Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

It's time for another Mai Tai video!

Pages: 1 13 replies

We're just back from the Wildwoods in New Jersey and we've got another Mai Tai video for you...

Check out our new "Mai Tai Video" section on our web-site at

http://www.maitaionline.com

(You'll need Quicktime to watch the videos)

We've written about the Wildwoods on several occasions in past issues of Mai Tai... now here's your chance to see the sites!

From our home base at the Kona Kai Motel in Wildwood Crest to the Hawaiian Rumble Pancake House and Mini Golf course in North Wildwood, our video travelogue features many of the Wildwoods' well preserved mid-century motels. There is a strong Polynesian Pop influence running through much of the architecture and signage in the Wildwoods (along with many other typically mid-century motifs)... just count the number of poolside plastic palm trees you'll spot in the video!

Hope you enjoy your virtual tour of the Wildwoods!

John T.
Mai Tai newsletter

[ Edited by: John in Montreal 2006-06-10 17:23 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:41 ]

Just fantastic, absolutely fantastic -- and would you be a sweetie and please tell me what that divine music was you had going in the background? My life will have no meaning until I can get that CD!

H

My life might have some stupid meaning, but I need to know about this music also. Fabulous video by the way.

S

The Wildwoods folks contatced us about doing Hukilau up there, and we have considered it! Need to go visit it for ourselves.

Hi again folks...

Here's the info on the musical selections:
-The first and last selections ('Petite' and 'Moonflowers') are from the LP "A Musical Touch of Faraway Places" by Warren Baker and his Orchestra.
-The second selection ('Yumba Marumba') is from the LP "Jun'gala" by Marty Wilson and his Orchestra.

And Swanky... Who in the Wildwoods contacted you about the Hukilau? Please email me about this...

John!

This video is amazing.

Excellent documentation / preservaion effort, and a nice virtual trip there for those a bit too far away to head over there for a weekend.

For all of you who haven't been convinced that Wildwood is a mandatory spot to visit by John's Mai Tai newsletter or by my own mention of Wildwood in TRT, then go watch this video: you'll be on the next plane!

John, the video was so wonderful. I must make a trip there soon! As Swanky mentioned we have been asked to hold Hukilau in Wildwood and it's definitely worth considering.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Man! That video rocks! The music is great, my non-TiKi better half even came in to listen, I had to break out my Jackie Gleason CD's and listen to some more "smokey, sexy jazz" last night and you know how one thing leads to another, Yep, fell asleep on the couch again!

It's been awhile since we've posted a Mai Tai video, so here's a new one for you.

Go to http://www.maitaionline.com and click over to the "Watch" page.

The new video is called "Hawaiian Isle - Miami 1966"

So actually, it's not really a new video but an old home movie. I've only shown this to a few people over the years but now here it is for all to see.

Enjoy!

TT

Loved the new video. I wasn't even born yet, but I wish I was. Keep em' coming.

G

Hey, wait. I was one-and-a-half in the summer of 1966. Sure that wasn't me? Come to think of it, that looks a lot like me. I'm calling my mom.

Great video. It has that timeless feel to it and such. You really were adventurous and the Tiki/Exotica culture took you by storm right away.

Good stuff.

Time for not one but two new Mai Tai videos!!!

Go on over to maitaionline.com and click on "WATCH" in the menu at the top of the page...

-See Mai Tai's main man in Toronto mix up a brand-new cocktail!
-Get a (rather dark) peek inside the great Hala Kahiki!

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 13 replies