Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Humuhumu in Atlanta & Augusta this weekend (7/17 & 7/18)

Pages: 1 16 replies

H

Aloha! I'm jetting out to Georgia this weekend.

I'm taking the redeye out Friday night arriving Saturday morning. I'm going to rent a car and drive to Augusta to see Hale Tiki with my very own eyes (as early as I possibly can--Hale Tiki opens at 5pm).

Then after that (sadly) short visit I'm hopping back in the rental car to hotfoot it back to Atlanta in time for the Tiki Torch Night at the Trader Vic's that evening.

Sunday morning I'm sleeping in a smidge, but then I have the whole day to explore before my plane leaves Atlanta at 10pm that night.

Anyone gonna be in town & wanna play? Anyone want to join me for the Hale Tiki jaunt?

P

That's some schedule.
But, of course, you ARE Humuhumu.

I doubt I'd be able to leave Hale Tiki in a car and still do the Torch Nights right. The concubine is a potent mistress.

My plan is to do Torch Nights and spend the night there at the Hilton and then hang out Sunday morning at some cool breakfast joint where I can get some real grits.

I'm going to try to get to Hale TIki on the way back south.

See you Saturday night!

EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL LIVES!

Jet setting tiki socialite on her way! Watch out GEORGIA!! :wink: Just had to kid you a lil Humuhumu, I would love to borrow some of your frequent flyer miles though.

Hope to see you there, Pablus.
I can definitely point you in the right direction for some real "stick to yo' ribs" southern breakfast options (which you'll need after a night of Trader Vic's).

H

I'm up for some breakfast Sunday a.m., pablus, if you don't mind me tagging along. I'm going to crash at the Hilton, too.

Wish we could make it but won't be in Atlanta until Monday evening. I grew up in Atlanta (Virginia-Highlands). If your looking for breakfast..make sure to check out The Flying Biscuit near Little Five Points....amazing food!

P
H

I will be glad to get my own grits. Once I find a local to help me know grits when I see them.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:49 ]

Good to see you again, Miss Humu. Hope a good time was had by all...Sorry I had to miss this one..I'll be at the next one.

S

I saw HumuHumu at Hukilau, but never met her. Now I know she is such a sweetie! Next time I hope I am not drunk/hung over when we hang out in September in Fort Lauderdale!

Did you enjoy your grits? You didn't finish them though! Bad girl.

Hope you enjoyed yourself and can't wait to see you at Hukilau.

I had the BEST time in Georgia! It completely exceeded my expectations.

I absolutely fell in love with the Atlanta Trader Vic's, it is my favorite of the Trader Vic's, and my second favorite polynesian restaurant after the Mai Kai. Hale Tiki was even better than the many already impressive photos we've seen. Brad & Basement Kahuna were wonderful hosts in Augusta (southern boys know how to make a girl feel special even when she isn't, and Brad & BK are no slouches at the art!), and Tiki Kiliki demonstrated yet again that no one throws a party like she does--the Atlanta Trader Vic's owes her a huge debt, and they seem to know it. It's a happy arrangement for all, especially us tikiphiles who get to reap the best rewards. Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo.

It was so nice to get to spend more time hanging out with Kava King & his wahine, Swanky (so happy to be your City of Refuge, my shoeless friend! it was the least I could do after you treated me to Sleepwalk), Rex Reverb, BK's friend Billy, Terry (sp?) and kane, the fabulous Haole Cats (I have much love for anyone who gives me an excuse to dance!), and last but never, ever least: pablus. Oh yes, pablus exposure on a regular basis is recommended for all TCers. Word is the Hoiti Toitis may be getting a dose soon.

Ah, grits. Between the redeye out & resulting jet lag, the drive out to Augusta & back, drinks at Hale Tiki and way, way more drinks at Trader Vic's, my belly just wasn't up to more than a taste of them. I liked 'em, though, and I look forward to giving them another go--perhaps with cornflakes crunched in, or some other adulteration that will amuse the locals. The biscuits, though--I already miss the biscuits quite terribly.

I even had a little vintage aloha wear luck! The dresses I bought are too big for me, so they'll get distributed to the Southern California Women's Tiki Auxiliary.

Pictures soon.

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-19 12:08 ]

take it from an old Southern boy, grits are best when mixed with scrambled eggs ... and I hear ya about the biscuits --

P

What a party.

Kava King and his lovely wahine were great to talk with.

The Haole Cats were talented and fun.

At the end of the night the dance floor was filled and among them were the happy faces of Tiki Kiliki and Humuhumu.

Swanky filled the gaps with great music although the Hawai'ian War Chant is turning his mind inside-out.

Joel was troubled but highly effective and the new bartender there, Salam Muhammed, was great help for our man, Joel.

It was a great time. We jammed a bit of uke around the bar into the wee hours. Our lovely ladies of TC were radiant. The men were all handsome and witty. The drinks were refreshing and potent.

Then I snored Swanky out of the room.
Literally.

H

I'm finally getting around to the pictures from this trip:

Hale Tiki in Augusta:

All the Hale Tiki pictures: http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/hale_tiki/

Me & the Uberflirt, Brad:

Basement Kahuna being a kook:

Brad & BK show off the picture of the Hale Tiki mascot:

A closer view (be sure to ask about it when you visit Hale Tiki):

Mmmmm... Concubine:

BK vamping on top of the Hale Tiki bar:

Tiki Torch Nights at Trader Vic's Atlanta:

All the Tiki Torch Nights pictures: http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/tiki_torch_night/

The mistress of ceremonies, Tiki Kiliki, with the Fires of Polynesia dancers:

Swanky, DJing:

Tiki Kiliki & I, molesting some poor Marquesan:

Billy, Mrs. Kava King (Kava Queen?), Kiliki, Kava King:

Swanky shares a drink with Bamboo Handbag:

Joel, our hero (on the left, with another bar employee):

Bamboo Handbag Hoedown:

Rex Reverb & Tiki Kiliki:

Pablus, getting out the most lovely sounding ukulele I've ever heard:

Pablus is stunned to discover his drink is pink (he drank it anyway):

Kiliki & I shake a very blurry tailfeather as the Haole Kats play:

Kiliki hears the call of Bali Hai while on the dance floor:

Kiliki tells pablus it was very, very naughty to take pictures when she wasn't looking:

Swanky & I discuss the finer points of the art of trying to figure out which room in the Hilton is yours after a night at the Trader Vic's:

Pablus serenades us at the bar:

Pablus is joined by haole kat:

A fine sentiment:

And last but not least, grits:

The rest of the Sunday morning pictures: http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/sunday_georgia/

Swanky finally found his room after the sun had come up:

The Silver Skillet:

Waitin' fer grits:

Swell formica:

Grits!

Mahalo again to my hosts & companions during my trip to Georgia, I had a wonderful time and can't wait to visit again!

TB

UMMM...Grits, the best day after drinking food ever! Great Pics Humu.

Pages: 1 16 replies