Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sew Tiki!

Pages: 1 44 replies

I recently bought a new sewing machine that does embroidery. Here are some photos from its first use:

the first color

further along

almost done

the finished design

My second stitch-out -- both of these will be made into throw pillows.

Cool stuff CC. If I had one of those, my handkerchiefs, washcloths, dish towels, hats, boxers and my newborn son's burpcloths would have tikis plastered all over them!

Looks great! Are those your own designs?

D

hey.. your monkey needs a fez!

you are darned crafty. is that one of those fancy machines that use digital patterns?

elicia

On 2004-07-13 15:58, Sam Gambino wrote:
If I had one of those, my handkerchiefs, washcloths, dish towels, hats, boxers and my newborn son's burpcloths would have tikis plastered all over them!

thanks!

So far I've been doing some T-shirts and throw pillows and I'm getting ready to do some towels. Hopefully soon I will have things for sale....

On 2004-07-13 16:07, UtopianDreem wrote:
Looks great! Are those your own designs?

Those came from embroideryonline.com. There are TONS of designs available for download.

I bought software with my machine that will allow me to scan and digitize artwork, and create designs of my own, but I haven't had much time to play with it yet.

On 2004-07-13 16:25, dogbytes wrote:
hey.. your monkey needs a fez!

Is that one of those fancy machines that use digital patterns?

Yes, it's a Bernina artista 185. How about this for a fez?
http://www.emblibrary.com/Emblibrary/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Emblibrary&category%5Fname=Free+and+Accepted+Masons&product%5Fid=J1278

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 5:14 PM

So, forgive my ignorance, but is that thing totally automated? What do you have to do, punch buttons and change the thread? I can sew a button on by hand, that's about it.

Very nice!

On 2004-07-13 17:14, Kono wrote:
So, forgive my ignorance, but is that thing totally automated?

Here's how it works:

1. Load design into machine via memory card or PC connection.
  2. Place fabric and stabilizer (backing) in hoop and attach hoop to machine.
  3. Thread with first color and start -- machine stops and cuts thread when that color is finished.
  4. Clip any hanging threads, change color and restart machine. Repeat until all colors have been stitched.

The two designs I posted here each took over an hour to stitch. The design with the monkey has 15 different colors and over 12,000 stitches! What have I gotten myself into?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 6:59 PM

That first one would look great on a car seat cover.

An hour labor's nothing for getting such cool looking results! Let us know when you're stuff's on ebay...

You could take digital pics of mugs and tikis and use PSP to soften the image and get rid of the background and then import that into your software. The possibilities are endless!

That is nice stuff. I'm sure you could work out an arrangement with some of the artists here. Hint hint.

T

Very cool,
I wonder how much did you pay for this cool toy?

Tahitiki

On 2004-07-13 18:59, Kono wrote:
You could take digital pics of mugs and tikis and use PSP to soften the image and get rid of the background and then import that into your software.

It's not as simple as it sounds. I downloaded the Tiki Central logo and ran it through my digitizing software, and it told me I would need 63 colors of thread!

Digitizing line art and solid colors is pretty easy, but it gets really complex when any shading is involved. I'm not saying it can't be done; I have great admiration for the people who do this for a living.

On 2004-07-13 19:49, Tahitiki wrote:
I wonder how much did you pay for this cool toy?

Plenty! (and that's all I'm saying) 8)

On 2004-07-13 16:25, dogbytes wrote:
hey.. your monkey needs a fez! elicia

No doubt! He looks almost nekkid! But I love the designs you have doen so far, and I think we need to start finding things for you to embroider so you can start making some of your money back.

If you can't
make it to the party,
make your own.
http://www.tiki-asylum.4t.com

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-13 22:37 ]

Sweeet machine!

Those things cost a bundle, all I've got is a 1949 Kenmore that does my machine quilting like a hot damn, but that's it. Have fun with it!

I know you can simplify images in photoshop, take them down to 6 colours or something more managable. Have fun! I can't wait to see an original!

On 2004-07-13 20:34, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2004-07-13 18:59, Kono wrote:
You could take digital pics of mugs and tikis and use PSP to soften the image and get rid of the background and then import that into your software.

It's not as simple as it sounds. I downloaded the Tiki Central logo and ran it through my digitizing software, and it told me I would need 63 colors of thread!

Digitizing line art and solid colors is pretty easy, but it gets really complex when any shading is involved. I'm not saying it can't be done; I have great admiration for the people who do this for a living.

Cyn, you could reduce the color palette of the image before feeding it into the digitizing software, that shoud reduce the number of thread colors involved.

T

Is this what you are doing with that new fancy machine, making "sassypants"?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63854&item=5308520097&rd=1

For some reason I'm picturing every TC'er having their own custom cocktail napkins. How cool. Sounds like a nice side project :wink:

-Z

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S SHMANCY SEWING MACHINE...
Oh, but I do, I've been wanting one of those for eons.
Hey, wasn't weird unc looking for someone to embroider shirts for the Mai Kai Gents? Should make sure he knows about your new toy.

On 2004-07-14 08:36, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Is this what you are doing with that new fancy machine, making "sassypants"?

Yeah, but mine are going to say:

LICK BUSH
POUND DICK

[i]On 2004-07-14 11:05, cynfulcynner wrote
Yeah, but mine are going to say:

LICK BUSH
POUND DICK
2004 8)

I'LL BUY A PAIR OF THOSE!!

No political comments please.

W
wushu posted on Thu, Jul 15, 2004 6:27 PM

wicked needle work, impressive, design, impressive lookin' machine

D

bump:
hey cynn ~ have you made anything lately? been thinking of your fancypants machine..

elicia

ps: i borrowed the sew easy book from the library.. guess i should try out my vintage sewing machine soon!

S
SES posted on Fri, Sep 10, 2004 2:51 PM

Pretty fancy machine!

On 2004-09-10 14:32, dogbytes wrote:
hey cynn ~ have you made anything lately? been thinking of your fancypants machine..

I've done some more embroidery (it's getting easier) -- I need to post the pictures. Right now I am working on my Halloween costume, but I can't say what it is yet because it's still classified. :D

ps: i borrowed the sew easy book from the library.. guess i should try out my vintage sewing machine soon!

Were the patterns included?

D

*On 2004-09-10 14:55, cynfulcynner wrote:*Were the patterns included?

yep. but it felt weird to cut up library materials (so i used the online "ask a librarian" first) ~ who said i could trace 'em, but not cut them.. sheesh. :)

On 2004-09-10 15:54, dogbytes wrote:
yep. but it felt weird to cut up library materials (so i used the online "ask a librarian" first) ~ who said i could trace 'em, but not cut them.. sheesh. :)

I'm surprised that the patterns were there at all. That's the sort of thing that quickly gets lost.

Just saw one of those fancy sewing machines at the LA fair. Some run in excess of $5,000! Yes, $5,000!!!! Can I just send you some shirts and pay you for the tiki embrodary? Those tiki designs are sweet!

On 2004-09-10 22:05, Atomicchick wrote:
Just saw one of those fancy sewing machines at the LA fair. Some run in excess of $5,000! Yes, $5,000!!!! Can I just send you some shirts and pay you for the tiki embrodary? Those tiki designs are sweet!

Some of these machines can cost a LOT -- the top-of-the-line Bernina 200 comes with an Internet connection and retails for around $7K -- and the commercial machines are even more. However, you can find good-quality sewing/embroidery machines for much less, starting at $300-400.

If you want to send me some blank shirts, I'll be glad to embroider them. E-mail me at cynner AT atdial DOT net (replace AT and DOT with @ and period, obviously) and we'll work something out.

--cindy

More machine embroidery pix....all of these are towels.

The one on the left was a gift for Martiki.

The one on the right was a "thanks for letting me crew on your sailboat" gift -- Macondo is the name of the boat.

--cindy

WOW!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:20 ]

Ya Cyn,
I would love to have some bar towels for my bar.
Let me know if you have the time and PM me a price.
Great work!

P

Very cool stuff, and the towels are a great idea ! If you decide to take on more commissions, please PM me, too !

Cyn love the new stuff, keep em coming!

I've decided to make a set of curtains for my bedroom. Here's the fabric I'm using:

It's all cotton, with a texture like that of barkcloth. The design is actual size.

There are tons of home decor fabrics out there in tiki, Hawaiian, googie, and midcentury-modern patterns.

Here's a shot of the finished googie curtains:

This project was SUPER EASY. The curtain rod and rings are from Ikea. The rings have little spring clips on them, so I didn't have to sew the curtains with anything at the top for the rod to go through. All I had to do was hem the edges and clip them into place. The hardest part was hanging the rod and getting it level.

Now I can commence with the tiki-embroidered holiday gifts....

M

Just noticed this thread today (duh) and wanted to publicly thank cindy for the killer Foggy Grotto towel! It's even better looking in person.

I decided it was far too nice to get crapped up with grenadine and other sticky stainy things, so it's our hand towel in the new tiki toilet.

Mahalo!

B

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get that cool fabric that you used for curtains, Cyn!?

The idea of every TCer having thier own tiki nappy is suave indeed. Maybe tho dirinking overalls would be...you know...more on the mark...can you embroider...fireproof fabric?

Those are sweet. Thanks for sharing

On 2004-11-25 02:09, BARNETT wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but where did you get that cool fabric that you used for curtains, Cyn!?

I bought it at Britex here in SF (http://www.britexfabrics.com/); you can also order it online from Repro Depot (http://www.reprodepot.com/).

B

Oh-boy-oh-boy! Thanks!

Pages: 1 44 replies