Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Progress report...

Pages: 1 5 replies

A couple of cool things have happened this week. First, I found my Marples chisel set!!! Rock on!! Second, I scored a bunch of carving aids from my mother in law. My father in law had been an avid duck carver when he was alive; having been a urologist, he could afford to indulge himself with a literal war chest of the best tools available. I just happened to arrive on the scene with an interest in carving three years late, as the primo stuff had already been given to the neighbor's son who had taken up carving. I did manage to score on a couple spoke shaves, a small detail carving set, some honing stones, rasps, and some old Stanley dime-a-dozen chisels. At any rate, I am beyond excuses now, and must commence creating tikiness...or suffer the indignity of having nothing to post.

Finally, a neighbor is having a tree removed, and there is a good fifteen foot trunk standing in her yard waiting to become tikified. It has a dogleg about 8 to 9 feet up, so I may just have it cut into two sections. From what I've read, I'll have to seal the ends of the log(s), then let them sit for about six months to dry out. Is there an ideal moisture content I should be aiming for? 8-12% is about normal for many hardwoods, I think. In the meantime, I have a couple small pieces to practice on.

That's it for now...back to the carving post I go!!!

I once knew a good urologist joke. I've since left it somewhere...

(The World mourns.)

On 2004-07-11 21:41, Bamboo Dude wrote:
My father in law had been an avid duck carver

wow, i bet thats a harder medium to work with, than wood.

i quack myself up..
elicia

On 2004-07-11 21:53, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I once knew a good urologist joke. I've since left it somewhere...
(The World mourns.)

B

Yeay BambooDude Scored toolz. TC is impatiently waiting to see what you do with htem. Come on lets see the chips fly,Crank it up Bring on the Tikis...

TB...I have this suspicion I've heard that joke before!

DB...You're quacking up; see a good psychologist, not some QUACK!!

UB...A classic, man!!!

BenzArt...Thanks for the encouragement. Of course I'm putting myself out there on purpose; there can be no backing down; time to 'put up, or shut up' as it were.
(Gee, I hope I'm good)

Aloha to all

[ Edited by: Bamboo Dude on 2004-07-12 10:25 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies