Long time, no see..........we're still very grateful for the ride to Julian's!!!!! Let us know when you want to go back, ok?

Overall, things are good. been job hunting lately, got some cool temp work to tide me over until something perm comes along.

The Vodkanauts are going gangbusters - have more gig offers than we can do!

Jullian's sure was a trip - talk about frozen in time ...!

On 2004-07-21 17:46, TNTiki wrote:
Are the Vodkanauts going to cut a CD?

At some point, we'd like to. There's some freebie .mp3s on the website (http://www.vodkanauts.com) for y'all to enjoy in the meantime.

As a good deal of our material is reimagining existing material (read: cover tunes), we need to save up to pay for the licensing if we wanna legally sell them. I do hope to have some free giveaway CDs burned in time to hand out at Hukilau.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:43 ]

On 2004-07-22 12:28, TNTiki wrote:
I have listened to the mp3's. I just love your sound. I even ordered one of the t-shirts. This was over a year ago. I am just hoping that you have a CD before long. Too bad I will not be able to make it to Hukilau. Keep up the great work.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Hopefully, come next spring, we'll be able to do some travelling and make it up to your neck of the woods.

T

Mahalo for the sweet mp3's, loving em as I type away here,look forward to seeing you guys at the Hukilau.

I talked to Joel today and he is planning on having the grand opening on the second week in August. From the way he was talking this is going to be an invite grand opening then there will be another one probably on the third weekend. This is not final and will probably change. The place is really coming along but is still a mess. I really think it's going to be a sweet bar. They are going to start hanging the art work and decorating soon.

Here's four paintings I did for Wai Tiki.

Mr. Bali Hai 16"x20"

Marquesas and Moai 12"x24"

The big one 36"x60". Man I wish I could get a better pic of this one but camera just doesn't pick up much detail and there is to much glare. You will have to go to Wai Tiki to see it in person.

Here's one with me in it to see the size. Why do I look so mean?

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-07-23 16:36 ]

T

Your a painter, thought you were one of those mafioso types, he's a bad man, a real bad man. :wink:

P

On 2004-07-23 18:18, pablus wrote:

Julia at Waitiki just sent me an email announcing the Grand Opening date.................
" The bar will most likely be finished by this weekend and we are planning a Grand Opening on August 12th. It will be from 6-8 with free food and drinks of course. I have just booked a Hawaiian Elvis tribute show for the opening (complete with hula dancers, fire-knife dancers and of course Hawaiian Elvis) and I am also working on booking another surf-rock band for that night as well."

Since this is a Thursday night, we are planning a special party for Tiki Central at another date (TBA).

So, if you live in Central Florida, it would be great to see you at the Grand Opening on the 12th. Please let me know if you plan on attending.

I'll keep everyone informed as we work out details for a special Tiki Central night.

P

Since this is 2 days before International Tiki Day - why not have the TC night on Aug. 14th?

If not, we need to have an East Coast Tiki Revival Int. Tiki Day somewhere. Or I may just have to fly out to LA.

J

I'll be there!
Can't wait for it. Finally, someplace to go downtown besides Scruffy's and the Independent Bar.
As for a TC day, any day is fine with me.
Pablus, any word on an East Coaster? I need to buy you a drink to make up for the fine ones you made me at the Hawaiian Inn...

TB

On 2004-07-27 21:06, pablus wrote:

Since this is 2 days before International Tiki Day - why not have the TC night on Aug. 14th?

If not, we need to have an East Coast Tiki Revival Int. Tiki Day somewhere.

I'm checking with Julia about your fabulous suggestion......and will get back as soon as I have a response.

p.s. Miss ya!

S

I'll be there!

PI

I can't wait! We've been going to the Big Bamboo for years but now that it's closed (not permanently YET) and want to check out some tiki downtown.

Let me know any info you can at [email protected]

Also, my boyfriend is an artist and does Tiki paintings, designs bars, murals, whatever, if you're looking for some extra help.

TB

August 14th it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the scoop, we can lock down the date for Tiki Central east coasters to celebrate Internatonal Tiki Day and Waitiki opening.

Since this topic has now become an official event, may I direct everybody to the Events page for details?

It's gonna be wonderful to for all us Southeast Tiki pals to christen Waitiki!!!

S

Bre-elle,
We sent out news to about 800, with lots of FL people today, so update the thread in the Tiki Events forum with the date, etc. for those checking in!

TB

Thanks, Swanky!!
Please provide my email to anyone who has questions.

LOL..........

Pages: 1 27 replies