Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Garage Conversion / ceiling cover

Pages: 1 4 replies

so, I'm still in the planning stage of converting my garage. Currently the garage has that annoying cottage cheese stuff. Also I need to leave the automatic garage door opener in place. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to tikify that ceiling?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

post pics so we know what we are dealing with. Then the suggestions will come forth.

B

Welcome to TC TrojanMonkey.
I think if you look thru the creating Tiki forum, you will see quite a few home Tiki Bars and how they dressed the ceiling. There is grass mat ans bamboo strips, glass fish floats and all kinds of sti=uff. The Garage door opener could be framed out and covered with the same stuff you put on the ceiling.
You will find Lots of info on your subject with many variations.

W

When considering ceilings keep in mind that most people never look up...Not even in visually stunning places like Union Station in LA. At best their awareness of what's overhead stops at their upper periphial vision. Because of this, paint is the cheapest and easiest option. (Popcorn ceilings an be painted...Though I've heard stories of the stuff coming off when painted it's never happened to me.) Flat black or extremely deep blue paint will make your ceiling invisible. The garage door opener can be primed and painted the same color as the ceiling. If your wall covering ends a few inches below the ceiling and is trimmed with bamboo or wood it will stop peoples vision at that point. Plus you will be dazzling their senses with all your swell Tikiphernalia, Jimmy Buffet music, and the drinks you've shoved in their hands. Against a dark background cool hanging stuff will become your "ceiling". No one will look beyond it except your one relative who always notices what you didn't do.
And yeah, I was kidding about the Buffet.

Burlap is another cheap and easy option if you don't wanna paint.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post some pictures when we move in and get this underway. Probably gonna go the painting route.

You all are great!

Pages: 1 4 replies