Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki5-0's pics....finally! 8-4-04

Pages: 1 31 replies

T

i'm a newbie to posting here. i've been checking this site out for a few weeks and am addicted to it. there are sooo many awesome carvers out there. i started a couple months ago and love it. i was bored when we were up in big bear. i found a peice of wood, went and bought a chisel and mallet and have been hooked since. i am currently working on my third one for my sister-in-laws boyfriend's birthday present. i had the chisel slip and stab into my finger on that one. it bled pretty good for about 30 minutes. it's ab out healed up and am ready to get back to work on it. unfortunately, i don't have a camera to take pics, but some friends do, sp maybe i can get them to take some so i can post them. anyways, thanks for all the ideas i've seen here. my house is slowly becoming tiki-fied and i'm loving it.

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-08-03 16:02 ]

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-08-03 16:03 ]

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-08-04 09:19 ]

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-08-04 10:21 ]

Welcome, and post those pics, Jack! :)

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Welcome... yeah sometimes the tikis like alot blood

Son...You ain't carved nuttin until you gone and bled on it.

W
wushu posted on Wed, Jul 7, 2004 5:33 AM

Howdy, My first tiki left several scars on my person. Tiki Bites someone called them. But like you I am pretty new to the carving thing, its fun. I just finished my third and I'm fixin' to start a new one here soon.

Besta luck, your brother in blood, sweat, and tears,
Rob

B

The better you get the better the tiki bites.
The more you carve the more you bleed. Tiki carvers have their scars to prove it. Just don't let a lil blood stop ya'.Can't wait to see your pictures, in the meantime keep carving.

T

thanks for all the encouragement everyone! i will be getting back at in in the next couple days. the cut has healed up enough that it doesn't bother me anymore, so time to get the chisels back out. i will see if i can get some pictures taken this weekend to let all of you interested take a look at my first couple tikis. hopefully there will be many more to come in the future.

Tiki5-0,

So where's the pics???!!!???

T

i know, i know. i have been slacking majorly with it. i will be finished with my third one tonight. i will be at the in-laws tomorrow night and they have a digital camera. i will take some pics and hopefully be able to get them posted monday or tuesday. i don't have a computer at home, only at work, so i have to wait till then to post them.

8T

Glad to hear you are healed up. I remember as a Boy Scout we were working on Wood carving merit badge when several of us wound up with Finger-carving merit badge too!

I am new to carving also having only done one tiki before which was actually a restoration job on a vintage tiki.
I just finished my first carving and drew blood only once. I plan to start a thread on it hopefully this weekend.
Already have lots of pics of the evolution.
Should be fun.

I just cut the crap out of my finger with a flex-cut. Oh well, a few scars are well worth the use of a good sharp chisel. Besides, a little blood definitely makes the tiki look more authentic!

Oh yeah, 5-0. Anxiously awaiting your photos!

T

well, i have a dilema. i have the pics of my tikis, but i am unable to load them on shutterfly to post them. my father-in-law sent them to me and they are in bitmap format, but shutterfly need it to be in jpeg format. is there a way to fix this? i don't know squat about uploading pictures on the internet. i want to get them up, but will need some help with this. thanks!

B

Hi Tiki5-0. Just oen your pic's one at a time in any graphix program, even Paint. when you tget the file open, just click on "File" in the upper left and go down to "save As" and click that. it will come up with a default name and location and where it says XXX .bitmap. just change it to .jpg and click OK. that should save the pic as a jpg. Then go to shutterfly and follow the steps to upload yoour jpeg pix.
Hope this helps

T

thanks benzart!

my 3 so far-in order from left to right

first one

second one

third one

let me know what you think.

WOW.

All 3 are great - I'm glad I bugged you to post. Really excellent work. It's amazing how many "first" tikis are posted here that look like they could be in a tropical resort, trader vics, or whatever.

My favorite is your first one. That dude is scary. I'd put him by the tiki bar to ward off evil hangovers.

T

thanks! i wasn't sure what i was doing with the first one. i just started carving away and ended up with that. i was shocked that it turned as well is all my friends think it did having never done anything like that before. i will keep posting more as they come. i will start on #4 soon.

B

Even MORE "First" tikis look like the 10th or more. Impressive with very good looking finish.. YO Dude!!

O
Octane posted on Wed, Aug 4, 2004 6:42 PM

looks very well especially for the first three, all the new carvers are really showing some great work right off the bat. excellent i like the middle one.

Great first work. I only have 1 and 1/ 2 to my name so you're way ahead of me, keep 'em coming they look good!
Hopefully I can have some more done by sometime soon.

Those are really cool pieces - Great work!

http://www.samgambino.com

On 2004-08-04 16:31, Benzart wrote:
Even MORE "First" tikis look like the 10th or more. Impressive with very good looking finish.. YO Dude!!

There is no way on earth that us rookies could post "first time" pics that look decent, without all the support and amazing works by you, and so many others here, to look at. It's people like you give us inspiration and perspective.

So, thanks!

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2004 1:00 PM

I really dig the finish on all of them. Super sweet!

B

I agree to Lots of New carvers posting their first carvings . How many in last month or so?

T

thank you all for the compliments! i'm glad you all seem to like them. it's really great to hear what people think of them. i will continue to post more as they come.

T

i am working on a couple of masks for our dining room wall. i am hoping to get them finished this long weekend and to have the pics up of them early next week.

Hey, 5-0. I really dig the finish on those tikis. What did you use? Are you still working on #4? Can't wait to see the masks!

T

the first one i stained and used tung oil. the other 2 are redwood. i burned them and then just used the tung oil. i do about 2-3 coats of it and it gives it a nice finish. the more you use, the glossier it looks. #4 is on hold(been too busy). i got one mask done and will finish it in a couple days. the second mask died while i was cutting the edges. r.i.p.

R

Wow, I really like those guys. How long did you spend on each one? I was thinking of trying a mask, cant wait to see how yours turn out.

Those are some nice poles. You developed your own style very quickly. I can't wait to see more.

Dude!!
Those are some great Tiki's! I can't belive those are your first. Have you done any other carving before doing Tiki's? I would really love to try carving sometime. What kind of tools did you use?
KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK!!!!!!

T

no i never have carved anything before tikis. i've always drawn things, took ceramics for 2 years in high school and wood shop for 2 years, but no carving. i just thought it looked like fun and tried it. i mainly use chisels and a carving tool set i got for my from the in-laws. i use a dremmel for outlining things and some of the detail and sanding. i'd like to get where i only use chisels, but that's some time away.

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-09-08 10:10 ]

Pages: 1 31 replies