Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Help! Someone hijacked my ebay account!!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey everyone,
I just got back from being out of town for a few days to find out that while I was gone, I sold $10k worth of Rolexes on ebay! WTF?!
This is really creeepy. I finally got back into my yahoo mail account to find all of my old e-mails deleted and replaced by dozens of questions about cheezy watches.
I've changed all of my passwords, what a hassle so hopefully i'm in the clear. I'm still waiting to hear back ffrom ebay about the $300+ of listing fees and shit.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? What's the deal?
It's time for BIG drink...
Aloha,
:tiki:

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2004 7:34 PM

Terrible! I can relate because it happened to me too. I didn't have to pay any of the seller fees but they didn't amount to as much as yours'.

And if any of your passwords on other web sites were the same as the Ebay password change them immediately!

Man that sucks. I hope you're not on the hook for any of that.

*On 2004-07-09 19:05, Tiki Royale wrote:*I've changed all of my passwords, what a hassle so hopefully i'm in the clear.

One thing you should do is contact Yahoo and have your "Lost Password Secret Question" changed. The Secret Question is the weakspot in yahoo accounts. Even if you change your password, If the hacker knows the answer to your secret question (often a tidbit of trivia someone can get out of you via some social engineering), then they can get into your account again.

To make matters worse, Yahoo does not give you any way to change your Secret Question without contacting a human there. I did it once and it took a lot of searching on their website to track down how to do it.

Finally, make sure you use different passwords for eBay and Yahoo. This can make it harder to hijack both.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on what happens!

~Hanford

Also think about changing your password every once and awhile just to be safe. I think somewhere on ebay, they recommend doing that.
TG

Tiki Royale,

Sorry to hear about the public consumption of your personal data.

How odd, I was looking at that Rolex you sold me, and I never noticed the company is really spelled "Reylex"!

But like you said, I'd pay "$1,500 bucks for this little baby at a 'Legit' joint, but from me... it's $25!".

Anyway, thanks again, and when did you say I get the watch strap?

(I like to think that I just made $1,475)

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-07-11 21:25 ]

On 2004-07-09 19:05, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey everyone,
I just got back from being out of town for a few days to find out that while I was gone, I sold $10k worth of Rolexes on ebay! WTF?!
This is really creeepy. I finally got back into my yahoo mail account to find all of my old e-mails deleted and replaced by dozens of questions about cheezy watches.
What's the deal?
It's time for BIG drink...
Aloha,
:tiki:

sorry....I didn't know that was YOUR account!! :(

L

Can it be coincidence that this occured so soon after you outed the old Lanai sign? Really though I hope you can fix it and hope it doesn't happen to me.

Sorry to hear of your demise... that sucks and I hope you get it worked out.
On a completely separate but unforunately "rip-off" mode of the post and a True Story...
hangin' out in a parking lot in downtown long beach at 18 years of age w/a bud in his ride and a sorted looking fellow walks up to my window and says "Hey, wanna buy a SEIKO!?!". My bud looks at me and laughs at this guy who has about 6 or so perfectly fine looking watches on his left arm, pointing to the print on one of the watches and further determing the fact that ALL of the watches on this poor sons' a bitch's arms all read.... "SEKO". Hey, I think TKI rocks!
Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-07-12 23:05 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies