Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mr Smiley's Modesto Birthday July 9 @ Minnie's

Pages: 1 34 replies

M

Who wants to join Mr Smiley for (and buy me )some drinks at Minnie's in Modesto?? :) Be there at 9 pm Friday July 9, 2004.
Out of town guests may want to stay across the street at The Chalet Motel. It is ok-not fancy and rooms run about $50 a night. (Chalet Motel 115 Downey Ave , Modesto 209-529-4370)

H

Why, YES! I would love to! I just looked at a map, and by golly, besides having the extreme pleasure of ringing in a birthday with Mr. Smiley, I get to hit all KINDS of tiki along Hwy 99 that I haven't seen before... The Tropics! Luau! Minnie's! The Leilani! Coconut Joe's!

If I head out of town at 4pm (like a bat out of hell), what time can I reasonably expect to land in Modesto?

Is the Tropics reasonably safe? Or is it look-don't-touch?

DAAAAAAAAARN!!

Why is my teleporter broken? I will lift a mai tai and hoist in a westerly direction on the 9th, Mr Smiley!

F

Come on over to Whanga Rei too.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2004 7:43 PM

Happy Birfday, Mr. Smiley!
Wish I could attend.

...mainly for the cake.
:wink:

we'll be there!
:drink:

if anyone needs a place to stay, we can offer up our guest room. its a full size bed and yer own bathroom. the only stipulation is not minding a roaming fat cat that likes to sleep on some people's heads (he is really friendly, we swear!) we live about 10 minutes away from minnie's.
first to claim gets to stay!

Was that your lucky "666" birthday post, MrSmiley?!

Of course I, as Mr Smiley's glamourous chauffeur, will also be bringing the banana cake!!! :)

Humu, both the Chalet and the Tropics are roughly equivalent (in terms of the sleazy 'n shabby factor) to the Palms in Portland, although the signage is sadly inferior in both cases.

We used to think the Chalet would be a bit less dicey but last time we were there I concluded otherwise. I mean really, it was just the last straw when I realized the two halves of our toilet paper holder didn't match, lol.

However, I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at either place, and I never saw a bug either. The Tropics is actually slightly cleaner, I think, though wretchedly beaten-up inside; the outside looks good. And, of course, there IS another Tiki bar on the premises...

Mostly, now, it's just a question of which requires fewer steps to stagger to one's room from Minnie's. The Chalet IS right across the street. But Humu, if you wanna stay at the Tropics we will too! Tropics Party, everyone!!!hee hee. I imagine it'd take a lot to get thrown outta there.

Tikicleen, we would love to stay with you guys and Chester meowmeow! but I think the staggering-across-the-street thing will come heavily into play this weekend. Maybe another time? I'll bring snacks and catnip...

See y'all Friday! JT, you're coming right??

Oh, the drive from LA to Modesto SHOULD take about five to six hours, depending on traffic and how magnificently you burn up the road. It's about 300 miles, give or take ten.

XOX Tikivixen

T

Aw, JT, I just caught up on the Whanga Rei stuff...LOVE that name, by the way. Because of MrSmiley's work, we can't get out to Modesto much before nine. Which doesn't really leave time for both--maybe--up to him--but is WR open Saturday day? I'd love to see it, and your carvings there! If not this trip, SOON...

meow from Tikivixen

I wish I could make it.
It's very hard for me to get a Friday or Saturday night off (bartender).
You know I'll be there in spirit.
I will toast your birthday at my bar.
Happy Birthday Mr. Smiley!

M

Humu, both the Chalet and the Tropics are roughly equivalent (in terms of the sleazy 'n shabby factor) to the Palms in Portland, although the signage is sadly inferior in both cases.

I don't know if The Tropics takes reservations--can someone call them?
Tropics Motel
(209) 523-7701 936 Mchenry Ave
Modesto, CA

M

On 2004-07-06 19:43, pablus wrote:

Happy Birfday, Mr. Smiley!
Wish I could attend.

...mainly for the cake.
:wink:

"Come for the drinks, stay for the CAKE!"

TM

Bummer, I'll be in Modesto the 8th (on my way to Tahoe for the weekend). We're making a pitstop to go to Minnie's and the Tiki Lounge. Would have loved to hook up on the 9th! Happy B-Day anyway....Matt
http://www.bartiki.com

A

We're in
Mahalo,
Al

T

Hey MrSmiley, the Pineapples would love to attend, but will be busy laughing at people's funny accents on the Jersey Shore. Have a swell one!

And hey, what's up with a motel that doesn't take reservations? Oh, I get it....

M

On 2004-07-07 16:32, Tiki-bot wrote:

And hey, what's up with a motel that doesn't take reservations? Oh, I get it....

Yes-it is hard to figure out reservations for a place that rents room by the hour! :)

Of course I will be there to celebrate with all of you.
Fun, cool.

T

Actually, I called the Tropics and the gal who answered the phone said, "what, um, reservations? well, uh, sure, okay!"

They're just not accustomed to the practice :wink:

C

Happy Birthday Smiley man, Sorry I can t make it to Modesto for the Party. I got a family reunion up Chico way. Have fun everyone!
Chongolio

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Jul 7, 2004 8:42 PM

NO way! My b-day is July 9th as well. Me and the ladyfriend are headin' out to Trader Vic's. Have a Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Darlin'! Hope you have a wonderful time!

M

Hey there daddio! Have a happy B-day. I'll go to the Alibi and raise a toast to you! Oh and BTW - thanks for the gifts at the crawl - your right, you shouldn't eat those beans in the Bastard!!! UGH!

Have a good'n!

M

On 2004-07-07 14:40, Alnshely wrote:
We're in
Mahalo,
Al

I just noticed that you were replying to MY post--are you two really going to come up all that way?? Cool!
--thanks every one for the good wishes---bruce

Happy Birthday Mrs. Miley! :P Have all the fun you can in Modesto, sir!

M

looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!! :)

M

If it wasn't for the play I'm in now, I'd have been there! Hell and damn! How was it?

Happy Birthday Bruce!!
Hope y'all had a great time.
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

Thanks to all who helped me celebrate my advanced aging at Minnie's last Friday. I had a great time and was especially flattered to see visitors from Los Angeles and also darn near San Diego. Alas, I had one too many cocktails and felt a little yukky the next morning! When will I ever learn?!!? :)
Did Alnshely survive a night at the Modesto Tropics motels? Did they stay in Room 135??? We will have to wait for the details! :)

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-07-13 14:12 ]

WHAT? No pics? :)

I LOVE MINNIE'S! And I love Mr. Smiley for introducing me to Minnie's. What a great place. Lotsa pics to come, but this can keep you busy until I pull out the better ones to post:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/mrsmiley/

H

Alright, as promised, pics from the birthday of the World Famous Mr. Smiley!

We all met up at Minnie's, which has a few great tikis out front, including this one.

Mr. Smiley & TikiVixen

Al's arm, tikicleen, Drunken Hat, JungleTrader

Mr. Smiley's monkey friend, Gordon

Drunken Hat, JungleTrader, Mr. Smiley

Mr. Smiley & TikiVixen

Gordon relaxing

Mr. Smiley's birthday cake ("Bruce" is what confused people call him)

TikiVixen helps Mr. Smiley cut his cake, as Shelley & Al wait patiently

Mr. Smiley got a swell new record for his birthday!

He also got this spiffy nightlight

And Windup Hopping LEDERHOSEN!

We popped over to the Tiki Lounge quickly

The Tiki Lounge doesn't have a lot of tikis left--they're all stashed over the cooler in the back room!

It wasn't long before we were back at Minnie's. Mr. Smiley's business card is stapled to the wall, along with hundreds of others. Someone confused made Mr. Smiley's business card.

What's Mr. Smiley up to???

Whatever it is, Gordon is getting awfully excited...

OH NO! MR. SMILEY MADE A FAKE ID FOR GORDON! NO GOOD CAN COME OF THIS!

Before we knew it, a drunk Gordon was swinging around behind the bar

Even the sexy bartender couldn't get him down

They had to let Mr. Smiley behind the bar to get his naughty monkey.

While he was back there, he spotted this cool decanter

And then Mr. Smiley turned into a wild boar. The end.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-22 21:59 ]

M

Humu, your photos made me crack up!!! GOrdon is STILL hungover!

MrSmiley wrote:

"GOrdon is STILL hungover!"

That's cuz he never stopped drinking! :wink:

Thanks so much for the pictures, Humu! I'm so glad you finally made it to Modesto.

That was a wonderful evening indeed. Happy Birthday again, Mr Wild Boar Smiley!

XOX tikivixen

M

On 2005-01-04 18:54, mrsmiley wrote:
photos;
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMXDFk2bt30w

Great photos

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-05 10:11 ]

M

On 2005-01-04 22:19, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2005-01-04 18:54, mrsmiley wrote:
photos;
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMXDFk2bt30w

Great photos

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-05 10:11 ]

Well, it was good while it lasted!! On Monday someone at work had temporarily removed the Internet Block that blocked sites like Shutterfly so I took advantage posting pictures that I hadn;t been able to before. The block is back up now--darn!!!

Pages: 1 34 replies