Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hey collectors--share your collections on Critiki

Pages: 1 0 replies

H

I'd love to see more collectible items in Critiki--these items provide in many cases our only picture of what an extinct tiki bar was like. They're also a useful resource when trying to identify an unknown item: a mug may be pictured in a menu, or a swizzle stick may have a logo that you are able to identify from a matchbook.

Examples of collectible items I'd like to see in Critiki:

• mugs
  • bowls
  • menus
  • advertisements
  • postcards
  • matchbooks
  • swizzle sticks
  • napkins
  • table cards
  • plates
  • salt & pepper shakers

Several people have shared items from their collections with me (thank you!). In particular, puamana has been sending me images from her extensive collection:

This menu helped to recently identify the source of Tahitiki's plate.

This matchbook is from a Polynesian-themed lakeside community in Denver.

A menu, matchbook and postcard provide a great picture of what Hawaiian Cottage was like.

These postcards were used recently to identify a photograph.

puamana was able to use this menu to identify an unusual mug that had made its way from Mexico up to Canada--and the postcard gives a great view of the restaurant it originated from.

The logo from this menu & matchbook confirms that Pikake Hut is simply the new name for the Pagan Hut, and not a separate location.

The same name script is used in this menu from a restaurant in Boston and this one from Chicago, indicating they were likely related.

This menu and this menu helped me confirm that there were two different Waikiki Rooms on different ends of Minneapolis.

As you can see, your collection could be an extremely helpful resource for others!

I've taken some steps to try to make it easier to add pictures of your collectible items into Critiki. I now have a Critiki Photo Upload Site, where you can upload your images and provide me with all the information I need. If it's still too much of a hassle, you can mail me a cd (email me for info), or I'd be happy to come photograph your collection for you (and, of course, I'm willing to travel to do it).

Pages: 1 0 replies