Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Where to find thatching the cheapest?

Pages: 1 7 replies

K

I've been searching the internet for the cheapest thatching but thought I should ask the experts here... I'm looking for a 1' x 5' piece to cover a section of a hut lamp that I'm building. Any info is appreciated!!

W

In the duck blind section of a large hunting supply place. I saw bundles of "natural duck blind" for around 45 bucks (so many puns to ignore). I'm not sure how many pieces were in the bundle, but it was the standard sheets of woven thatch.

K

Hmmmm. Seems like every place I try (Benson's, OA) requires a $100 purchase to make the shipping reasonable...

Some craft stores sell a raffia table skirt. Not exactly thatch but a palm material just the same. They may also carry bundles of dyed or natural raffia (not in the skirt) for much cheaper.

TM

If you're looking for thatching like the stuff in the picture below, let me know...

K

I'm talking about the woven palm thatch that's hung over the top of bars. You used lauhala matting. Sweet bar by the way.

TM

I'm talking about the woven palm thatch that's hung over the top of bars

The places down here (SoCal) would be Benson's or Oceanic Arts.....You should take a weekend trip and do the L.A. / O.C. Tiki Bar crawl (kill 2 birds with one stone)!

the stuff you are looking for is called raincape thatch

Pages: 1 7 replies