Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

At Random, Milwaukee, WI

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:40 ]

T

TNTiki, man I called Finkdaddy after I had things clear up, was all set to drive and meet with you and him, then he tells me that your plane was hit by lightning or something, you were delayed, would not be going to the At Random bar. I am so disappointed to not have been able to meet up with you.

I'm so sorry we didn't get together that night. I like At Random. Not a tiki bar by any means, but it's comfy and the drinks are terrific.

I understand there is a new bar in Milwaukee that calls itself a tiki bar. I haven't been there yet, but from what I have read i don't think I'll be to impressed. It sounds like an artsy-fartsy East-Milwaukee bar that happens to have a big tiki painted on the wall and serves a few fruity drinks. They do theme nights like punk rock night, garage band night, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad place to drink, because I've never been there. I'm just saying that it's not really a tiki bar.

I will visit soon and give a TC review with pics for everyone.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:41 ]

On 2004-07-19 08:40, finkdaddy wrote:

I understand there is a new bar in Milwaukee that calls itself a tiki bar. I haven't been there yet, but from what I have read i don't think I'll be to impressed. It sounds like an artsy-fartsy East-Milwaukee bar that happens to have a big tiki painted on the wall and serves a few fruity drinks. They do theme nights like punk rock night, garage band night, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad place to drink, because I've never been there. I'm just saying that it's not really a tiki bar.

It is Foundation... they are not a tiki bar in the literal sense... and I don't think it has really been promoted as being an all out tiki bar. Its not a new bar... it is very popular with the punk-skate scene and used to have old boards as decor. It has been and is still the farthest thing from an artsy fartsy bar. In the past you could find skinheads pounding their fists on the bar to the sounds of hard core punk. They have since redecorated to reflect the bar manager's (Donnie Nelson of "The Nelsonics") obsession with Tiki. And to mellow and expand the crowd base according to Donnie. There is a nice display of some mugs and Coco Joes tikis behind the bar, some paintings and bamboo trimmings. Donnie is supposed to do an event with me doing some carving and selling out front. The drinks are only fair and come from a mix made by the bar... it is still a beer bar for the most part. Visiting DJ's spin anything from Rockabilly to 80's alternative. On tiki nights the music is more themed.
As far as neighborhood bars go in Milwaukee, it is a cool and unique place...

I have pictures posted at this thread...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8906&forum=1

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-07-19 22:29 ]

On 2004-07-18 15:40, TNTiki wrote:
Mrs. TNTiki stayed at the hotel to take care of Bosko, our new Bearded Collie puppy.

Looks like a cool place. I like the name.
A cool name for your dog as well.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:42 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:42 ]

S

TNTiki,

Thanks for the tip from the NY thread. Sorry for the late notice, but I'm currently in Milwaukee for a conference through Saturday night and thought I might check this place out. Where is it located? Also, is Foundation worth a visit?

Fink Daddy and Tiki Toa if you guys are around, perhaps a gathering on the WI tribe is in order.

I'll this thread later today (currently at Kinko's downtown).

T

If you get a chance call me, I will PM you with my number if you can, Finkdaddy works nights through the week I believe. Sat if possible is going to be the best chance I think though.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-09-29 13:22 ]

On 2004-09-29 13:09, stentiki wrote:
TNTiki,

Thanks for the tip from the NY thread. Sorry for the late notice, but I'm currently in Milwaukee for a conference through Saturday night and thought I might check this place out. Where is it located? Also, is Foundation worth a visit?

Fink Daddy and Tiki Toa if you guys are around, perhaps a gathering on the WI tribe is in order.

I'll this thread later today (currently at Kinko's downtown).

I would love to, but like Toa said, Saturday night will be the only time I'm open. Working 2nd shift is the worst.

Tiki Toa and Finkdaddy,

Mahalos for your replies. No worries about the going out on a 'school night' -- I totally understand.

Saturday may be workable. I have an event going that night but may be able to bust out early. I'll get back to you on the specifics, but once I know for sure, I'll name a time and we'll see if it works for you.

P.S. TNTiki - Thanks again for the info -- punk bars are alright with me. I'll be on my guard. We'll see where tiki takes us...

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-09-30 10:21 ]

Oh, regarding The Foundation, I have not been so I cannot personally speak to it but as I understand it it is in not a particularly nice or safe part of town and is primarily a "punk" bar.

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-09-29 18:00 ]

The Foundation is not in a unsafe or "un nice" part of town. I've been going to Riverwest since I was 21 (I'm 34) and never had a problem. Yes, it does border on the inner city and low income neighborhoods and some unsavory characters wander in once in a while. It is no worse than what my friend and I experienced in Atlanta this past week. Not having been there before we found ourselves constantly badgered by panhandlers and probably gave up $6 total to get people away from us. Riverwest these days is a community of artists, hippies, and counter culture twnty and thirtysomethings. You'll be fine visiting there, just remember you're in the city...

While the "punk""hardcore" and "old school skater" crowd do come in once in a while it is a mellow place. Everyone gets along fine...

For more info, see my thread on Foundation...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8906&forum=1

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-09-30 10:53 ]

I used to live in Riverwest, just a few blocks from where The Foundation is located. Although I've never been inside, I can say that the neighborhood is not bad at all. There are a lot of starving-artist types that live there, and it is a fairly low-income area, but the worst I ever had to deal with was a few panhandlers, and the neighbors dog constantly shitting on my lawn.

Anyone know if Barrel Riders Pub is still there? Man, I did major damage to my liver in that place. Good times in Riverwest.

Barrel Riders closed about 3 or 4 years ago... Great name though next to the river... Hobbit reference...

S

Tiki Toa & finkdaddy,

Looks like I will be tied up until at least 10 pm on Saturday night but I imagine things might not get going until tnen, anyhoo. If that is too late, I totally understand.

Let me know if you still interested and we can make plans to meet up around 10:30 pm -- At Random.

T

Stentiki, called last night and left a message on your phone, things are still up in the air for me, call me if you get the chance.

Pages: 1 16 replies