Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Sound Gallery

Pages: 1 12 replies

okay, I'm sure it's been discussed here before but I thought I'd make a new post to call it out.

The Sound Gallery is not Exotica or Tiki, but it is very cool and loungy. It is 1970s session music from movies, commericals, and generic use, but unlike other compliations of this sort, is largely novelty-free and instead a great beginning-to-end album.

This CD apparently was huge in the UK and kicked off a wave of copycat albums, and
I've had it for years and it never gets old.

The Sound Gallery on Amazon.com

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-07-10 18:48 ]

Hey Mai Tai Boy,
(RE: From other post,"And since I have more than a few Trader Vic's Mai tai's in me.")
Broken link. :)

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-07-10 11:30 ]

[edited by Hanford to remove the quote of the still-broken link]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-07-10 18:48 ]

Thanks UB. Should be fixed now.

Indeed, Hanford, indeed! The Sound Gallery is an incredible collection of far-out and happenin' tunes. It's an excellent backround for any swinging soiree and is rarely out of my cd changer. If any of youse haven't already done so, check it out!

-Weird Unc

I listened to the samples. Way Cool.
I think i might get it.

I love the Sound Gallery! Mig peppered two mix cd's he gave to me at Oasis with fantastic instrumentals from the Sound Gallery, and I've had it on my wish list ever since. Mig had mentioned you'd turned him onto it, I think it's a great find. I think today's the day I'll treat myself and buy it.

Does anyone know of any similar instrumental cds that sound more like 50's educational film soundtracks? Sort of something like TMBG's "Minimum Wage", crossed with "Springield is a town on the grow!" Does anyone know the sort of instrumentals I'm talking about? I'd really love to get my hands on something like that.

On 2004-07-13 12:32, Humuhumu wrote:
Does anyone know of any similar instrumental cds that sound more like 50's educational film soundtracks? Sort of something like TMBG's "Minimum Wage", crossed with "Springield is a town on the grow!" Does anyone know the sort of instrumentals I'm talking about? I'd really love to get my hands on something like that.

My instincts tell me that you may enjoy "Music For TV Dinners" Look for it on Amazon through the Tiki Central link, of course!

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2004-07-13 13:46 ]

Humuhumu --

I think the CD for you is "Space Capades" (in Capitol's Ultra Lounge series).

Here is a link -- please give a listen to the first sample track ("Gay Spirits") and I think you'll find a perfect synthesis of cheerful 50s voilins and Springfield-on-the-move sentiments.

Amazon link

[edited by Hanford to make the link shorter]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-07-27 01:39 ]

H

Thanks for the tips, guys! I've just placed my order for those cds (using the Amazon link, thanks for the reminder, WeirdUnc!).

If anyone really finds 50s "city on the grow!" music compelling, then may I humbly suggest a quick checkout of this --

It's an industrial film called "Aluminum on the March" (1956). The very first part is the best, it's a stop-motion animation of all these pieces of aluminum being led by this little robot ... or general ... or some kind of leader ... has a big "R" for his head (for Reynolds' Aluminum) --

The "parade" of aluminum ignots and cylinders and so on is more than inspiring ... especially with this granddaddy of high-school industrial on-the-move movie music thumping merrily in the background ... in fact, I must confess, there should be a WARNING here -- this is something that'll make you wake up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath and wondering where you are!

Check it out ... if you dare --

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08271a

H

Ah, Weird Unc, you nailed it! Music for TV Dinners has scratched my itch quite nicely, thank you. It's going to be the sunny day soundtrack in the convertible for a while. Space Capades is worth having just for that version of Istanbul, but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thanks again for the tips, guys!

Wow, I didn't know the soundtrack to Vampyros Lesbos was on CD (sorry, I don't get out much). I went to look at The Sound Gallery and saw it, listened and loved it. As far as loungy late 60s/early 70s music goes, this is exactly what I like. While The Sound Gallery and Music for TV Dinners was also cool, I guess I like stuff like the Vampyros Lesbos CD or another favorite, Easy Tempo Vol. 1, more because, well, it sounds groovier (or maybe just dirtier). Hmm, now if anyone spots soundtrack music from Radley Metzger films, let me know!

Okay, okay ... I"m going to break down and get Music for TV Dinners.

Pages: 1 12 replies