Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

new mug designs by Gecko'z South Sea Arts updated with EXOTICA PROOF pg 1

Pages: 1 45 replies

G

Alooooohaaaaaaa,

Haven't had much time anymore for surfing da TC swells. Been BIZZZZZY!

Anyways, please read first befor you get to the mugs. These mugs are produced by Gecko'z South Sea Arts and will be out in time for Christmas. I'm looking at September. Sorry I'm not taking any pre order list on any mugs at this time.

First is "Da Big Puka"
you guys have seen this already but I was just on da big island of Hawaii visiting my friends Dug Miller and Sven and we were able to make a make shift studio out of a few odds and end things laying around braddah Dug's house.

next is a repro of a mug that got their design from a Bumatay carving. It was never marked with anything saying who made it or where it was used. Being that they took the design from a bumatay mug and made it look like a volcanic crator I decided to call it "Mount Bumatay" like the volcano Mount Kilauea on da big island of Hawaii. Being new at this, we couldnt get the Lava thing down so we just did a regular glaze on it.
We learn as we go, just like carving, painting, writing, wateva!

My 3rd mug........
After designing Exotica for Martin Denny and coming up with a design like that. I knew I had my hands full in having to come up with another crazy design. You be da judge.

Good peopo of TC, South Sea Arts brings you
"TANGAROA"

There will be regular edition of these mugs, a limited edition and a hand painted edition that I do myself.

The very first pic on the left is the regular edition with da burnt orange glaze and matte finish, the Limeted edtion of 100 pcs will have the green glaze inside.
Last but not least will be da kine. These are hand painted by me with a special paint and are done when I'm relaxing at da beach. I'll just take one now and then and paint it and those will only be sold on ebay. Sorry, artist have to make money too.
The rest of the mugs will be sold on my web site at a fixed price(?) when my good friends Jo and Tanya(Traveling in da world of Tiki) get the site up and going good.

These mugs are EXTREMELY hard to make! lotza breakage! We can only make around 5 mugs a day! because of how many molds we use to make one mug BUUUUT I don't care! I new this mug had to be made. "Exotica" was the first drum base mug and now this is the first mug for many things. It stands on both feet, has a real piece of tapa covering the first mug with a...ahem! also comes rated PG, with out the penis. Also comes with the rafia around his arms, another first. Well I hope you guys like them and you peopo here will be da first to know when they are avail.

I had 6 prototypes come in but because my mom dosen't know how to pack freakin boxes!! only 3 made it unscuffed. 2 had cracked legs that were saved by my friend Freddy and 1 unsaveable. So I only ended up with 3 good proto types.

so you can see how big it is in your hand, here's da 16ouncer

this is how the painted ones wil be signed. right on dat buggahs okole. It won't be seen because the tapa will cover his okole too.

PT 1/3 means it's da first of da 3 prototypes

Mahalo'z to:
Sven, for the Photos.
Dug Miller, for the vintage 1963 rare Tiki room tiki in da backround with the painted Tangaroa.
Freddie Coester, for da hand carved Boar tusk that's made of real bone around Tangaroa's neck.

That photo came out so good Me and Sven worked out a deal to sell copies. It's the one that has the Disney tiki room Tangaroa in da backround. 8x10 prints for $10 plus priority shipping which is I think $3.75
great to frame and put on da wall in da tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room!

thought I was done.....!?!?! stick around, da gek has another Tribute mug, yes #2!
This is still in its rough draft though and won't be out till next year. I'm still talking with this great mans family.

Does this handsome guy look familiar?

any guess??
That's the honorable Mr. Augie "The Original Bird Man" Colon!!! R.I.P

WHATCH OUT!!!!!!! GET DEM SHELVES READY!!!!

Aloha
Gek-

Mahaloz and happy hunting!

Here are the "Exotica Proofs" in an exotic beautiful green glaze. Limited to 25 pcs only. signed by both me and Martin Denny. The Denny family owns one, I own one and another lucky someone.
I will sell these on ebay once and a while. Not sure when one will go on?

The blank space with a picture of the original Exotica carving has that space for personalizing(sp?) that is the back of the card. The front of the card shows a pic of me and Mr. D standing by his exotica tiki as well as the number and our signatures. sorry for the bad clearity of this pic.

Mahalo'z for looking!
SHAKA!!!

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-07-13 00:09 ]

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-07-13 01:11 ]

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-07-16 00:39 ]

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-07-16 00:52 ]

Unreal,
Great pic of augie.
Terrific mugs.
Great job
Mahalo,
Al

Gecko, How do I order Tangaroa? Are you gonna keep us posted when we can buy?

mahalo

And Gecko says "CAN'T TOUCH THIS!" The Mug world will never be the same! Never! COO COO G!C

I'm ALMOST speachless! Those mugs are fantastic!!!!! I'll be gettin' me some of those!

G

Hey AL, isn't dat a great pic of Augie! I knew you would appreciate that pic. Tell Shelly her portrait on da black vlevet will be here by the 3rd week of this month.

Kon-Hemsby, I'll keep TC posted brah, no worries!!

or as they say in Australia "No wukkin furries" I learned that at da bar while haveing drinks with 2 awesome Australian wahines. switch the "w" and da "f" their way of saying "No Worries"

CUE EXTREME HOMER SIMPSON DROOL.

I'm in shock. Please keep us posted on when and how we can get them.

Absolutely flabbergasting, indeed! Can't wait til these are available! K

G

Chiki thanks master sculptor! I'm just in da starting phase of learning how this buisness works. I'm sure I'll stumble at times but no worries thats what i did wen i first started caving. Jus keep going! We gotta hook up soon too on some projects.

Mahaloz cuz!

Oh bruddah Gecko!
Those new mugs are beautiful and Tangaroa is UN-real!
Can't wait till they're available.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Beautiful Mugs!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-07-13 10:56 ]

T

Gecko, awesome stuff. Keep on

Gecko,

I was thouroughly content with my Exotica, now you went and lit a serious case of want under my okole.

Gecko, you have taken mug making to the next level! Super bad ass my friend.

GECKO you da supplier and we da junkies :) :) :)

amazing!

M

WOW!!! I have to say you have really outdone yourself with these mugs...I'll be waiting in the long line that's sure to follow!!!

Matt

Damn.....
damn damn damn.

Just when I think it's safe to read a TC post without coveting something.

Gecko, I'm in awe.

Respect.

-Z

I loved the "Exotica" and now you've made new ones. They are absolutely fabulous. Please please please keep us updated. I can't wait to buy them!

By the way love the pics. It was good to see the size compared to your hand.

M

Those are truely amazing. Please keep us posted. GREAT job Gecko.

Mahalo for sharing,

T

On 2004-07-13 00:39, TikiGardener wrote:
CUE EXTREME HOMER SIMPSON DROOL.

...fallen, can't get up, drowning in a pool of drool!

Gecko, braddah! Those mugs are so awesome! For someone who's day job is carver, your part-time job of mug maker is supremely ourstanding.

When those are available... I am in. Those are some beautiful mugs!

K

I don't post that often but I read a lot of posts and reply's, but I have to reply to this post. I have two of Gecko's mugs and they are the best mugs I have in my collection and they stand out on my shelf. I can not wait till September for these mugs to finally go on sale. September is going to be a big month for purchasing Tiki Mugs (Gecko's and Hukilau). Again great looking designs. Keep up the spectacular work.

Gecko Brah -- you keep outdoing yourself! Good work. Can't wait to get mine....

D

good gods those are beautiful.. that is some EYEPOPPING handpainting!

you put your heart and soul into your work Gecko, and it shows!

please dont make us wait too long !

elicia

Truly truly wonderful work Gecko!
You've really raised the bar with those.

AND - thank you for doing both exclusive and open runs on the tongaroa - I've always hoped that someone would take the approach of doing an exclusive deluxe version, but letting the rest of us in on a base version...

Damn Gecko, the waiting is the hardest part!

K

Gecko,

I'm speachless! Those are amazing! I can't wait till Christmas now! I drink out of me Exotica mug every weekend. Keep 'em coming.

Kanaka

K

WOW! - absolutely fabulous work. I'm saving my pennies now.

WOW! These are amazing Gecko.
Everyone here pretty much said described it pretty well, so I'll just say I have never seen more unique mugs, ever.

Mahalo,
Ran

K

HOLY CRAP! That Tangaroa could be the coolest friggin' mug I've ever seen! I'm gonna start walking the streets to pick up pennies!

L

Hey Gecko - is that mug circumsized and if so who did it?" Great mugs!

GECKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me want em NOW!

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 7:24 PM

jus got home from work and happy to see that you guys like the new mugs.

Because I'm no big corp and run only a one man show besides my fabulous black velvet artist, I will have to take 25 to 50 customers per order. Send those ALL out then take another 25 to 50 so I don't have a bunch of collectors getting mad at me because I can't get out the mugs in a timely matter.

I won't do that to myself nor will I do that to you guys. So we can just relax and hopefully you guys will be just as happy about them in September as you are now.

Thanks to all the collectors and the local TC artist who gave me props, support and MAITAIS! You guys are da ones who make me burn all my brain cells up to make you guys keep collecting the crazy art of tiki mugs, No matter if it's my mugs, Chiki's, Bosko, TikiFarm,Munktiki, etc... it's all good!

ALOHA'Z

missed this thread somehow...

I'm not a mug collector - but when I saw that tangaroa it spoke to me! Amazing mug (it's almost like a carving made to be a mug) and I'm looking forward to ordering one. Kudos to you for making such a cool mug and kudos to you for figuring out how to do it too! (It doesn't look like it was easy)

O

Gecko,
You are absolutly amazing!! A true artist! We can't wait to add these to the collection.

Are you going to remember us when you're rich and famous??!!

:drink:

Geck! Glad to see that the photos came out well, considering that I only had one and a half table lamps to light them, and no tripod for the camera! I love improvising like that. I just lit myself for an interview at the Hamburg Trader Vic's with a desk lamp balanced on step ladder. Worked too.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-07-15 00:42 ]

Ooops, I wrote "table lambs" at first...now those are REALLY hard to light with!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-07-15 00:48 ]

On 2004-07-13 06:12, Johnny Dollar wrote:
GECKO you da supplier and we da junkies :) :) :)

Let's face it, folks, we are all "Registered Users" here on TC !

F
foamy posted on Thu, Jul 15, 2004 7:00 AM

The best mugs I've seen. Now... if I just had some money.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-07-15 07:01 ]

I

Gecko.. YOU ROCK!

I'll order a set pre-filled with Mai-Tai.

Don't keep us in suspense too long.

I-Tiki

Coming out of lurkdom here to add to the puddle of drool. Please please please keep us posted, these are spectacular! I love Tangaroa, but I looooooove Mount Bumatay.

V

nothing else to say than : I WANT

B

Gecko, absolutely fantastic. I see your pattern here. You disapear for a while and come back with something that knocks our socks off only this time you not only knocked our socks off but it seems we're covered in drool enough to fill all your Mugs. One of these days you are gonna give us a heart attack. Oh Oh, The BIG One.

G

yaaa, I guess they're alright?

Mahaloz to you all. I'm waiting Just as anxious as you on these babies.

Tangaroa was done to look like a tiki carving yes. That's what I was going for. I wanted that primitive carving look......and thats what popped out of my right and left ear. I'm posting the new "Exotica Prood" on page one. This is a limited edition of 25. I own one, Martin Denny owns one an another collector. I will let one go on ebay once and a while, but no rush on letting them leave yet. These are signed by me and Martin Denny. go check'um out when you have da chance.

Love those mugs Gecko! Some of the best I've seen. Skill, vision, and pushing the Tiki boundries - I take my hat off to you!

Trader Woody

Holy sheepsh@t! Those mugs kick total ass! That Tangaroa is probably the best mug I have ever seen. The Rarotongan Fisherman's God is by far the coolest looking tiki(IMO) There are not many mugs to choose from in that style tiki, thanks Gecko. I look forward to owning 1 or 2 or 3....

Pages: 1 45 replies