Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tahitian Carvings

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd share some of the pictures I took in Tahiti a while ago.

Those two guys were in front of a pearl store in Bora Bora.

At the Papeete market on Tahiti.

The front of a "wedding boat" in Huahine. You get to spend your wedding night on the boat in the lagoon so nobody can bother you.

I just can't remember what those were for.

This weird guy lives in Huahine.

A local’s tattoo in Huahine.

A carver in Moorea at the Tiki Village.

I didn't had the time to rest in the hammock, shame on me.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki on 2004-07-16 11:03 ]

O

excellent pictures, thank you for sharing them. man i need to go to the to the Polynesia, and soon.

B

Awesome Pix Tahitiki, really makes you want to go there. Thanks for the time and effort to go there and get those pic's for us. What? Thats NOT why you went? Oh well, thanx anyway.

Thanks for the pics brah, I've made a goal to visit Bora Bora within the next 5 years.

T

On 2004-07-16 11:01, Tahitiki wrote:

The front of a "wedding boat" in Huahine. You get to spend your wedding night on the boat in the lagoon so nobody can bother you.

This wasn't "Marama II" was it?
:)

Jungle Trader, Bora Bora was definitly my favorite island, as well as Huahine.
It's not too hard to go there, the hard part is to come back, trust me, it's haaaarrrrd.

Sorry, Tikibars, I don't know the name of the boat.

Tahitiki

Awesome pics man, those tikis on the shelf were sweet, time to start saving those pennies for a trip.

Just to avoid confusion, and since this style of Tiki is my favourite:
These Tikis, though prevalent in Tahiti, are actually done in the Marquesan style. The tradition was brought to Tahiti by Marquesan carvers who moved there for the tourist business.
There was no highly evolved carving tradition in ancient Tahiti, their god images were more symbolic ceations bundled out of sennit, Tapa and sticks.

Admittedly, in the melting pot of Polynesian Pop, these are the only Tikis Tahiti's got, so from that viewpoint they can be termed Tahitian Tikis.

Ahh Home, looks like the Sofitel In Huahine and the Beachcomber Moorea or BOra BOra - People, Tahiti is not all that expensive. CHeck out the prices for trips from Costco. Some of the best prices in the world. I have a few Tahitian friends here as we speak. They are going to Costco and Home Depot for their vacation. We want Tikis and they want Stuff. Weird World.

T

Ia orana Pacific Andy,
Good eye, it's the Sofitel In Huahine and the Beachcomber in Moorea.
So you've been there and you're still there... petit veinard, I can't wait to go back!!!

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki on 2004-07-19 16:43 ]

The Tahitian Flu - It gets worse and worse and worse. Imagine being obsessed with a location that has tiki's, Mai Tai's and great Vahines

PacificAndy:

Thanks for sharing.

What did you think of the Tiki Village in Moorea?

Also, what is the biggest difference between the islands that you noticed?

T

Alright Christiki295,
As a French person, I really enjoyed Tahiti and it's islands, the way the Tahitian speaks French is "trop cool".

On the island of Tahiti the town of Papeete is more like a small village of the French Riviera, same vibe, the scooters and moped are everywhere, ice cream stand on the street, cafes, croissant and croque monsieur a every street corner, I really enjoy been somehow back to France without the angry faces, the Tahititian are great people, they are so nice, it's incredible the vibe out there, so cool. My vahine and I did a quick tour the rest of the island, there are some cool places to see, but it was fast so it's hard to judge.

Bora Bora is like heaven on earth. The view from the plane window is just unbelievable, it's a tiny island, they is not much to do, but that's the point, the beauty is just... you just have to see it, there is no word or pictures that can describe it.

Huahine, is like Vietnam I guess, really green, lots of humidity, really cool marae, the people are the nicest I met in all the islands I've been. It’s a more savage island. My vahine didn't really enjoyed it, lots of mosquito, I loved the place and the people, a great island but could be ruff for some people.

Moorea is more touristy and organized for the tourists, a lot of people love this island, it's really a beautiful island, it's easy, but after Huahine it was like coming back to civilization, Lot of cool restaurants, definitely the easiest island to go to, my vahine loved it. It's a great place to go first I think.

The Tiki Village in Moorea was great, but I did not pay for it, so I'm not a really good judge. The Tahittians dancer are amazing!!! but the food sucks, and the show at the beggining is not that great.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki on 2004-07-19 20:39 ]

Tiki village on Moorea is OK. It has a great Tahitian dance show and they have some good cultral things and good tiki's. The food is terrible. Each island as stated above has its own vibe. Moorea is becoming more touristy but its great. A lot of good restaurants and fun. Bora Bora is good very beautiful but a little to crowded for me. I love Huahine if you want the real island feel. Small town, great people just a surf and beer spot. You have the Marquesan islands which are a true Tiki dream and very primative. Its like Tahiti 50 years ago so it would be Hawaii 100 years ago. I have been to Tahaa recently at the new Pearl and its a great place to relax and get away from it all. Tahiti is fantastic and I always compare it to Hawaii in the 50's

Hey Tahitiki
do you remember the name of the guy with the Tatoo in Huahine. Was it Moe?

T

Sorry Pacific Andy, I can't remember his name, but he has the coolest tattoo on his back, it's a whale with hundred of marquesan signs that covers his entire back. I've got a picture of it but swear not to share it. Anyway he hangs as the Sofitel bar and everybody seems to know him.

Tahitiki

Hey Andy, There is a fantastic tattoo artist on Huahine we met last year. I'm pretty sure his Tahitian name is Choti (probably spelled wrong) or george. He is covered head to toe on one side. (He told his brother is covered on the oposite side). Nice guy though and very talented.
Iorana Andy, Wes

Pages: 1 16 replies