Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New Schwinn Sting Ray - OC Choppers bike

Pages: 1 21 replies

L
laney posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 3:35 PM

The new Schwinn Sting Ray came out last month and we just got my son, Nick's, home today! It took a little while to track one down as they are pretty quick to sell.

My older Sis sent me the link before Nick's Birthday and was remembering when she got her Sting Ray in the 60's. Same with the guy behind us when we were buying it. He said "Wow, that's the new Sting Ray! I remember how cool mine was back then, and that bike is really cool!"

It is sweet with OC Choppers designs, riveted seat, and fat back tire! It even has little dice air valve covers. Nick's stoked

That is fabulous! It's good to see that he's got his helmet strapped on correctly -- I see so many kids around here with helmets on so loose that they would have no protection in an accident.

Laney,
He is now officially the coolest kid in the neighborhood.
It makes me wish I were young again.
I was the first kid on my block to have junior bars and nobby tires on my Schwinn.

L
laney posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 3:52 PM

cyn-Thanks, I make him wear it, he rides around the neighborhood with a few other kids and some don't even wear helmets! I hope he keeps his on and I threaten not to let him ride if I ever catch him without it.

Unga-I think some of his friends will be getting them now. If it was a bit bigger, I'd get one for me. I'll just have to trick out my 3 wheeler with the big basket in back! (I really have one of those)

On 2004-07-13 15:52, laney wrote:
cyn-Thanks, I make him wear it, he rides around the neighborhood with a few other kids and some don't even wear helmets!

In California, bike helmets are mandatory for kids under 18, and they're a good idea for adults too. (One saved me from becoming a human veggie a few years back.)

Sweeeet ride!
This is the first I've seen of them.

I was hit by a car in a crosswalk at age 10, helmets weren't worn then and I got quite the gash on my head(knocked unconscious), requiring a CAT scan. Now it's illegal in BC for ANYONE to ride a bike without a helmet.
VERY happy to see your son in one!

I know he'll enjoy many happy rides on that puppy.
Mahalo,

T

Laney, that is one sweet bike. Good for your son that he has a hip mama!

I want one! Does it come in Large?

Wow, thats a cool bike -- your son is one lucky boy. Speaking of chopper styled bikes, check these out. They kinda look like they're styled after Westcoast Choppers:

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 8:27 PM

One reason they're hard to get is, again – buyer/sellers are buying them up and reselling on ebay. There's amillion of them there. Creeps.

And that boy has to be in heaven.

[ Edited by: foamy on 2004-07-13 21:08 ]

Man, I will have to say that bike's cool.

Hey Laney, will you adopt me (I'm house broken,... sort of...).

L
laney posted on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 9:15 PM

Well, it was pretty hard to track down. We started on-line but didn't want to pay shipping. Next a local bike shop $300.00!!!! Next Toys R Us-sold out no more for at least a month. 3 Walmarts (worst customer service ever) 6 Targets in 2 days and finally found one. It was very reasonably priced at $180.

Here's a link to the site. Check out the History with retro pics, video, and stories (remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine finds a Sting-Ray?)
http://www.schwinnstingray.com/

Who else remembers buying old Schwinns at yard sales to cut off the forks to extend yours? Working in the garage, ruining your Dad's drill bits trying to drill bolt holes to hold the forks together?

F

I remember. Finally decided that a 24" bike's fork worked better. Pop wheelies with a stroke of the pedal. This is my last(?) retro baby.

Ya gotta love a spyder bike.

I came close to buying one of those Schwinns for myself recently over the internet. Looking at the pics, I realise I might be a little large for it! Still, there's always this beauty from Kona (£750 - ouch!)

Trader Woody

That Stingray is one fine looking machine...what's the deal with these helmets though? When I was a kid no one wore them and we turned out just fine....I think....

J

I saw these on Good Morning America one morning when I was stuck at work - I never thought these bikes would see the light of day! That is awesome!

T

On 2004-07-13 15:45, Unga Bunga wrote:
It makes me wish I were young again.

ditto! never had one, but man looking at the cool factor of that bike is awesome, I wish my son Gabe was old enough I would do everything in my power to get him one if he wanted it. Thanks for sharing your sons joy.

L
laney posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 12:35 PM

A little update...
We were at my niece's Birthday Party at my Mom's and Nick wanted to show off his bike so we took it over there. I was parking it arround by the back garage door when I spotted it...
My sister's 1960's Sting Ray "slick chick"
a bit of rust and the tires are toast but what a great green color! I'll post some pics when I get her up and running!

Any advice restoring her would be greatly appreciated!

B
BaronV posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 6:44 PM

Like the old ones better, but my kid saw one on-line and wants one. How high can the seat be adjusted? Can the seat be adjusted?

F

My brother had an Apple Krate. I saw one recently. They didn't seem so small when I was a kid! These new choppers are boss, man.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-08-03 20:57 ]

T

Was at Wally Mart and they had about 10 lined up for sale at the main entrance, darn if I can remember the asking price. The website was cool though, and the commercial is neat.

Pages: 1 21 replies