Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Lounge in Ludington, Mi.?

Pages: 1 5 replies

OK, I'm going to Ludington, Mi., to officiate at my son's re-marriage ceremony & Feelin' Zombified mentioned that there was a place called Tiki Lounge there. He said Mrs. Zombified's been there & it's listed in Tiki Road Trip, but I don't have a copy of the book. I see the place listed on the Tiki Bar Review Pages, but just the name, city & state, no address, and I'm not finding anything in any Internet Yellow Pages searches.

Does anyone have any info on this place? an actual address & phone #? Is it still open?

H

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.stearnsmotorinn.com/tiki.htm
http://www.stearnsmotorinn.com/
http://www.stearnsmotorinn.com/stearns.htm

"Ludington's premiere[sic] nightclub!"
"10-foot video screens"
"$1 longnecks"

Lemme know if you find any tikis hiding in there.

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-09 13:12 ]

Duh! That's almost the only Hotel in town, I stayed there! I don't remember any Tikis, but it's been 10 years. I seem to remember minor Parrot Head-ness, a tiny Disco dance floor and cheap Bud Longnecks. Can Mrs. Zombified or anyone else verify? I'll take notes & pictures while I'm in town.

OK, this is what I know. A few years ago, the Mrs. was vacationing with her best friend and I get a call saying, "Hey, there's a tikibar here." So I ask for details and she says that they have not gone in yet.

I just asked her again and she never actually went in (gee, some great detective work, Humph!) But she thinks she remembers some tikis around the entry door. How's that for details !

Funny thing is, she was supposed to go back up there with the same friend in April, and I was going to load her up with a fresh roll of film, but they never went.

It's up to you now, FF. Don't let us down.

-Z

Hey Freelance,

Anything to report?

-Z

FZ, I posted an update in Beyond Tiki (where my original post was). Here's a quote of the Tiki Lounge portion of the post:

Tiki Lounge, Stearns Motor Inn, 212 E Ludington Ave., Ludington, Mi. (231) 843-340

Much more Tiki than I remembered, with lots of masks, Tiki barstools, Tapa cloth on the walls, enough Pufferfish lamps to count as a Pufferfish Chandalier, and what looks like a nice Witco on one wall. On the down side, don't bother to order a Mai Tai. The bartender pretty much only serves longnecks & the house specialty: the Shark Attack. A Shark Attack tastes like Kool Ade or Gatorade with vodka & light rum added, and it's serverd in a fishbowl with a rubber shark & a couple plastic fish. I drank 3 & was hardly buzzed. Compare this with barely being able to walk straight after 1 Dr. Wong's Tonic at Lotus Garden. I tried to meet the owner of the lounge, but the bouncer kept putting me off saying he'd be in "in an hour." After almost 3 hours of this answer we left the locals to their Buds.

Pages: 1 5 replies