Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"The Conquest Of Hawaii" movie in 2005

Pages: 1 20 replies

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 2:12 PM

Found this link, don't know much about it or where to get more info. There's a movie in production called "The Conquest Of Hawaii" starring Keanu Reeves. It takes place during the reign of Kamehameha I. Looks pretty interesting by the description.

http://www.filmtycoon.com/ftdb/ftmovie.php?mid=31

K
Kanaka posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 2:19 PM

Interesting that Keanu is playing Kamehameha and The Rock is playing a soldier. I would have thought The Rock was a shoe in for the lead role of King Kamehameha.

T

Sounds like it could be a sweet movie if done right, and with the big names involved it looks like it will be.

"Tiki are like potato chips, you can never just have one"

[ Edited by: tiki-toa on 2004-07-09 17:11 ]

M

I'm just picturing King Kamehameha doing the slow motion kicks Matrix style.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 4:36 PM

God I can't stand Keanu Reeves! This ruins it for me. His acting style would be more appropriate for playing a wooden tiki. Guy can't even talk! If I ever met him I'd say "Dude, that is not your real voice. Talk with your real voice."

Mini-rant over.

Apologies to any and all Keanu fans in advance! :wink:

I will admit that Keanu is not the greatest actor, but all 3 Matrix fils kicked total ass. I also agree that the Rock should have been chosen to play the king instead of Keanu.

M

I think a wooden tiki would be too much of a reach for him.

T

WOW so how do you guys really feel?

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 6:01 PM

On 2004-07-09 17:11, Tiki-Toa wrote:
WOW so how do you guys really feel?

I'd rather see Jasmine Trias play King K! :lol:

I love this quote from his IMDb bio: "Despite his deadpan delivery style and reputation as an oaf, Reeves continues to reel in choice roles and fat paychecks." Oaf...hehe.

There was an earlier thread talking about The Rock playing Kamehameha in a movie (same one?) but the powers that be felt that his Samoan/African American heritage might offend some native Hawaiians. The Hawaiians should be going into riot mode over this! Just cause his parents gave him a Hawaiian first name doesn't make him any more Hawaiian than a damn Dodge Kahuna sport van/wagon whatever the hell it was. I'm so enraged I'm #@*^$! near apoplectic!

:wink:

I wish I could be so lucky. To me he never progressed further than Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. He is the worse actor but gets the big bucks. Similar to Kevin Costner, Bob Denver and a few others. I did here he will only play King K in the post life, similar to the statue in Honolulu. That maybe a stretch for him.

H

I agree with you all, he is pretty much one dimentional. Or is it no dimentional. He is going to ruin this character and he is going to make a lot of money doing it. He is pretty cute though.

M

"King Kamehameha's Excellent Adventure"

I'd love to hear the thoughts of you TC'ers living on the Islands. Do you think Keanu is a good fit?

Does anyone know who's playing Captain Cook?

T

I'm really glad they're making a movie about this. Ever since I got back from the Big Island a week ago, I've been looking for any sort of film or documentary about the history of hawaii.

Too Bad Keaneau will be in this. He is flat out the WORST actor ever. It will be a struggle for me to lay out money for this because he's in it, but because I'm so interested in the subject, I will.

Man, there are so many more worthy actors who could have done this. It will be sad that the mention of King Kamehameha will bring Keaneau friggin' Reeves to people's minds. Man, ANYONE but him ! :(

I totally concur dude! I am in complete agreement with the Kevin Costner/ Keanu comparison as well. Both of these guys have minimal acting chops and when they try to pull off a character with an accent or outside the "dude" genre, disaster strikes. "The Devil's Advocate" would have been such a sweet movie if not for Keanu speaking his surf poser/ southern accent from hell. The guy can't speak with a southern accent worth **** and instead of rewriting the script to make his character from Iowa or something they totally ruin the movie with his unbelievable portrayal. Hmmm here is an idea, find some unknown actor with polynesian heritage to play the damn role. This is gonna be like the 60's westerns with white guys and makeup playing Indians. At best it's unbeleivable and stupid and at worst it's insulting.

Keanu as a hawaiian king....Preposterous!
I say Sunny Garcia should play the lead.

On 2004-07-09 18:01, Kono wrote:

There was an earlier thread talking about The Rock playing Kamehameha in a movie (same one?) but the powers that be felt that his Samoan/African American heritage might offend some native Hawaiians. The Hawaiians should be going into riot mode over this!

It is the same film. The site states:

The end of tribalism in Hawaii was a brutal and bloody affair led by one man: Kamehameha (Reeves), who conquered the Hawaiian Islands one by one, unifying Hawaii as one in 1810. But all this was not without reisitance. The wife (Hu) of one of Kamehameha's soldiers (The Rock) bears witness firsthand the bloodshed and violence which has taken a stronghold in Hawaii as she secretly tries to sabatoge Kamehameha's war effrots. As the Islands begin to fall to Kamehameha, Nai receives news that her husband has died in battle motivating her to plot take direct action against Kamehameha's regime.

I think the Hawaiians should riot over Reeves playing the esteemed role of Kamehameha.

On second thought, maybe this film will share some of the same success as the Matrix.

However, Laurence Fishborne should have been the one tapped for Kamehameha, not Reeves. He has the body type and the skin.

T

[i]If I ever met him I'd say "Dude, that is not your real voice. Talk with your real voice."

Actually, I met him and yes, that is his real voice. He was a friend of my roommate's and used to come over all the time to jam with him when he was filming Johnny Mnemonic. Very boring guy. Likes to quote Shakespeare. I mean, come on, who sits around and quotes Shakespeare when they're hanging out having some Labatts with their buds? Weird dude.

Dost thou have beer nuts?

Why forth thy funny look, Dude?

On 2004-07-14 20:57, tikifish wrote:
I mean, come on, who sits around and quotes Shakespeare when they're hanging out having some Labatts with their buds? Weird dude.

Jimmy Buffet tailgate party?
(Legal note: no offence to Labatts)

The only problem with Sunny Garcia is he has too much angry islander in him. He would make a better Hitler or Mousealine (sp) you know the other Italian Nazi. I think the rock would make it work and Captain cook could be played by Justin Timberlake.

Pages: 1 20 replies