Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Waitiki opening party August

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

TB

I am hosting a party to celebrate the opening of Waitiki, Orlando's new tiki bar and cafe.
Since I do not have an official opening date at this time, details will unfold soon. It would be wonderful to share this rare experience with fellow tikiphiles, so I like to, if I may, officially invite all Tiki Central-ites to the opening. Please RSVP if you are interested in attending and I promise I will furnish the August date as soon as I get word from Waitiki.

HL

Sounds like fun. Count me in!

TB

On 2004-07-04 08:46, Hot Lava wrote:
Sounds like fun. Count me in!

Yeaaaaaaaa!!!!! Looking forward to seeinng you!

Hey Pablus, will you be able to come????
I desperately need my Pablus and Amber Goddess fix. It's been tooooooo long......

I'm sure me and the wahine could make it.

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jul 5, 2004 9:37 PM

New tiki bar opening an hour away?

Fantastic. We'll be there.

I hear it's got some "art" by some guy named after a flat fish.

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jul 5, 2004 9:37 PM

And I'll bring a few folks too.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-07-05 21:38 ]

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2004 5:42 AM

I'm in!

TB

Hey Flounder,
I wasnt able to see all the art awaiting installation......I'm anxious to know what amazing piece(s) you contributed to Waikiki????

JTD, it'll be good to see you!!! I enjoyed our visit at Hale Tiki.

Pablus, I await your expert review on their drinks.......

I'm still waiting for an opening date, and will post it when I find out.

H

I won't be able to make it for the opening, but I look forward to scheduling another trip to Orlando at some point! I can't wait to hear how this place turns out.

I've created a record in Critiki, so you guys can add your critiki after you've seen it, if you'd like:
http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=490

Miss you, Bree!

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-06 11:47 ]

Brelle, I'm just getting started on the art so it wasn't there yet. For now I am doing 3 Burlaps and a large 36x60 painting that will go over one of the booths.

Joel told me that you came in, he's a very cool down to earth guy. He told me they were going to be opening in a month but you know how that goes.

It's not going to be totally traditional tiki bar but I think it will be a pretty swinging place.

Pablus, you need more flat fish in your diet.

TB

On 2004-07-06 11:45, Humuhumu wrote:
I won't be able to make it for the opening, but I look forward to scheduling another trip to Orlando
Miss you, Bree!,

I miss you too, Gorgeous!!!! You must come back and we can go ride "The Mummy's Revenge".
There's a possibility that I might get out to California in Oct..............

Flounder,
Joel does seem like a great guy, I was impressed when I met him, and I'm happy that he will be displaying your art in the space!!! It's nice that central Florida tiki artists are being included in this project.

S

Bree, email me or Christie about some great entertainment options not far from you. We will be hearing the Haole Cats live at Tiki Torch Nights this month and they are in Tampa Bay area. And there are more.

Flights to Orlando are usually the cheapest from everywhere...

Glad to hear this place is actually going to open. We'll try our best to be there. It's been too long since the Florida ohana has been together and will be a good chance to catch up with everyone before the Hukilau.
Thanks for the details Bree.
KG

TB

On 2004-07-07 15:00, Kailuageoff wrote:
We'll try our best to be there. It's been too long since the Florida ohana has been together and will be a good chance to catch up with everyone
KG

I was hoping to hear from you, KG!! I agree, it has been far too long since all of us partied together..although.....some of us did visit at Hale Tiki, and we missed you and Marian immensely! If Waitiki is up to our standard, it will be way cool to have a place here in O-Town where we can get together and celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and whatever strikes our fancy.

Swanky,
Yes, I'm interested in any suggestions and/or reviews of Florida acts. Thanx

TB

Lezley, Dave, are you in?????
and......how was Hawaii? Did you make it to la Mariana?

Hey,
We've got some custom pieces we're doing for Waitiki (wainot!?). Hope to have them there by opening... keepin' the fingahs crossed! btw... fun stuff and kind weird... we might very shortly be doing a Gene Hackman designed tiki mug for one of his restaurants.
Holden

On 2004-07-07 12:37, Swanky wrote:
We will be hearing the Haole Cats live at Tiki Torch Nights this month and they are in Tampa Bay area.

Do tell - I can't say I've heard of 'em.

S

Haole Cats were great! Loved 'em. Their website for their other swing personna is http://www.WhollyCatsBand.com We can definitely recommend them to anyone.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-07-28 11:20 ]

TB

August 14, International Tiki Day is the date for the Tiki Central party at Waitiki.

We were planning a 7pm seating for dinner to start the festivities. Could everyone please RSVP with total # of attendees in their party so I can assemble an accurate head count to secure the seating for us all.

Musicans, feel free to bring your instruments for an exotica jam session.
(Pablus, you must bring your uke and lead us in some old Hawaiian standards.)

Calling all Tiki Goddesses..........Since so many wahines wear lovely vintage outfits, it's time for you gals to strut your stuff in an informal fashion show at the party. Please contact me about this activity to discuss more details.

More party particulars will unfold in the days ahead so keep viewing for updates
and please post any questions.

P

Sounds fanastic.

If Flounder is coming - I can't make it.

But if he's not coming then we'll be there by ALL means. He's even more scary now than ever.

I would say that Ona Koka and his wahine will be there. The Amber Love Goddess and myself. Several others with our party I'm sure - once I tell them about it.

Can we hook up for drinks somewhere before the 7pm timeslot?

Since Aug. 14th is a Saturday - we'd probably want to make a day of it.

A stop by here:
http://www.exoticplumeria.com/tourpage.htm

...and then onward to Orlando.

We should be rolling in about 2-3pm or even earlier if you come up with a good plan. I know nothing of Orlando except it's on the way to the Atlantic.

Who's the band that night?

TB

I recommend the Polynesian Hotel at Disney as a nice precursor to Waitiki...........or........The Animal Kingdom Lodge (hotel). Both have splendid decor and good cocktails.

I'll know more about the band as we get closer to the date.

Could you provide a list of some of the tunes you'll be strumming on your uke??
I could print out the words so we can sing along if we want.
We'll be giddy with delight to see you and the elegant Amber Goddess!

J

Hello there!
We'll be there!
Just let us know when...
Hey Tweedtone, you showing up for the opening? Come on down! You can crash at our place!

TB

On 2004-07-30 21:24, JonPez wrote:
Hello there!
We'll be there!

Super!!!! It will be great to see you!

P

Polynesian Hotel sounds great - what time do they open? I can see us hanging there for a couple hours and then running to Waiitiki.

I'll link some songs and lyrics in the TIki Music section in a few days.

A quick sampler would be

Hukilau Song
Having a Luau
Wahine Ilikea
Yellow Ginger Lei
Hawaiian Hula Eyes

...and of course, some Jimmy Booffay'.

Well maybe not, but you get the drift.
More in Tiki Music soon.

EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL™flounder

TB

Pablus, here's the # for the Polynesian:
407-824-2000. They can answer any questions.

Hey, who else is coming on the 14th???????

P
pablus posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 8:54 AM

Well - the Kona Cafe is open for lunch but only until 3pm. That would leave several hours of meandering time.

Our wahines don't like meandering time because that's all usually spent on a barstool.

BUT - the good news is that Jake Shimabukuro is playing the uke in Tampa the night before. We'll all head to The Lagoon after that concert and on Saturday rent a van for the trip to Orlando and Waitiki.

We'll be there about 6:30pm.
Right now we've got 8 on board with room for more. As all things go in Florida that will either whittle down to 4 or ramp up to 14. I'll make everyone decide by this Friday.

T

On 2004-07-30 21:24, JonPez wrote:
Hey Tweedtone, you showing up for the opening? Come on down! You can crash at our place!

Alas, I won't be able to make it there on the 14th ... but funny enough, The Vodkanauts will be the entertainment at Waitiki on Friday, August 13th (as an instrumental four-piece) and on Saturday, September 4th (full band with vocals). I tried to book us on the 14th but alas, somebody had beat me to it, boo-hoo.

Also, we're playing at the House of Blues, in the restaurant part, on Thursday, August 26th. It's free and we play from 11 'til close.

Just tryin' to spread the tiki luv ...

TB

On 2004-08-03 19:37, tweedtone wrote:
Alas, I won't be able to make it there on the 14th ...

Boo-hoo-hoo, wah and more!!!!! How sad that you wont be at the party.......But we'll stop by and catch the act when you're there...glad you got the booking!!

TB

By the way, I am assembling a pretty impressive array of doorprizes for the party. I'll tell more when I get the full list.
It's some mighty enticing stuff donated by some of our "tiki greats" and local businesses............

Hey Tiki Bree! We are totally excited! Neptune Tiki was confused about the dates and thought it was this weekend and there was noooooooo way, BUT since it's next weekend ...... count us IN! More importantly......what are you wearing? I'll call you tomorrow (Thursday)!

TB

I haven't decided what to wear. There's not much time to sew up a new sarong
(even though I got some great fabric in Augusta [thanx Brad!!!!]). So I just might have to wear something I've already worn....."oh the horror!!!!"
I cant wait to see you again,
Miss Wahine #1 (from the infamous "3 Wahines" photo).

Hi All;

I just spoke with Joelle, and it looks like we can make it up for the opening ... been working WAY too hard lately and a party is just what we need to bang our heads back into shape!

Cheers!

Stay on the beach. The natives over there are cannibals.
They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.

http://www.cybertiki.com

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-08-07 10:39 ]

T

Aloha!..Is this an RSVP deal? My surf betty and I would to come and hang wif da crew! Address, time, etc...?

TB

On 2004-08-07 17:06, TikiDeeZZ wrote:
Aloha!..Is this an RSVP deal? My surf betty and I would to come and hang wif da crew! Address, time, etc...?

Yes, we are encouraging RSVP's so we can reserve tables. The Waitiki is open to the public during the time of the party and they want us Tiki Centralites to have seats/tables.
The lounge is located in Wall St. Plaza just off Orange ave in downtown Orlando 1/2 block N of Central. I'll be happy to email you the info on the bash, we'd love to have you!

Im coming back home this coming week and am trying to round up some friends for the grand opening, put me down for 6!

Btw, a good friend of mine Steve Barton is playing at High Tide Harry's on Wed nites from about 7 to 10, his music is "Original Home Grown Music", we are having a little homecoming party and all are welcome.

See ya in O-Town!

TB

Excellent, I'll include your group RSVP.
I'll email an invite in case you need more info......

TB

I am so stoked!!!! I just confirmed some of the doorprizes that will be given away at the party.
First of all, Hilo Hatties is giving discount cards in all of the goodie bags that the first 75 guests will receive, and they also have contributed a gift basket filled with assorted tiki items for a door prize.
Duke & Amy Carter have donated a copy of Tiki Quest to be given as a door prize.
The Hampton Inn in Altamonte Springs has donated a 2 night weekend stay at their hotel as a doorprize.
Goodie bags will also contain items from Mai Tiki, Cocoa Beach; Orlando Vintage Clothing, Winter Park; and a copy of Mai Tai (for the first 50 receipients)from our pals in Canada.
I'm still making calls to round up more goodies, and hope to have more by Saturday. This is so much fun!!!!!!!

If you haven't RSVP yet, please do ASAP so I can give Julia a headcount to reserve tables.

TB

There's more!!!!!
Joe Vitale is graciously donating several signed tiki mugs as doorprizes and the beautiful Donella is giving prints of her art that is featured in the lounge!!!
The rules for the prizes are:
Fill in an entry at the party and attend the drawing. (You MUST be present to claim your prize, no prizes will be held, shipped or delivered after the party.)
1 (one) entry per person (duplicates will be discarded).

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree on 2004-08-09 08:02 ]

PI

Put me down for 2 (I tried to send an email to you put my computer is on crack). We're so excited!

Anna

TB

Hi Anna, I think I received your RSVP, but thanks for the post!! "Better safe..............."
I'm impressed by the interest in this event and am looking forward to spending quality time with the East Coast Tiki Contingent.( ECTC, is this a new acromyn??) And I'm really looking forward to awarding the door prizes!!! Here's hoping that this will be the first of many events here in Central Florida.

H

Wish I could join my East Coast Tiki Revival! brothers and sisters! I'll be with you in spirit. Can't wait to see pics of this new place.

TB

And we wish you could be here, too!!! Nothing lights up a room like your adorable smile......and more.

T

(shameless self-promotion to follow)

For those who really, REALLY can't wait until Saturday to sample the paradisical pleasures that are Waitiki ... make a weekend out of it! :)

Fri • 08/13/04
The Vodkanauts
@ Waitiki
25 Wall St., Orlando, FL • (407) 849-9904
showtime 10:30pm - 1am; admission free

No, we won't have Bree's cool-ass door prizes ... but we are working up "Quiet Village" and "Yellow Bird" for the occasion ...

TB

Hurray for shameless self promotion!!!!

HL

I'll be showing up uke and wahine in hand. I know a couple of island tunes and a couple from the mainland too!

TB

Which tunes are you planning? Maybe I can look up the lyrics for the rest of us......

P

Alright - more ukes.

I can see us all singing and swaying under a roof of starlight and palm fronds at 4am, then getting pepper sprayed by the OPD.

We're bringing 6 total, btw.
EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL!™flounder

BTW, Hot Lava - you going to Jake S. on the 13th in Tampa? Anyone else?

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-08-10 08:43 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2004 10:12 AM

I will in attendance with one guest. Save us a seat!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies