Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

x

Pages: 1 14 replies

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-09-01 20:00 ]

fantastic, monkeyman! Did you get your Lauhala matting from Oceanic Arts? Gotta get me some for my pagan sanctuary (in progress)! thanks for the visual lesson...it's really well thought out!

Beautiful!

Thanks for the step-by-step. Makes me wanna re-do the whole house.

-Z

D

On 2004-07-08 00:23, Monkeyman wrote:
. Voila, Instant Hut. The whole process took a weekend.

looks like Mrs Monkeyman is a good helper! beautiful transformation ... thanks for the step by step instructions.. inspirational!

elicia

Great job Monkeyman!
This will be another helpful archive for future Tiki Central huts.
Hanford should come out with a book with all these helpful hints.

K

Monkeyman,

Great installation!!! Have you seen the bamboo mat board available at several suppliers? It's the Lauhala matting processed into a 4x8 solid board that's flexible enough to roll for shipping, but sturdy enough to install over studs without sheetrock or plywood just like wood paneling. There's also a company that produces ceiling tiles from bamboo mat board. I did a yahoo search for bamboo board and bamboo mat board. I wonder cost wise if it's cheaper to make your own like you did or buy the pre-made board?

Kanaka

8T

WOW. That is very thorough and well illustrated. THANKS! Great of you to take the time to post this. I hope to be using your technique in the future.

M

The luan ply is $10 p/sheet(4'x8') at the major home improvement stores and the Lauhala was a steal at $16 per sheet from Bensons Imports. Total cost for a 4x8 sheet is roughly $28 (including the cost of contact cement and paint rollers).

Monkeyman - great step by step. It also answers many questions about bamboo that we've seen in the forum. Nice job, and thanks for the post. I'm sure this is one many TC members will refer to in the future.

K

Ooooooooo, that shore looks mighty fine! Chiki's tiki too!

[ Edited by: kahaka on 2004-07-22 08:13 ]

P

At the outdoor Lagoon Lounge - I put up Lahaula on the ceiling with rusted staples. Lots of sags. It actually looks pretty cool and island-y but will deteriorate over time I'm sure.

Your method looks pretty failsafe for outside bars in humid conditions.

Thanks for the pictures for us directionaly challenged.

B

Yes, Supurb step by step instructions. You make it look so easy. And to take time to photograph the process with sticky glue all around was going above and beyond. It looks so easy I may have to try it soon, Thanks

M

I use a finish nailer/air compressor to nail the bamboo and never have any splitting problems. The nails are very thin and pretty invisible once you get the right amount of air pressure set up. Not having to drill really saves a ton of time.

Thanks for the tip Mattfink. The method I posted is certainly not the only way to do it. I have never owned a nail gun/compressor so I appreciate that insight. I would be curious to see up close photos of what the nail heads look like in the Bamboo.

Where did you purchase the black bamboo?

Pages: 1 14 replies