Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

working small!

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ok, some now I'm updating my amulet collection with some morw traditional designs...the Moai are chiseled from poplar, stained, and lacquered. I'm going to make molds of these and cast them in some new materials:(thanks chikitiki for the insight!) The crier is an early attempt with a dremel

W
wushu posted on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 7:49 PM

nice work, I really dig the cry-er

O

those guys look good, i looking forward to seeing how the molded one come out. keep banging those chisels

B

Yes, you have the basics down now just start carving More and More and some more. Let me know how the molding and casting goes? And keep up the good work

Thanks everyone! I think I enjoy working on smaller objects....they are easier to lug around! Starting a new job art directing an animated series today so, unfortunately, I'll be slowing down my carving a bit.....well. ...we'll see!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 1:48 PM

Cool stuff! Speaking of casting and things like that: I found this clay call Graphitex. It comes in small (3x2x1/2") blocks. Models very much like plasticene clay. Throw it in the oven at 275 degrees and it comes out looking (vaguely) like stone. I've made a few small tiki's and neckless's. May be even easier to cast than wood. Just a thought.

T

You might want to check out Purple Jade's stuff, I know she does some stuff similar with casting. Here is the link to here gallery. sweet stuff as always. She might be able to offer some helpful knowledge.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeCOWzFi2atHMA

Supportive comments are great, showing up in support is even better

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-12 14:45 ]

Yes I do use Granitex. The stone effect is from tiny fibers in the clay, they aren't dimensional and won't make any texture in the mold as far as casting is concerned. For sculpting a blank to mold, plain ol' Sculpey is cheaper.

good looking carvings SP!

can't wait to hear how the molding/casting process goes. Let us know what you end up using!

Pages: 1 8 replies