Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Dames Aflame in ATL-Save the date: 7/31

Pages: 1 3 replies

L

Hi all!

Dames Aflame cordially invites you to Juke Joint a Go Go, A Universal Southern Charm Exhibition on Saturday July 31st, at a new gallery/performance art space in East Atlanta at 2040 Braeburn Cir.

Lotsa new faces and other, er, attributes! Home-made hot tamales and, uh, "hot tamales"! Live music by Lil' Mike Geier's Dirty Diddlers

$10 admission includes one drink ticket.
Doors open 9 pm

The converted church space is less than a mile from E. Atl. Village; directions can be found on our site.

Hope to see ya there!

Cheers!

Luna
http://www.damesaflame.com

[ Edited by: LunaLuxx on 2004-07-19 08:51 ]

L

Just bumpin' this up! Got some more enticing details (including directions toward end) from MadlyDeeply:

What part about “home-made hot tamales” don’t you people understand?? We have advertised homemade hot tamales for sale at the Dames Aflame Juke Joint a Go Go Show, A Universal Southern Charm Exhibition coming to East Atlanta this Saturday, 7/31. And folks are asking excitedly “What?? You mean you’re going to have actual tamales there to eat?” like there’s something else we could’ve meant by “home-made hot tamales”. I mean, I guess I did make it sound like some kinda double entendre as if to infer that the lovely ladies of Dames Aflame are not unlike hot tamales personified. But that’s really a lame analogy if you think too hard about it (like I’m obviously doing right now). For real, though, Big Mike is making a huge gigantic batch of his famous fresh tamales. So come hungry (and come early, lest they sell out and you stay a hungry chump). There’ll be freshly-squizzled lemonade plus beer/wine for sale, too.

In addition to the tamale stand, you’ll enjoy live music from Lil’ Mike Geier’s Dirty Diddlers (featuring guest vocalists Donatella Cacciofella and Howlin’ April Howell). And the atmosphere will be made mo’delic with the DJ stylings of master mixers Spaceboy and the Parasites (aka the fellas from Elevado). While yer ear (and yer rear) react to the soul sonic shakedown, your eyes will bug out as they take in the glorious works on display from three of my favorite artists: Nik Newton, Keith Barnett and Lisa Shinault. A luscious show of art it’s sure to be. Bring yer checkbook for to purchase some amazing one-of-a-kind pieces.

And then, of course, there’s the Dames and their showy show full of special guests like The Spectacular Solar Systers on flying trapeze and other def ‘n defying stunts. The provocative Knuckles bends genders, and the incomparable Tim Cordier demonstrates his mastery of multi-tasking. GinGin the Wild Woman whoops it up with surfin’ compadres Chico and Fab. And Luna Luxx puts “the ritz” on while taking “it” off. The flamboyant OohAh eats her very dress while the audacious Bijou bares damn near every blessed lil’ bit. MonkeyZuma will wreak go-go havoc with her new friend MonkeyLuLu. Madly Deeply and Gusto will knock all pride aside with their rousing tribute to Ancient Rome. And our lovely MC, Lady Guy, will raffle off fabulous prizes. Lordy Lordy Lordy! I’ve been told that Loretta Lynn may even drop in. Maybe she’ll fry up some of her famous Wesson Oil chicken to share with the audience!

Doors open at 9pm. $10 admission includes one free drink ticket. The venue is a quiet lil’ outta the way place next to an old cemetery (2040 Braeburn Circle). To get there, go south on Flat Shoals through East Atlanta Village and turn left onto Glenwood Ave. Less than a mile down Glenwood, you’ll come to the traffic light for Clifton Road. Turn Right onto Clifton til it ends at a three-way stop. Turn Left and follow the curve. Wait til you come to your SECOND Braeburn Circle (after a tiny cemetery) and then turn Left. The venue is an old stone church situated between a big cemetery and a two-story school building. Follow the flames!

See ya there!

Luna
http://www.damesaflame.com

[ Edited by: LunaLuxx on 2004-07-27 08:45 ]

K

Luna,

Just checked out your website. Oooh La La, Vavoooom, and Daaang. I live on Portland Ave in Ormewood Park, just down the street. I'll definately try to make it out.

Kanaka

Why thank you kindly, sir! Glad to hear you're gonna make it!

If we haven't met, come on up and introduce yourself! I know I'll be heading to the tamale stand as soon as I can post show; hopefully there'll be some left!

Pages: 1 3 replies