Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

what is the best wood that is native to the northeast to carve?

Pages: 1 1 replies

C

i live on long island, and painting tiki has always been my thing but after veiwing the amazing worx on this site i figure i might as well try it out! but, there is certainly no palms up here, the only wood i seem to be able to come across easily is oak and i can probably find some maple... are they suitable? i have recently come across some old carving tools and am eager to try it out but would like to get a choice wood in case it does come out good....all help would be appreciated.....
and when i think my paintings are worthy of veiwing among the ones here[which are incredible] ill be posting them so you guys can take a look!

B

Welcome to TC Cabinguy, come on in and stay awhile. You can carve the oak, but it is VERY Hard as is the Maple. You should have plenty of White Pine in your neck of the woods which is Soft and carves like butter. Check with your local tree trimmers or Firewood suppliers, they should be able to hook you right up. The Pine should be fairly dry and not fresh or it will check bretty bad.(split)
Hope this helps and don't be afraid to post your pictures AS You Go. Let us help you.
Thanks for posting.

Pages: 1 1 replies