Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hawaiian Shirts

Pages: 1 21 replies

HH

So anyone else collect them, or tiki print styles? I have a few piece I purchased on ebay, but my favorite is A Iolani zipper front shirt with a tribal tiki design up each side. I have found a few at some local vintage shops too, but never the same design. Dont really have the high priced shirts but just ones that I think look good. I really dont care if its scares or not.

So anyone else?

[ Edited by: hula hula on 2002-09-02 21:41 ]

Bamboo Ben had this really cool shirt on at the Tiki Beach Fest (belmont shores) He said that Vintagegirls boyfriend made it or something along those lines. I thought it was pretty cool. Kind of retro aloha shirt pull-over with a spread collar. Still I can never turn down a Guayabera. This is probably my favorite type of shirt. I have some home-made ones from Habana Vieja.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-02 21:49 ]

MC

I was watching a documentary about Chuck Berry this weekend, and when Jerry Lee Lewis was interviewed, he was wearing this amazing shirt--it looked lik a pleated tuxedo shirt made from Hawaiian floral-printed fabric. The idea of an entire Aloha tuxedo was inspiring.

I have a small collection of aloha shirts. All but two of them were purchased at a discount clothing chain called Ross. The other two are from Shag. I have my eye out for more though.

Here's my favorite of my small collection:

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2002-09-03 09:35 ]

J

I've been on a kick recently on Ebay buying Hawaiian shirts for next to nothing...I just look for shirts that look good! I've got about 20 shirts now and my goal is to have enough to wear a different one every day of the month...I guess I'm a little obsessed...

:drink:

HH

hey hipster that's one sweet shirt,I'll be on the lookuot for one of those.

Thanks.

The shirt is available through shagmart. The shirt is made out of barkcloth and feels great.

Hey Hula Hula, thats a sweet shirt, I am such a sucker for Iolani. By the way hows Plastic Man doin?

I have quite a few shirts. I have found the majority of them at retail chains like Lazarus, Kohls and so on. Usually, I'll only get them if they are on sale. But occasionally, one will jump out at me for $30 or so.

I tend to go with the newer stuff...I am not into the older-style floral prints as much as the tiki prints.

Between these shirts and my hot rod shirts, that is all I wear when I'm not working.
I keep trying to incorporate the two...

:sheckymug:

i've actually started aloha fridays at my hospital. I tend to wear scubs most of the time, but a friend of mine makes hawaiian print scrubs so I started wearing that on fridays, and slowly started wearing just regular aloha shirts as time went by. The only problem is that Im always afraid of getting them bloodly or something , so I make sure I always have my lab coat on :( (kinda defeats the fun) But one the pls side Alot of other people have jumped on the band wagon,just doing my part to make life a little more laid back.

DZ

I teach fifth grade in Long Beach, CA, and every Friday is "Aloha Friday" in my classroom. I wear a different aloha shirt each week (yeah, I've got enough for almost an entire school year...), and we try to use Hawaiian phrases ("ho'olu","mahalo", etc.) whenever possible. With the exception of a few of my Samoan and Filipino students, most of them know nothing about tiki or Polynesian Culture, so I share with them what (little) I know, and they are actually REALLY interested! Just this year I've started bringing a different mug from my collection every week to talk about and "show off" (planning for the future generation of Tiki-Centralites, you see...). District policy says the kids have to wear uniforms, but every so often I get them a 'free-dress' Aloha Friday, and they show up in some great stuff! Not vintage, mind you, but impressive for 10-year olds nonetheless! At the end of the year we have a big luau (no pig...), and I've already talked to King Kukulele about coming and playing for us this year! Of course, one of the best things is having students from years ago visit my room: one of the first things they ask is if I still do Aloha Fridays!

"Aloha Fridays".........you people really do live in a different world!

All power to you.

Trader Woody

I too have Aloha Fridays for the past 2 years with my construction company. I can't get all the guys every Fri. but when it happens, imagine:
carpenters, labors, swinging hammers and sweeping up in Hawaiian shirts.
Most of the homeowners love it.
I do it every Fri. no matter what.
Right now, good, bad, and ugly I have about 62 shirts.

I try to do Aloha Shirt Fridays but a while back I got my shirt caught in a sander and it almost gave me 60 grit liposuction! So I basically have Aloha T-Shirt Fridys!

On 2002-09-02 21:45, thechikitiki wrote:
Bamboo Ben had this really cool shirt on at the Tiki Beach Fest (belmont shores) He said that Vintagegirls boyfriend made it or something along those lines. I thought it was pretty cool. Kind of retro aloha shirt pull-over with a spread collar.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-02 21:49 ]

Chiki, thanks for the compliment. That shirt I made for Ben was based on a 60's pullover design (which I have been really getting into lately as opposed to the open front 'coat' style.) Recently I found some bitchin' fabric, black with large tikis in medallions-very oriental in flavor, which I've been meaning to make into an early 1930's style pull-over aloha shirt.

I used to think the 60's ones were wild but you have to see some of the very early ones made from kimono fabrics-you'll think you're on laudanum!

Hey Hipster
Tanks for da cool shagmart link. I'm always looking for new ways to deplete my bank account and this is just what the doctor ordered. Speaking of which...Doctor Z, I too have aloha friday in my office. I work in an engineering office and we have a lot of job shoppers (temps) from Great Britain & Canada. They seem to be the most enthusiastic supporters of this tradition. Aloha is universal!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-01-19 19:18 ]

^You're welcome. Now's a great time to buy as well. Shagmart has its aloha shirts and board shorts on sale now.

If you're searching on Ebay look for Hukilau brand shirts. Some have very load colors but there are others that are fantastic.

Beautiful shirt - incredible shirt - rediculous "buy it now" price - even for a Shaheen. Someone buy this shirt!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2154235289&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-01-15 06:22 ]

I just picked up number 70 and 71, $15.00 each.
They are just fun little(I guess if they are mine they are not little, more like a duvee cover) golf shirts that I like to work in.
In my play book they still count.
I have also gone to wearing one of my shirts everyday now and not just Fri.
But in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach I don't stand out much, OH Well.

And in the "stranger than fiction dept." I picked up a Hawaiian shirt off a small rack at Albertsons supermarket last summer for $10.00. Usually I don't clothes shop at the supermarket, but this just happened to be right next to the liquor so I couldn't help but spot it. It's a black shirt with yellow, orange & red plumarias. On the back is a kneeling native girl with arms outstreched to the sky, wearing a lava-lava, haku & several leis. Behind her is an erupting volcano and the whole scene is bordered by two large Ku tikis. Not the greatest quality, but it has wooden buttons & I don't alway like wearing something I'm afraid to screw up. This is casual beach wear.

We've collected a bunch of hawaiian shirts and have them for sale here in Huntington Beach. Some vintage...some not sooo vintage...most of em' have wooden buttons...and their all in primo condition...
please have a look at: http://www.debagogo.com
mahalo!

Pages: 1 21 replies