Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Got Wood ~ Fiji Carving (NC-17)

Pages: 1 10 replies

My father-in-law says this carving was a souvenir from Fiji. Its missing a spear, and isn't the most detailed woodwork ~ but there is definitely wood in photo #2!

This should make Colin Farrel envious..

and again I ask.. but is it tiki?

Cool, even if it's not tiki. It relates to Fiji, so it's a cultural piece worth keeping. Any initials or dates? If you don't want it............

my in-laws received this from a friend returning from his fijian honeymoon ~ 18+ yrs ago. they've never liked this carving, and its been sitting in the garage for ages. but thankfully my father-in-law saw my BoT, and realized, someone would finally appreciate this!
there are no markings at all..
i might make him a little tapa loincloth :)

What's the backside look like?

endulging your fetish for tiki bottoms :o

i should send him to Benzart for some cosmetic carving... maybe he could add some body to this flat-butt boy.

B

Well I think he sure could use some, but I think the idea was to get a good look front Or back.
By the way I think he needs a Big tapa cloth, a small one would do no good.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-07-17 12:46 ]

Yeah, he's got a truckers butt.

D

i think im going to name this tiki "Al" as in Al Sharpton ~ he's got his hair!

elicia

B

Dogbytes How did your parents like your new tiki stuff??

they were rightly impressed with The Moai! and the "but is it tiki" stuff dad brought fits in wonderfully in the room. they also toted 2 large bowls, 2 small bowls, 4 surfer girl mugs, and 12 coconut mugs ~ all from Orchids, minty fresh (3 coconuts broke, dad did not heed my words about bubble wrap and its proper usage).. they quickly saw all the stuff they've bought for me (odd coconut monkey, bali mask, bali-ish pole)

argh. just met friends of my parents who live here in seattle. Mrs. Wong (now 74 yrs old) worked at Trader Vic's for 5 years (and NO she doesnt have any swag..i politely inquired..) again, it was a matter of "TV is a job" and they didnt see why they'd keep any stuff.

elicia

P

I got one of those carvings back in 1985 when I was "dragged" to Fiji by my folks....so that'd make mine 19 years old. I still remember the guy carving FIJI into the front of it, just some dude at an open air market in Nadi. I was a little pissed at my dad 'cos we bought 2 and he gave the BETTER one away to his boss (what a suck!!)Also did a little outrigger boat with my name carved into the bow.

Pages: 1 10 replies