Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

TIKI GARDENS LP!!!

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

Well I rarely go on this section ...
It truely amazes me when Tiki People are arguing.. This is truly supposed to be positive and enjoyment environment
We lounge, We entertain, We acknowledge Unity in being positive partygoers.. Thanks You Otto again for those great words in your comments.
There is to much negative vibes at the present.. Lets all stay together and just enjoy .... Jon AKA (WEEZER)

[ Edited by: weezer2222 on 2002-10-01 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: weezer2222 on 2002-10-01 09:14 ]

T

Hey I need more friends like Otto, my "current" friends never give me mugs for FREE. Actually, they don't even collect mugs, or anything tiki. I'm all alone in my little tiki world :(

I think what we are witnessing here is just pure passion! On both sides of the argument, and isn't that what TRUE TIKI SPIRIT is all about? :)

btw, I say this with tounge in cheek

Wow! What's been happening while I was away!?
You kids been bad! Fatuhiva, go back to your room! And Otto, don't cuss at your brother!

I must be a Hippie in Tiki's clothing, or why do I always seem to understand both sides of the argument..?

On 2002-10-01 12:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow! What's been happening while I was away!?
You kids been bad! Fatuhiva, go back to your room! And Otto, don't cuss at your brother!

I must be a Hippie in Tiki's clothing, or why do I always seem to understand both sides of the argument..?

Amen to that!

Here, This'll help.

Good to have ya back bigbro.
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

On 2002-10-01 12:01, bigbrotiki wrote: I must be a Hippie in Tiki's clothing, or why do I always seem to understand both sides of the argument..?

Could just be a heavy Libra influence. :)

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2002-10-01 22:27 ]

...but I'm a Virgo! And I am a man, and I'm German! So to balance out that heavy combination of anal retentiveness, I needed to move to California. I think it helped, although I never became as much of a Hippie as my ex-wife.
(But my mom and my brother were both Libras.)

But enough talk about me. I'm just worried that Brian, who built my wonderful website for free and who has been a passionate and knowledgable Tiki afficionado/collector/dealer/artist and writer since the early days is soooo frustrated to behave in the way he did, and that Otto is sooo pissed.
I sincerely hope that you guys got your stuff of your chest, that you agree to disagree, and that no grudges are carried in Tikiland.

Hey Bigbrotiki! Your back! I will be sending out the two Johnny Sens mugs and "FOR FREE", and I am even going to pay postage! I have a nice "wicker" 1962 and a "smokey silver" 1967. OH and did I mention that it will be "FREE" to those who are complaining about people not doing stuff for FREE! Actually, I am doing this for Bigbro signing my book and sending it back to Mississippi. Just a way to say thank you. They will be in the mail this week Bigbro. Any comments on them will be appreciated.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Oct 2, 2002 7:21 PM

I sincerely hope that you guys got your stuff of your chest, that you agree to disagree, and that no grudges are carried in Tikiland.

Now that's the TIKI SPIRIT BigBro!

yawn

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-10-12 23:26 ]

fatuhiva wrote: "Anyway- now none of you will hear this record, and I have to say, I'm not upset by it. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to it now, and its soothing sounds are ever the more sweet knowing they will never fall on the ears of the unworthy." :lol:

I'm hearing it right now, chief, and if you are going to base your whole existence around it, then I pity you.

This sounds like music from a 1940's skating rink.

How much did you pay for the vinyl again?

Trader Woody
[Edited by hanford to fix the quote tags]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-10-22 19:38 ]

D

That is the perfect comparison! I couldn't put my finger on what this CD reminded me of! Roller skating rink in the 40's! That's so right on! :lol:

CY

This is Chris y, I own tikigardens.com. I don't follow tikiroom, but there's been alot going on with the TG lp and cd copies recently, my partner has kept me apprised and suggested I start following posts, so I have.
Ernie isn't 'breaking into his piggybank' to transfer the lp to cd; his son in law and I are financing this venture, although he's thrilled that there's an interest in his work 35 years after the fact. Dawntiki, you may be right, we might get our clocks cleaned in the process, but justifying copying the cd by saying 'it's no different than copying cassettes in 7th grade' is disingenuous and insulting.
Ernie has been logging in to your site for the past week because he can't believe there's still an interest in TG. It's your site, do what you want,but if you pirate the man's music why don't you think about paying him the courtesy of refraining from personal insults ('would I listen to it again anytime soon? Probably not.') regarding the lp. Dawntiki- tangaroa was only trying to do the right thing; and you? The price of everything and the value of nothing, and you're mean spirited at that. Chris y

D

Your totally right. This issue (Pirating) is way bigger than my opinion. I had no right to dismiss the issue or to make light of it. You are entitled to think I was being disingenuous and insulting or mean spirited. Though, that was not my intention. I still don't get the big hulla baloo, the CD was cute, I did listen to it 3 or 4 times. Is it something I HAVE to listen to everytime I turn on the CD player, the awnser is still, no. Would I slap down a 20 for it, nope. This is just my opinion that I am sharing with the good folks at Tiki Central. They can take it or leave it! I am sure you know what they say about opinions.... Thanks, Hanford for giving us a place to share our thoughts, ideas and expierences, no matter how unpopular or mean spirited they might be. Chris y best of luck to you in your future ventures.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-22 23:27 ]

I downloaded the MP3's. Come on guys, I hope this is not for listening pleasure. It definitly is not my favorite thing to put in the cd player. It is basically a tour of Tiki Gardens, but how many times can you listen to it? It would be different if you could stroll through the Gardens at the same time, but we all know thats not going to happen. I dont know what the fuss is about this. I think it is worth about the cost of the cd I burned. No more. Thats my asshole opinion today. Thanks for reading, any insults are welcome.

Chris Y & Ernie, I think you'd have a winner on your hands if you came out with a NEW Tiki Gardens CD. As you've no doubt seen, the interest is certainly there, but the original LP works only from a historical, not musical perspective.

Perhaps it could be music 'inspired by' Tiki Gardens, keeping some of the spoken word elements of the original LP. There must be a fair number of current bands who'd jump at the chance to be involved, and if you package the CD well (Perhaps a nice little booklet with lots of Tiki Gardens photos) I imagine it'll fly off the shelves.

Trader Woody

how about a tiki gardens rap?

& then an extended remix?

First it was the Tiki Bob mugs, now the Tiki Gardens LP. I think tiki stuff is as great as anyone else in here, but you guys get carried away! You make this big hubbub about a record, then when the copyright owners track you down and excitedly say "hey, all this excitement over OUR record?", you all say, "well actually, it wasn't that good." Then why make this big deal about it?!
Actually, I don't know why I'm surprised. People ALWAYS get booged down in stupid thing without thinking about WHY they became a member of whatever community they joined in the first place!
Ah, who cares. Why am I wasting my time typing this?

"I'm hearing it right now, chief, and if you are going to base your whole existence around it, then I pity you.

This sounds like music from a 1940's skating rink.

How much did you pay for the vinyl again? "

HAHAHA that's what I would have expected- falling on deaf ears dude..

On 2002-10-23 23:42, fatuhiva wrote:
HAHAHA that's what I would have expected- falling on deaf ears dude..

Ever read 'The Emporers New Clothes'?

Trader Woody

sorry bro, but if you don't see the tiki genius in the LP, you need to go back and reread your Tiki News back issues

On 2002-10-24 12:05, fatuhiva wrote:
you need to go back and reread your Tiki News back issues

Ah, I get it now! This is an allusion to Double Crown's posts. You see, I'm Trader Woody, and Double Crown is A DIFFERENT PERSON. You keep making weak little potshots at me on the basis of another person's posts!

Once again, go back and read through these Tiki Gardens posts, taking care to note down who said what. It might help your cause slightly.

Trader Woody

M

...but if you don't see the tiki genius in the LP,....

One at a time! I am still looking for the Pope in the pizza. :-?

Will this be on the final, is there extra credit? Does anyone heer wanna borrow my Dale Carnegie book? Can I be a Tiki genius? I scored 144. :P

midnite

M

I think the excitement about the Tiki Gardens Lp was the fact that the original vinyl is so rare that 99 % of the TC members had never heard it. Once they heard it though, it didn't hold up to the high expectations that they placed on it.
They weren't being fickle, they just didn't know what it really sounded like.
Now it is time for me to have a drink!!

Listen, I like a good fight just as much (or more so) than the next guy - or girl. But this is just silly!

I agree with MrSmiley 100%! And I encourage anyone who has not heard the TG record to listen to it. It is a little different? Yes.
Did it meet MY expectations? Well, I don't know - I did not know what to expect, but I liked it.
Did it sound like skating rink music? Well, growing up in the 70's - 80's, my roller skating rink played a lot of Journey, Air Supply, Forigener and disco! But the TG cd has an organ quality that is kind of...I don't know...organish?
I think most of us will have the same opinion. It's good. It's nice to listen to something that is so rare and holds interest with us. But it's not something we'll listen to every time we turn our stereo on (I think DawnTiki said that).

But by all means, judge for yourselves! Regardless of what we think of the sounds, it's nice to hear it for yourself and think back on happier times when family oriented road side attractions existed, like this great place once did.

And it's nice that we can all have our own opinions, isnt it?

TraderRick, Your point is well taken, but debate is always exciting. I think this displays our passion for our obsession!
Don't get discouraged...this is kinda like family. You'll learn that in time my friend.

As for Fatheadavia...I've got your unworthy deaf ears, right here..."dude".
Yes, "yawn"...thats what I say.

Going back into my corner...
-C.

snooooooooore

M

Coma...

Intubated, hydrated and fed, but in a perpetual vegetative state. Nonresponsive to all stimuli.

But still more fun than some "Tiki Gardens" LP! :D

And with each post, a little piece of the Tiki "Spirit" dies, and a bit more Tiki Hell takes its place.

midnite

On 2002-10-24 23:30, midnite_tiki wrote:
And with each post, a little piece of the Tiki "Spirit" dies, and a bit more Tiki Hell takes its place.

Wise words. No more shall I respond to Fatty's posts, no matter how inane or insulting.

Looking forward to the Tiki Heaven that is TikiStock 2002.

Trader Woody

F

TikiSTOCK??!?!

Geesh, and I thought I was just kidding about the hippy thing..

well, I guess I lead a VERY unhappy life

buwahahahaha

On 2002-10-24 14:34, midnite_tiki wrote:

...but if you don't see the tiki genius in the LP,....

One at a time! I am still looking for the Pope in the pizza. :-?

Will this be on the final, is there extra credit? Does anyone heer wanna borrow my Dale Carnegie book? Can I be a Tiki genius? I scored 144. :P

midnite

Look to the lower left if I recall, the pope is somwhere in there.
TG

M

Coma...

Intubated, hydrated and fed, but in a perpetual vegetative state. Nonresponsive to all stimuli.

But still more fun than some "Tiki Gardens" LP! :D

I have no knowledge by whom, or by what means said item was obtained, nor any recollection relating to the duplication, transcription, or re-recording thereof. Further, I, midnite_tiki, make no representations as to the authenticity of the item nor possession of said item at any time, for any purpose, in any form. No admission is made herein, no incriminations implied nor expressed. All rights reserved, no waiver of any Constitutional right is made, implied or expressed.

That said, I have listened to the "Tiki Gardens" cd.

"Tiki Gardens Polynesian Fantasy" is pretty cool. The rest?

Who took my skate key? Still, Chester the South American Wooly knows how to solo.

midnite

T

Tangaroa: Packaged arrived without incident. The crow flies at midnight. Grandma loves the date squares.

-Agent Tikifish

T

This forum is no longer safe for communication purposes. Our agents will contact you in the future.

Stop that!! This thread has gotten MUCH too silly!! :wink:

-Monty Python

Pages: 1 2 80 replies