Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Tiki Central logo
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2024 Witco - Drawing Done!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies

OGR

Thanks Mike...I did send him a message saying I was using them and hoped it was OK.

Wow that's wonderful Or Got Rum. I looked at every spec right down to the colored stones of the fireplace. Very cool.

Tiki Ano there was a photo of fb of Ken after a day of brushing burnt tikis. He was covered in soot. I hope you are able to clean it off!

Good job crew

Done:

IMG_4797IMG_4807

Cheers

Were you look'n in to a mirror while you carved ?

hang10tiki woo hoo! 3 days to go. I see everyone racing to the "I've got it finished lint".

OGR

Looks fantastic Hang 10 Thanks Wendy...I (weirdly) also like the way the fiberglass shade came out...my scan is slightly smaller and not real sharp...and Fonts and straight line design (the logo) is my nemesis

T

Or Got Rum, beautiful work, I also love all of the details.

Hang10, another fantastic piece. Send to San Diego!

Swap is looking great. I finally got to staining, it's drying now and will do some more later today or tomorrow. So far:

IMG_9935

(the sides are also stained, just doesn't look like it in photo). As of now it looks less 'authentic' witco as the stain looks too thin (and light for Witco) will wait for it to dry then take another look. Any thoughts?

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2024-07-18 11:39:05 ]

Lookin' sharp

Ano- very nice

(and I’m glad u kept all your toes)

hang10tiki and TikiAno strong work!
I plan to do the drawing Sunday morning about 8 am Pacific unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Tiki Ano the woodgrain showing through the stain is part of the beauty of your piece, don't hide that with more stain.

This is a good year and Sunday morning is going to be so much fun.

T

Thanks all. Or Got Rum, ha, funny you said it looked sharp, I was going to round off the edges, hmmm....

Hang10, I have most of my toes, I may have more but there was a lot of sawdust flying around.....

Wendy, I agree, I wire brushed it some more to add a little more texture, here is current look (with sharper edges). Will put a hanger on back, will post photos when 'officially' done.

IMG_9937

D

Sorry I’m a little late to the party. I just got back from a cruise. Here is the piece that I chose to replicate. I decided to do a “Sunken Witco” version of it. I carved the piece with a dremel, burned and stained it. I created a frame and backer board. Then I sculpted a couple of small barnacles. Last I added some aging and “moss.” I hope you like it. IMG_1016IMG_1238IMG_1239IMG_1240IMG_1241

[ Edited by Dray1218 on 2024-07-19 20:50:50 ]

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jul 19, 2024 9:48 PM

Mike, I wasn't done yet, but I am now.

I'd found this video from the Art Institute of Chicago highlighting a technique that Paul Gauguin used to tint his prints with watercolors and thought it was appropriate for this project.

Gauguin's Process | Making Wood-Block Prints
https://youtu.be/eoVT2UZ_drs?feature=shared&t=148

IMG_0750

This finished product

IMG_0751

Awesome David! So glad you were able to join us!
Hamo, love it! That looks like 9 participants this year. I've updated the list back on the last page - please look it over and make sure I'm not missing anyone

Dray, I'm at a loss for words. Not sure if I'm proud to inspire you or, ashamed to say that looks way better than mine & I was teaching the class. Keep me posted.

Will carve

WOW - Dray1218 and Hammo, wonderful tiki art for the SWAP.

Looking forward to seeing MadDogMike's page when he showcases all the submissions. He also adds them to the historical Swap page. It's so much fun to look back on them all.

Thank you MadDogMike and TikiCentral for coming back again.

Only hours left to submit. Keep them coming please.

Very cool Dray...very close to the one I put over the fireplace, except yours is real.

TikiAno, No I meant sharp, as in lookin very nice.

Dray n Hamo: awesome

Times almost up

Tock tick tock tick

1 hr and 46 min to go

😆

Drawing Results

Swap hang10tiki
hang10tiki
will swap with
Swap TikiAno
TikiAno (still need a "Glamor shot")

Swap Hamo
Hamo
will swap with
Swap Will carve
Will carve (I assume only one is included in the Swap)

In a 3-way swap, Swap anthonymaye
(@anthonymaye] (I assume only one is included in the Swap) Will send to Swap OGR
Or Got Rum? who will send to
Swap Dray1218
Dray1218 Who will send to anthonymaye

Swap danlovestikis
danlovestikis will swap with
Swap MadDogMike
MadDogMike

Here is the video of the drawing
https://youtu.be/9v4G8S-ZE6E

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-21 17:40:05 ]

Slight delay, I ran to Lowes for something LOL
OK -
Hang10Tiki and TikiAno will swap
Hamo and Will carve will swap
In a 3-way swap, AnthonyMaye will send to Or Got Rum?. OGR? will send to Dray1218. And Dray1218 will send to AnthonyMaye.
MadDogMike and DanLovesTikis will swap.

I'll come through later to pretty this up and post a video of the drawing. Contact your partner to get a shipping address, be sure to pack them appropriately so they arrive intact. I have several of Wendy's ceramic pieces but don't have one of her black velvets, I'm excited!

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-22 15:29:49 ]

Ok Ano again 👍🏼

I’ll ship tomorrow

Thanks again Mike, u rock da art swap world!!!

We have all swapped with each other more than once. I thought every piece was special and worth hoping for, but Dan said he was crossing his fingers to get MadDogMike's mug. Thrilled to have this mug.

Thank you MadDogMike for running another fun swap. I can't ever retire from them because they are such a fun way to connect.

Hugs and congratulations everyone, Wendy

T

Thanks Mad Dog once again, I'll try to take a "glamor shot" before shipping and will post.

So many great pieces in this Swap- Dray and Hamo, love the final updates, both are killer- and everyone involved - well, except for Hang10, is so lucky to have their swap partner.

Mad Dog, thanks for reaching out, I do love these Swaps! :)

OGR

Yes, Many Thanks to MDM and all involved with fantastic works...I appreciate being included... Looking forward to the next one

Dray, I can't send a message to you for some reason, I need your address to send you my piece. Message me...Thanks OGR

Will, Thank you for the compliment. I’m sure it’s a bit of a Monet (looks good from far). I really enjoy participating in these swaps every year. It always pushes me a bit outside my comfort zone.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jul 22, 2024 7:46 PM

Great work, all! Thanks for hosting another swap, Mike.

Ano- Sent out yesterday

Wow great work, everyone! Next year.

Yo Ano-

Got it 👍🏼

It up 👍🏼

IMG_5160

And thanks for the bonus piece

IMG_5157

[ Edited by hang10tiki on 2024-07-24 13:52:28 ]

WOW! That was quick!!!

Wendy, yours is on the way!

This is the fun part. MDM I hope yours is already there.

Look what showed up tonight!
20240724_215907

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-24 23:19:10 ]

I think that the app that did the drawing had a brain and chose to swap a Witco fountain painting (mine) for a Witco fountain mug (MadDogMike's).

Our swap mug has arrived. It was artfully packaged by Mike so it's perfect. Dan worked on a shelf in the tiki jungle room and now the mug is beautifully displayed.

Thank you, Mike, for another fun swap.

P1090435P1090437P1090468P1090472P1090473

PS when is the next one?

Beautifully displayed Wendy!
I tried posting last night but had technical difficulties

I opened my box to find Wendy's painting to be lovingly gift wrapped and accompanied by a big mamma jamma swizzle from Max's
image000000

So much vibrant and sparkly in person.
image000001

It will be a while before I can post a picture of it displayed. My art was if full and I need to rearrange everything to make more space. I also need to get a piece of UV glass to put over it as my Tiki space is outside in the patio. I don't want it to fade or get dusty!

(Duplicate Post)

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-27 12:47:05 ]

OGR

Look what came to my humble abode today... it's a great Tiki sculpt from Anthony Maye.... With art on the box that's really quite nice... with a swap this fun, it should be done twice...

WTC

That looks great OGR.
I took something down so I could put my new black velvet up.
20240726_180242

I can see parts of 4 pieces of Swap art in this pic.
20240726_180256

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-26 18:09:51 ]

I’m glad ya dig it Or Got Rum, Thanks Mike maddog for another great swap.

This is really the fun part, watching the swaps arrive. Thank you so much for your post MadDogMike. I love where you have placed the painting.

PS you caught the dreaded double posting virus!

Fresh off the line. Just arrived.

You guys have seen enough of my fronds on my balcony to know where this is taken.

Thanks Hamo, Looks great.

Thanks Mike, good job buddy.

Hamo pic

I like to keep track and make sure everyone's art makes it to their new homes. Here's what we have so far -

Will carve's was received
anthonymaye's was received
MadDogMike's was received
Or Got Rum?'s was received
danlovestikis's was received
hang10tiki's was received
Hamo's was received
TikiAno's was received
David Ray

If you have received art, please post it so I can keep track.
Thanks for another great Swap everyone

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-31 15:00:07 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-07-31 15:08:40 ]

T

I've been running around like a couple chickens with their heads cut off (plus or minus a couple of toes) and forgot to post!! I received Hang 10's amazing work VERY quickly- well packed of course with a motherload of swizzles, thank you Jon!!! (My daughter ran off with a few, I think she's making some cocktails in her tea set).

It's great to have swapped with others before, I'm enjoying my Hang10 collection (not all pictured)....

IMG_0010

IMG_0011

(after posting this just realized that Hang10's latest piece is laying down- I had walked into the tiki sunroom to take a photo of the Goof sculpt to send to Jon and didn't realize it was in the photo- see: earlier comment re: running around without a head or two).

What a great swap, let me know if anyone will be at Oasis, I live nearby and have a big job at the SD Zoo to work on Saturday AM but will be hopping back and forth throughout the weekend...

ALSO... if anyone wants the Witco pdf, pls message me your email and I can send it on over- happy to share as I think it's a pretty incredible resource and a very cool lil piece of history....

That's a really fun presentation Tiki Ano. I had forgotten hang10tikis Goof carving it was fun to see again along with the other pieces. I liked your hanging on his wall too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 148 replies