Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Retro? Modern? Jacks-thingies..What IS IT???

Pages: 1 28 replies

R

Aloha my friends!
These items are puzzling. I am not a expert in modern furniture. Er, perhaps its not even furniture! I have 3 identical items of this. Constructed in a type of metal with cables. Plastic balls are on the ends. These "jacks" (thats what they remind me of) can be turned several ways on any side. The 3 pieces do not have any identification on them whatsoever. Don't know who made them. I must say though, whoever did make these did an excellent job! There tight with no looseness and the bars are all straight.
Can you imagine just trying to put these things together?!! :0
Anyone know what they are or who made these?

Pride and patience makes work an ART.

[ Edited by: RenTiki on 2004-07-08 18:56 ]

Could they be the bottom half (legs) of tables. Are thet level enough to set a round piece of glass on?

Perfect timing, just in time for the release of Bucky's stamp! These are Geodesic demonstrators to show how tension is more important than compression in Geodesic design. You can see that the whole design distorts when you press down on the bars, the tension increasing on the cables between the bars, then they spring back up when released. I believe that you can put a tempered glass table top on these, but they'll perform their demonstrator function if you put too much weight on'em.

D

They look like those bar puzzles that make you crazy trying to figure out,and then someone smugly shows you how easy it is to solve and then you kick them in the shins.

R

:lol:
docwoods, you're too funny! I doubt it's a annoying puzzle. I don't think these things come apart.
Flounder, I think you're correct. Setting these on one certain side reveals 3 legs that could support a table top.
Perhaps two for a coffee table and one for an end table?
Um, Freddie, the cables are waaaay tooo tight for any fluctuation. Woowee, kinda sounds like a nasty word, dosn't it?! Hehehe.
But nice theory ya got there. Who the hell is Bucky? :)

Buckminster Fuller, father of the geodisic dome.

without bucky fuller, what would the original hippies have lived in?

put a few tikis in this baby!

Has anyone else noticed that Johnny Dollar has a pic for everything!

On 2004-07-09 08:37, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Johnny Dollar has a pic for everything!

Interesting theory. There is only one way to test it. J$, any nude pics of Ernest Borgnine?

-Z

sorry, best i could do

hope my pix don't bother you, i'm just a visual person :)

We have a Weiner!

I for one, being from the MTV generation, dig the visuals. Keep on keepin' on, J$.

As for the original topic, you could always tell your friends that they are models of Mai Tai molecules.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-07-09 09:20 ]

On 2004-07-09 07:41, RenTiki wrote:
docwoods, you're too funny! I doubt it's a annoying puzzle. I don't think these things come apart.
Flounder, I think you're correct. Setting these on one certain side reveals 3 legs that could support a table top.
Um, Freddie, the cables are waaaay tooo tight for any fluctuation. Woowee, kinda sounds like a nasty word, dosn't it?! Hehehe.

Bucky!

J$, is that picture from Bellavista in Equador? I'm gonna hafta do some searching for more pictures of that!

On 2004-07-09 10:12, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2004-07-09 07:41, RenTiki wrote:

Bucky!

J$, is that picture from Bellavista in Equador? I'm gonna hafta do some searching for more pictures of that!

apparently so... http://users.etown.edu/s/selchewa/home/bellavista.html

On 2004-07-09 08:09, Johnny Dollar wrote:
put a few tikis in this baby!

Here's some interior views. Thatch, Bamboo, woven grass matting... And a Geodesic Dome! :lol: Now I've got another idea for what to put on that little piece of dirt near the beach in San Felipe!

Those are Polish num-chucks.

R

I tell ya, when ever I need a good laugh, I gotta remember to come here!!
You guys are toooo funny!!!
Leave it up to all of you Centralites for coming up with a logical explanation. Did I say logical?! :o Scratch that..
Nice stamp too, Freddie. It almost looks like Bucky is like a God in that image on the stamp.
Kinda eerie, Johnny Dollar..
you are the VISUAL KING! :D

Back to topic here, I need to have a proper description for these Jacks. Well, let's see, not jacks, um what was it that Feelin' Zombified said? Oh yeah, Mai Tai Molecules!! I don't know if the public could relate to that immediately.. I myself, think that one is a riot!!
I want to post them on eBay to sell. How should I describe them in the title?
How bout high speed pursuit spike strip replacements? Ouch! That would really F--- up your vehicle, wouldn't it?!!
I guess just stating that these "geodesic things" resemble Mr. Buckminister's design would be enough... Ya think?

Pride and patience makes work an ART.

[ Edited by: RenTiki on 2004-07-09 14:18 ]

for an ebay listing i would call them SHAG TIKI L@@K!!!... i mean, probably "geodesic spatial sculpture coffee table legs, quasi buckminster fuller" or something like that...

p.s. mahalo 4 da

D

Rentiki-it's good stuff to have fun with this kind of thing-I don't even want to tell you how many times I've retyped this because I've been enjoying a few glasses of chardonnay and a cheap toffee ice cream bar.

R

On 2004-07-09 14:19, Johnny Dollar wrote:
for an ebay listing i would call them SHAG TIKI L@@K!!!... i mean, probably "geodesic spatial sculpture coffee table legs, quasi buckminster fuller" or something like that...

Check out the big brain on Brad! :wink:
That's very good!! Gee, I thought I was a pro at verbal gymnastics! Excellent suggestion, Johnny! Thanks!! Very well then. I will apply this to my title come tomorrow. Oh, and your welcome (for the props, if Im correct. Or do you mean fan club?!) :wink:

docwoods, chardonnay and a cheap toffee ice cream bar, huh?
Hmmmm. Sounds just about right. I myself love a large brandy snifter size glass of Gamay Beaujolais. Then again, this hits me like the best Thai buds that used to float around back in them there High School days....
Jumpin back to topic.. anyone know what these things are worth? Im clueless on a starting price?
Oh, almost forgot to ask.. is Buckminister still alive? If so, where is he?
And one more question that absolutely has nothing to do with anything...
what does "pray tell" mean anyway and who the hell made that one up?! Sounds too shakespearean. Ever hear someone use that lately? I mean, come on!

[ Edited by: RenTiki on 2004-07-09 23:46 ]

On 2004-07-09 23:42, RenTiki wrote:

Bucky died in 1983 -- you have to be dead for at least 10 years before the US will put you on a postage stamp (unless you're a dead President). He's buried at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA.

Nice tombstone!

B

They actually look like puzzels. They look like you could collaps the poles into an all paralell configuration then try to figure out how to put it back to the original geodesic form. I do know this : They Scream out to me to take them apart and try to put them back together.

D

Right you are,Ben,then after they scream at you to take them apart,you'll be screaming at them to put themselves back together.People who invent stuff like that are sadists.

R

Thank you, Cyn for the info. Yes, nice tombstone. Hope mine is that nice. Hold on, I wanna be cremated! :music:(sounds like the Ramones song, huh?) :lol:
Why is it so hard to keep on the topic?
Anywho, I have finally posted the items up on eBay, or I should say eBarf. Im so tired of them. But, they are the only large sucessful auction site on the web so...
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4312711396&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
Oh and I was wrong about all 3 being identical. One is a little taller. I had to add humor to the description. I always try to. It isnt fun posting if you don't. :P

[ Edited by: RenTiki on 2004-07-10 21:29 ]

D

Rentiki-you're a stitch-good thinking on that disclaimer-can you see some goof being arrested for doing something dumb with one of those and then blaming you?I can,and it ISN'T pretty-gee officer,the seller TOLD me I could throw it out the window...

On 2004-07-10 00:50, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2004-07-09 23:42, RenTiki wrote:

Bucky died in 1983 -- you have to be dead for at least 10 years before the US will put you on a postage stamp (unless you're a dead President). He's buried at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA.

Nice tombstone!

Cyn, Check on the dates of death for him & his wife. She was very sick & slipped into a coma & he died while at her bedside. She followed 2 days later without ever regaining conciousness. They were married 66 years.

On 2004-07-12 07:23, freddiefreelance wrote:
Cyn, Check on the dates of death for him & his wife. She was very sick & slipped into a coma & he died while at her bedside. She followed 2 days later without ever regaining conciousness. They were married 66 years.

WOW. I heard on NPR this morning that they're officially unveiling the Fuller stamp today. The artwork used for the stamp was on the cover of Time in the early 60s.

I loathe the post office, but I might have to go for this one.

R

66 years?!
Wow. Now THAT'S love!
I've heard before about couples leaving together after being married for long times like this..
It's very touching to hear.

M

I believe that is a marital aid for robots....

R

I posted these odd thingies on another forum that I'm quite active on.
Here's one of my favorite responses:
JACKS there a version Of Lawn Jacks. You throw a Big fucking ball way up in the air and run around the lawn to see how many of them you can pick up b4 either the ball falls to the ground or you impail your self on one of the JACKs
:P

Pages: 1 28 replies