Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Check THIS movie out -- !!

Pages: 1 2 replies

If you like 1950s moms in gorgeous dresses gliding through sparkling modernist kitchens while cheerful violins play in the background and the narrator describes the appliances as "expressing not only the American love of beauty but also the basic freedom of the American people, which is the freedom of indvidual choice" -- and I'd like to know who DOESN'T like this sort of thing! -- then download this eight-minute clip, turn down the lights, crank up the computer's speakers and pour yourself a stiff martini. And I say you smokers out there should go ahead and disobey your wives and light up in front of the computer.

It's called the "American Look," subtitled "In appreciation of the stylists of America." Produced by Chevrolet (but there's not a car in it).

Year: 1958

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08389a

UB

ya, I saw this before on tv.
A true classic with a "Disneyish" approach.
Thanks for postin.

Have searched TC archives and haven't seen this discussed.

The "Prelinger Archives" is a database of "ephemeral" films (industrial, educational, commercial, military, etc) from the beginning of film up until now, basically. Downloads are free. Thousands of films, hundreds of categories, not a boring one in the bunch.

This is where I got clip for "American Look."

To get you started in this fabulous website, may I recommend "Design for Dreaming (1956)" -- gal who looks like Cyd Charisse is awakened by a man in top hat and tails and golden mask (for some reason this reminded me of that secret club in "Eyes Wide Shut") and he takes her to the Ford Motorama, where they dance and inspect the latest cars ... then it's time to visit Frigidaire's Kitchen of the Future (the circular refrigerator is simply to die for) ... and then back to the Motorama for a "Dance of the Future" (the backdrop is the most gorgeous George Jetson-style set I've ever seen) ... and now Masked Man invites the woman to inspect Ford's concept cars of the future -- not a dud in the bunch -- and then the most futuristic car of the them all, a "turbine jet car" -- silver, with a sleek tail sticking up from the trunk ... man takes off his mask, revealing a face that'd be much better with the mask back on, invites woman into this jet fighter car for a spin "on the eletronic road of the future" ... and as they drive off while the soundtrack plays a haunting Song of the Future, the man and woman look out the car's all-glass bubble canopy as if they're making a bomb run on Venus and looking for targets ... well, it just doesn't get any better than this!

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=10561

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-07-12 10:57 ]

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-07-12 10:57 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies