Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

new SHAG - Conga Girls at Rest (ON SALE NOW)

Pages: 1 27 replies

http://www.shagmart.com/pages/prcong.html

While browsing around I saw SHAG is releasing a new serigraph entitled "Conga Girls at Rest". Has two Tikis in it. $185 on sale now. Thought some of you may be interested...

M

I've always liked that image because of the Tiki's. Mmmmmmmmm.

Update: One's on the way to my house now. :D
No more eBay for a while. :(

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-07-20 15:37 ]

Thanks Bamboo Bob,

If not for all the bills this year, I'd jump at the chance!

Mahalo!

Sally and I had a discussion on this last night, in fact. The print is excellent and will be another sell out.
However, there is the matter of these other eight prints which sit unloved in tubes awaiting framing.

regarding the other eight prints. Do you want to offer any for sale. Please let me know. Send me a personal message.

aloha

On 2004-07-20 15:35, SallyandJay wrote:
Sally and I had a discussion on this last night, in fact. The print is excellent and will be another sell out.
However, there is the matter of these other eight prints which sit unloved in tubes awaiting framing.

I know how you feel. I've got three so far and have done them as they come, all the same way. I didn't want them to build up, since the framing alone can cost more than the print itself. It might make a good x-mas gift to eachother!

N

I have taught myself how to frame prints with archival materials by books and other refernces. Its not hard and it save a lot of dough in the long run. I like this print too, but I think I will wait for something that is more tiki.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-07-20 16:52 ]

Tis true......often the framing can cost more than the print itself. I, mself, am rather picky about the frames. As such, I'm having a hard time finding the right frame for a Shag print I have. I've been to most large scale framing stores i.e. Michaels, Frames USA, Aaron Brothers, etc. and they pretty much have all the same stuff. I'm actually considering contracting someone like Bamboo Ben, or Crazy Al to custom make something for me if they're so inclined. I'm sure it'll be more expensive, but i see the frame is an extension of the art piece itself. Hence a cheesy frame will make the print look cheesy.

That is a pretty cool print, though. I think I'll hold off on something a bit more tiki as well. Other than the Big Mug that recently came out, the chosen Shag serigraphs seem to be less on the tiki/exotica side. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They simply just don't melt in with a tiki atmosphere.

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-20 20:23 ]

On 2004-07-20 20:22, SON OF MOTHRA wrote:
Tis true......often the framing can cost more than the print itself. I, mself, am rather picky about the frames. As such, I'm having a hard time finding the right frame for a Shag print I have. I've been to most large scale framing stores i.e. Michaels, Frames USA, Aaron Brothers, etc. and they pretty much have all the same stuff. I'm actually considering contracting someone like Bamboo Ben, or Crazy Al to custom make something for me if they're so inclined. I'm sure it'll be more expensive, but i see the frame is an extension of the art piece itself. Hence a cheesy frame will make the print look cheesy.

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-20 20:23 ]

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with "Frame Fettish." I've always wanted to have the Shag prints framed just right, but I've searched and searched and cannot find a phone number or address.

I had to get Conga Girls to go along with Woman on Tiki.

Thanks Bob. Shagmart usually sends an e-mail when a new print comes out, but I had no clue about this one.

easy peasy.
http://www.framefetish.com

besides beautifully framing and matting your work, Link packages your finished work so it survives the shipping & manhandling by the UPS apes.

HOLY CRAP! That place is great. It may be exactly what I'm looking for and they appear to be fairly priced to boot. Thanks dogbytes!

Hello all
I had 2 Shag prints framed by Link at Frame Fetish and I must say he is the greatest. My wife wanted to take them to a local frame shop but once she saw the final framed prints from Frame Fetish she was glad we had Link do them. I just order the Shag Conga and it will be heading right over to him for framing when it arrives. I will take a few pics of my 2 pieces and post them later tonight.

K

At fetishframes it says typical frames for shag prints are around 275 each. What have yours costs and are they better prices for such a small print 13 x 24.

[ Edited by: Tiki Brad on 2004-07-21 11:15 ]

I would venture to say that the costs wouldn't be that different. Something like that is pure labor. There isn't much more as far as materials go unless you've got some giant mural, but the Shag prints are pretty much similar sizes in overall dimension.

I have had a serigraph of the original concept drawing of the Enchanted Tiki Room which is close to the same size dimensionally and it cost me about $175 from Frames USA. And all I really got was a bamboo frame, cheapo glass, and a 1 layer mat. That's it. It would have kicked it up another 25 to 30 bucks if I wanted a double mat. If you want the anti-glare glass you can close to double that price. I could easily spend the extra 100 bucks more on one of the frame set ups from Fetish Frames if they are indeed that cool. I need to actually put my hands on something and see it before I'm willing to fork over that kind of dough, though. Sometimes things photograph really well and end up being really lame once you see it first hand.

I'm taking my Big Mug print over there this weekend to get a quote. I'll post the results.

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-21 11:18 ]

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-21 11:19 ]

Order a frame from Monkeyman. Cut the mat yourself.

The 2 prints I had framed ran around $550. That was the Big Mug Print and the much larger Enchanted tikiroom print. Once you see the quality and attention to detail he frames things with it is worth every penny. He has a great assortment of frames and a rainbow of mat colors. I let him decide on the final colors and mat cutting and they turned out outstanding.I will post the 2 pics tonight.

I have to agree that Link is the coolest and nicest guy who does a very awsome job with his creative mat cuts and framing magic. He can do alot of cool things, but if you want a custom frame that has carvings in it such as Monkeyman or Chikitiki, then thats where you get those. I got the Enchanted Tiki Room framed by him and it was 300 bucks.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-07-21 12:16 ]

550 for both, or 550 a piece?

I

Total for Both

Here are the 2 prints

[ Edited by: ikittiki on 2004-07-22 00:48 ]

N

My Enchanted Tiki Room is framed exactly like yours.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:10 ]

N

Framefetish does not permanetly adhere the frame. He uses framers croners which just hold it in place without the use of any adhesive. The print is perfectly safe the way he frames it. It is a class a archival frame job.

#31 showed up at my doorstep yesterday. The print looks even better in person. It's Awesome!

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-07-24 15:08 ]

T

On 2004-07-22 00:44, ikittiki wrote:
Here are the 2 prints

[ Edited by: ikittiki on 2004-07-22 00:48 ]

WoW I love way the Shag mug print turned out, it is one of the few Shag prints I really have wanted and after seeing it in this framing my wanting just went up a notch.

I

I couldn't resist, and purchased the new Conga Girls at Rest print.

I already own Shag's Woman on Tiki print, and had the perfect place for it - hanging over my vintage record player.

After all, what could be better than spinning old exotica discs while looking at a cool print of a woman and tiki hanging overhead?

Well, I discovered what might be better. Spinning records, while looking at a Shag print that includes two women, tikis, and records on it!

Vern

M

ikitnrev,

I'd say the new Shag print is the PERFECT companion piece for your Woman on Tiki print.

But, don't forget to leave some room for the Grand Member Shag's.

Pages: 1 27 replies