Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

One Small Step...

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

It was thirty five years ago today that - arguably - the second* most signifigant event of the 20th century occurred: man landed on the moon.

Is there an apporpriate drink?

• = first was December 10, 1902.
J
JTD posted on Tue, Jul 20, 2004 7:11 AM

I'll bite. Is #1.......Leon Marie-Joseph Clement Levavasseur patented the first V-8 engine in France on December 2, 1902?

-JTD

Ah, yes.

December 10, 1902....

The birthday of...:wink:

I gotta ponder the moon drink.

Something with Tang in it, perhaps?

Let's see, December 10, 1902... Elsa Burnett's Birthday, the opening of the Hokkaido Railway station, the rededication of Florida's Capitol building, the founders of the Red Cross received the Nobel Peace Prize, inventor Andrew Jackson Jr. patented his Eye Protectors for Chickens, and last but not least... the birthday of one Victor Bergeron, AKA Trader Vic.

T

On 2004-07-20 08:20, freddiefreelance wrote:
inventor Andrew Jackson Jr. patented his Eye Protectors for Chickens, the birthday of one Victor Bergeron, AKA Trader Vic.

Well, it's one of these or the other...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
tang!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 2004-07-20 01:34, tikibars wrote:
It was thirty five years ago today that - arguably - the second* most signifigant event of the 20th century occurred: man landed on the moon.

.....and I was but a fetus.

I've known a lot of guys who were born in the summer of 1969 and were named Neil or Michael, after the astronauts. Nobody named their kid Buzz.

I was six years old at the time and remember my parents taking us to house of some friends that evening who had the best television set. A lot of my relatives and my parents friends were there. They seemed awestruck, gathered around that television set.

For me it seemed quite normal and a little boring. I hadn't lived long enough to realize the sheer implausibility of landing a man on the moon. Didn't that sort of stuff happen every day? As children we accept the world as it is so readily. Our parents miracles are not our miracles.

Sabu

Moonlight Drive

1 oz Vodka
1 oz Rum
1 oz Sloe Gin
1 oz Malibu Coconut Rum
1/2 oz Amaretto Almond Liqueur
2 oz Orange Juice
3 oz Pineapple Juice

Pour alcohol into a shaker, and add juices. Shake and pour into a punch cup with ice. Add a cherry and a lemon twist, and serve.

Serve in: Punch Bowl

9.0 / 10

Sounded good to me.

Take your favorite tiki shot glass and fill it with good ole American MOONSHINE!!!

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jul 20, 2004 11:29 AM

I can't believe it wasn't the V-8 thing. Victor Bergeron...who he? :wink:

As for the drink commemorating the Moon landing, I recommend the Jet Pilot / Test Pilot as the early astronauts were all expiramental test pilots.

-JTD

[ Edited by: JTD on 2004-07-20 11:32 ]

Victor Bergeron be Trader Vic matey....

In Reno they used to serve a drink called the Moonshot. It came in a cool glass that looked like an upside down shotglass attached to a double old fashion glass and painted to look like the Lunar Orbiter.

I used to see them all the time in antique stores in Nevada.
According to Cocktailmaking,co.uk you make it this way:
2 shots gin
3 shots clam juice
dash tabasco sauce

Mix together with ice in a mixing glass and strain into a chilled cocktail glass
YUM!!!!
Mahalo,
Al

T

Al, these glasses rock.

Moon rock, that is!

Now, for the commemorative drink, a test pilot or jet pilot is also what I was thinking, but modified...

I like the suggestion of Tang, and of course Matt's idea of Moonshine!

Tang and moonshine substituted into a Test Pilot seems to be the drink for tonight.

Oh, and Cindy, one couple DID name their kid Buzz: Mr. and Mrs. Lightyear!
:wink:

My fave Apollo-age collectible is a set of 21 little brass coins given away at gas stations (or somewhere like that), each commemorating one of the Apollo, Gemini, or Mercury missions. You could get a little frame with die-cut holes for the coins to display them.

Mine's missing three, grrr....

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-07-21 10:26 ]

I thought that moon landing thing was a hoax?
The TV said that! (paraphrasing Homer Simpson)

Necessity being the mother of invention, I made a cocktail once using only the 2 ingredients I had: orange gatorade (similar to Tang) and JD. It was oddly satisfying. Sort of a poor man's Lynchburg Lemonade. And oh what it did for my electrolytes!

Pages: 1 15 replies