Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

VOODOO?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Does anyone else find it curious that the term Voodoo is often used in the context of Tiki/Poly Pop culture? My experience has been that Voodoo is specifically Caribbean hailing from a similar African religion. Is there indeed a form of Voodoo linked to South Pacific culture, or is this just another example Tiki Pops charming cultural inconsistancy?

As far as I know, just another example of Polynesian Pop's charming cultural inconsistency.

Just think of what would happen if we were to "ban" all voodoo (I also like "hoodoo") references in tiki land. Think of all those wonderful Martin Denny LP covers we would be forbidden to gaze upon, ever again. Too tragic.

T

...and most good rums are made in the Caribbean

...and the food in most Tiki restaurants in from southeast Asia (more or less)

...and New Guinea isn't actually a part of Polynesia - but carvings and artifacts that decorate most of the Trader Vic's restaurants are from this location

...etc.

It's all good!

T

I love this design for the Voodoo Rum, voodoo+tiki+rum=yummi!

http://www.redrum.com

She put a spell on me!

If you can't
make it to the party,
make your own.
http://www.tiki-asylum.4t.com

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-18 14:50 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-18 14:51 ]

Actually, the practice of trying to influence your enemy's fate with spiritual energy was not an unknown practice in Polynesia, even with the help of smaller effigies.
The fingernails and hair of chiefs were collected and put away safely for that reason.
Also, in Exotica pop culture the Zombie predates the Tiki as the tropical boo boo man. Zombies are a Carribean tradition.

Dudes!

I'm not speaking of the removal of said "Voodoo" from Tiki Pop at all! If anything I strictly forbid its removal from pretty much anything. I embrace the use of Voodoo in our realm! I'm only recognizing the unique culture from which Voodoo (and subsequently rum) originates, as well as the quaint misuse of the term in song titles such as those of Martin Denny's. Heck, I'm drunk on rum right now!!!
I'm just looking for some depth on the matter.

Sincerely,
FREAKBEAR

PS:
TikiToa,
Thanks for the photos!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-07-18 22:00 ]

Anyone here have any knowledge of the "VooDoo Kings" car club out of Illinios, I think? (Maybe New York...maybe both, hell, I don't know.)

But the tatoo covered group does incorporate the Voo Doo theme with tiki related pinstriping on their old black primer rides. Pretty cool.

I look forward to seeing them at some shows this year.

This is somewhat free assocation, but:

Voodoo is close to taboo, which was the translation/interpretation for the Hawaiian religion/social code kapu.

I like Tikibar's voodoo Caribbean rum theory, it is the most logical marriage between tiki and Caribbean rum.

How is the phrase "hoodoo" used & what does it mean?

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-07-20 20:00 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies