Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Carved Tiki Wall Hangings (Image Heavy)

Pages: 1 10 replies

I just purchased these three carved tiki wall hangings at a local thrift shop.

I've never seen any quite like this and was wondering if anyone else on here could offer a few thoughts as to what I have? And what they might be worth? (I'm thinking they may be Maori in origin and possibly from the 50's or 60's).

Each is mounted on a teak frame with grass matting. The eyes are inlaid with what appears to be some sort of shell akin to abalone. (Sorry for the poor photographs).

Thanks!

Sailor Curt

http://www.labyrinth13.com/Sailor%20Curt/PP_Surfing_SailorCurt.htm

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt on 2004-07-08 17:43 ]

M

Those are cool. Unless you plan on selling them, I wouldn't sweat what they are worth. Put them up in your home and enjoy them.

Determining value is difficult for something that is not regularly on the market. Some mug values are easily established because they sell regularly on ebay for the market rate.

Thanks for your reply.

I do plan to keep these and display them at home. What I primarily hope to learn is any background on these, particularly which Pacific island culture created them.

On 2004-07-08 17:42, Sailor Curt wrote:
I just purchased these three carved tiki wall hangings at a local thrift shop.

I've never seen any quite like this and was wondering if anyone else on here could offer a few thoughts as to what I have? And what they might be worth? (I'm thinking they may be Maori in origin and possibly from the 50's or 60's).

Each is mounted on a teak frame with grass matting. The eyes are inlaid with what appears to be some sort of shell akin to abalone. (Sorry for the poor photographs).

Thanks!

Sailor Curt
[ Edited by: Sailor Curt on 2004-07-08 17:43 ]

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt on 2004-07-08 20:42 ]

M

They are definitely Maori styled. I'm not so sure that they were actually carved by Maori but probably manufactured by a furniture company here in the US during that time frame. Im guessing early 60's decor.

Are the figurines actually carved from wood or are they made from a cast material?

D

so you're the person one step ahead of me at the seattle thrift stores!

nice score! the frames and matting are great, as well as the carvings themselves.

looks maori-ish to me ~ any markings on the back of the frame?

elicia

T

Those are soooo nice! Maori images, could be from New Zealand or maybe carved here in US. Either way, definitely worth keeping and displaying.

On 2004-07-08 18:41, Monkeyman wrote:
Are the figurines actually carved from wood or are they made from a cast material?

Yes, all three are carved from solid wood. The photos don't show it, but there is quite a bit of fine details in the carved line work.

No markings on the back of the frames nor an artist signature nor a manufacturer label.

And Aloha fellow Emerald City dweller!

On 2004-07-08 18:58, dogbytes wrote:
so you're the person one step ahead of me at the seattle thrift stores!

nice score! the frames and matting are great, as well as the carvings themselves.

looks maori-ish to me ~ any markings on the back of the frame?

elicia

B

Don't listen to these guys...those tikis are worthless AND bad luck...I'll send you my address so you can ship them to me and I'll get rid of them for you. :wink: Man, that's a great score! I'm stoked if I even find a no name tiki mug.

W

I'd guess their New Zealand souvenir pieces from the 70's. Possibly framed by the traveller or an importer. Markings may be on the back of the objects. I've seen similar pieces without frames meant to hang on the wall solo.

I'm sort of surprised to hear that you can't find good tiki scores in your neck of the woods . . . I'm from Georgia originally and some of the best items in mine and my wife's mug collection were purchased from below the Mason Dixon line.

On 2004-07-09 02:24, BARNETT wrote:
Don't listen to these guys...those tikis are worthless AND bad luck...I'll send you my address so you can ship them to me and I'll get rid of them for you. :wink: Man, that's a great score! I'm stoked if I even find a no name tiki mug.

Pages: 1 10 replies