Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

TM

Being addicted to movies, I thought it would be interesting to post the top 5 films I think everyone should see. Of course this is my opinion and would love to hear others. The goal here, of course, is to keep this thread going and hopefully turn people on to some cool movies that maybe they haven't seen or heard of (including me!)
I'm going to put a brief description after each entry and hope you will do the same. I'm keeping the list to 5, but could probably list 500. Here goes.....

1. "Out of the Past" - Possibly the best example of Film Noir and one of my favorite films of all time. Robert Mitchum stars with Kirk Douglas as the 'bad guy'.
  2. "Rashomon" - Akira Kurosawa's greatest movie. The story is of a crime that was committed and the multiple re-telling of the same event by different people. This movie has often been imitated ("Basic" being the most recent) but never duplicated.
  3. "Touch of Evil" - Orson Welles' second best film. The opening sequence alone is worth the rental fee! Great score by Henry Mancini. Great Noir thriller that is masterfully shot.
  4. "The Third Man" - Directed by Carol Reed with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles in his best performance. The cuckoo clock speech could be the best monologue in film history.
  5. "The Wild Bunch" - I love westerns and this is the best. Gritty, well acted, beautifully shot (directed by Sam Pekinpah). This film is the benchmark for violence in modern cinema.

Mugs, vintage, bars, hand carved poles, apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-08-06 08:18 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-08-06 08:19 ]

[ Edited by: tiki matt on 2004-08-06 09:14 ]

GT

Another cool topic, amigo!

First response:

Apocalypse Now

Blade Runner (either version is pretty good, but I prefer the director's cut)

The Graduate

Little Big Man

The original Planet of the Apes/Omega Man double feature, gotta have a little cheese, eh?

This list may change as the day goes by.

TM1

The Party
the blues brothers
Boogie Nights
Biloxi Blues
Animal House

D

Petulia (dir. Richard Lester)

Easy Rider (dir. Dennis Hopper)

You're a Big Boy Now(dir. Francis Ford Coppola)

Midnight Cowboy(dir. John Schlesinger)

Vertigo(dir. Alfred Hitchcock)

Favorite "famous" movie is "Lawrence of Arabia."

Favorite "non-famous" movie -- and one well worth rooting out -- is "Tension" (1949), a very tight, hard film noir about love, murder, adultery and revenge. Really excellent. Rarely seen.

Warren Quimby (Richard Basehart), a quiet, mild-mannered druggist, upon learning that his wife Claire (Audrey Totter) intends to leave him, begins to create a second identity to serve as an alibi when he kills his wife and her lover. Using this new identity, he meets and falls in love with Mary (Cyd Charisse) who gives him reason for not going through with his plans. However, when he visits the beach house where his wife and her lover Barney (Lloyd Gough) were staying, he finds that Barney has been murdered. Warren is now the chief suspect in the case and must prove his innocence. Tension is a taut thriller developed with noir motifs and style. Audrey Totter playing Claire, is the classic femme-fatale, cynical and cold, leading men to their doom. Warren is the weak man trapped in a pointless world. Director John Berry has filled the film with low-key images and well-developed characters: Warren's desperation leaves him no room for salvation, and his obsession with his wife's infidelity pushes him over the edge of reason. -- Linda Rasmussen, All Movie Guide

Very tough call, but

Fight Club
Withnail & I
The Usual Suspects
Se7en
The Wicker Man

are all ones I keep on watching again and again. (But how can I miss out Goodfellas, Big Lebowski, Taxi Driver, Apocolypse Now, Amelie, or even Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill!)

There are many 'greater' films but might only stand a viewing or two. There are loads out there to see and this thread should point out the cream of 'em.

Trader Woody

Clerks
Monty Python's Quest for Holy Grail
Caddyshack
Big Lebowski
Young Frankenstein

DZ

Tough one!

In no particular order:

--This Is Spinal Tap
--Monty Python & the Holy Grail
--The Princess Bride
--Braveheart
--2001: A Space Odyssey

Koyaanisqatsi
Dr. Strangelove
Harold and Maude
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Brazil (director's cut)

L

I can't narrow it down that far but i'm very impressed to see "Withnail and I" and "Little Big Man" on folks lists. Fantastic films.

wow..so many great choices. Have to agree on a few, Withnail and I, Apocalypse Now, Brazil. At this momment in time I would go for

American Grafitti
Big Wednesday
Two Lane Blacktop
Cry Baby
Pirates of the Caribbean
O Brother Where Art Thou
The Player

(ok I know it's 7 but there are so many fantastic films)

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-08-06 12:12 ]

J

In no particular order...

Rear Window (Hitchcock)
Citizen Kane (Welles)
Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock)
Laura (Preminger)
Chinatown (Polanski)

TB

1.) Aliens
2.) Star Wars
3.) The Princess Bride
4.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
5.) The Matrix

I can only offer totally subjective choices. They're not to everyone's tastes, naturally, since they're strictly reflective of my own sensibilities, though a couple would most likely have relatively wide appeal, especially for people who visit this site:

1. I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)
    Michael Landon as the JD battling a lot more than a case of ance. It was my favorite as a kid and remains so for reasons not even I fully understand, though I do appreciate the moody photography and score by Paul Dunlap.

2. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957)
    This film noir master piece starring Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster has one of the wittiest screenplays of all time. Favorite line: "The cat's in the bag, the bag's in the river." Highly recommended to just about anybody who likes movies.

3. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)
    Along with "White Heat," also starring James Cagney, one of the greatest gangster films in history. "Whaddya hear, whaddya say?" Quintessential viewing and again, will appease a wide variety of tastes due to superior high quality of filmmaking.

4. GUYS AND DOLLS (1955)
    Brando sings! My favorite Sinatra flick too. So colorful and vibrant, it just puts me in a good mood whenever I see it. Damon Runyon remains one of my favorite writers, too.

5. BATMAN (1966)
    The movie of my favorite TV show. Just showed it to a sold out crowd last night. Nothing comes closer to expressing my world view.

a few others (you said 5, but I have about a 1,000 favorites:)

GOLDFINGER (1963 - I know, I know, it's everyone else's favortie Bond, too)

FASTER PUSSYCAT KILL! KILL! (1966- three reasons: Tura! Tura! Tura! Also love Russ Meyer's UP!)

KING CREOLE (1958), BLUE HAWAII (1961) and VIVA LAS VEGAS (1964) - my three favorite Elvis flicks, the best of the Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful, respectively

OCEAN'S 11 (1960) - the Rat Pack cavorting in Classic Vegas, who cares if the plot sucks? The last scene is a beut, though.

FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956) - the most visually arresting sci fi flick ever

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) - their funniest, and still the best horror spoof ever

THE WILD BUNCH (1969) - Peckinpah's masterpiece, the greatest Western ever, along with Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1958) and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1964) - Harryhausen's best, though they're all great

THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954), REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955) and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US (1956), all coming out Oct 5 on DVD....

then there's BLUE VELVET, Woo's THE KILLER, INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED UP ZOMBIES, RE-ANIMATOR, Romero's DEAD trilogy (the fourth one is on the way!), 40s seminal noirs CRISS CROSS and THE KILLERS, and...

aw man, forget it, there's just too damn many....

T

*On 2004-08-06 10:24, Satan's Sin wrote:*Favorite "non-famous" movie -- and one well worth rooting out -- is "Tension" (1949), a very tight, hard film noir about love, murder, adultery and revenge. Really excellent. Rarely seen.

They just showed "Tension" on TCM (last month was "Crime Wave" month). I taped it - it's a keeper. Another great rare noir they showed: "Border Incident" starring Ricardo Montalban and directed by Anthony Mann. They ran several noir films directed by Mann last month, including "Desperate" and "Railroaded!".

http://www.filmmonthly.com/Noir/Articles/BorderIncident/BorderIncident.html

My top 5 is mainly based on movies that had the biggest impact on me on first viewing, and I can watch them over and over again:

American Graffitti (George Lucas) - it started my interest in the music, clothes, cars, etc. of the 50s when I saw it at the drive-in in 1973

2001 (Stanley Kubrick) - the most stylish movie in history

Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder) - the sexiest movie in history

Quadrophenia (Frank Roddam) - I was just a Who fan with long hair going to see this at the theatre in 1979. I came out totally obsessed with the mod movement and soon after I cut my hair, bought a Lambretta, and started wearing old suits.

The Grapes of Wrath (John Ford) - my favorite movie about a time in US history and about overcoming adversity.

TM

Keep them coming, I'm loading up my Netflix queue!!!

D

Here's 5 that I think everyone should see, but only some do:

1. Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967)
    This is my favorite New Wave/noir film ever. Alain Delon redefines "cool."

2. Underground (Emir Kusturica, 1995)
    The best film I've seen so far about the collapse of Eastern European Communism. And it has interesting post-modern things to say about memory, heroism, nationality and ideology.

3. The Criminal Life of Archibaldo De La Cruz (Luis Buñuel, 1962)
    Of course, everyone should see ALL of Buñuel's films, but this one is both accessible and obscure. And funny as hell.

4. The Cockettes (Bill Weber and Dave Weissman, 2002)
    This is getting pretty obscure, since I don't think it ever got serious distribution, but it's a great documentary that cuts through a lot of the fog of marketing and politics around San Francisco's gay culture in the 1960s and 1970s.

5. Sonatine (Kitano "Beat" Takeshi, 1993)
    Takeshi's "Hana-bi (Fireworks)" is the one that really got him noticed in U.S. art house circles, but I think "Sonatine" best captures his blend of Yakuza violence and absurd, slapstick humor.

Also, as far as "famous" movies, everybody needs to see M (Fritz Lang, 1931), Nosferatu (F. W. Murnau, 1922), Gummo (Harmony Korine, 1997), Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983), Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch, 1995), Slacker (Richard Linklater, 1991), The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1961) and The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960) [Has tiki bar scene!]

Hey Jab, FYI - I'm showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY for the first time during my noir fest this year, the link for which I've already posted elswhere around these parts. Its'a great flick though Stanwyck doesn't really do it for me. I prefer Rita Hayworth and Gene Tierney, femme fatale-wise.I'd follow them into Hell for sure.

GT

Thanks for mentioning Guys and Dolls, great colors in it, as well.

Gotta toss out a few more:

Choose Me

Chilly Scenes of Winter

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The Hunger

Yellow Submarine/Wizards/Fantasia

T
thejab posted on Fri, Aug 6, 2004 2:41 PM

On 2004-08-06 14:31, AquaZombie wrote:
Hey Jab, FYI - I'm showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY for the first time during my noir fest this year, the link for which I've already posted elswhere around these parts. Its'a great flick though Stanwyck doesn't really do it for me. I prefer Rita Hayworth and Gene Tierney, femme fatale-wise.I'd follow them into Hell for sure.

Like Fred MacMurray's character, I have a weakness for anklets! I would follow almost any woman into hell if she were wearing an anklet.

D

Neat topic!
In no particular order:
The Outlaw Josey Wales-some of the best lines ever,and Clint at his squinty best.

Citizen Kane-no explanation needed.

Jaws-chewing good fun!

Casablanca-no explanation needed

The Money Pit-a little bit goofy,but some great sight gags and the classic line "You are so much less attractive to me when I'm sober"-"Thank goodness it's not that often".

No particular order

Once Upon A Time In The West (Only 15 Pages of dialogue! The scenery and the sounds are major "players". Almost more so than the actors.)

Withnail and I ( I lived by this movie for years, and it made me fall in love with England even more than I was )

Brazil (Brilliant simply brilliant)

Adventures Of Baron Von Munchhausen ( Possibly the top of the list . Theres still some room in this world for cucumber trees. )

Saving Private Ryan ( The most accurate representation of war on film yet.Just besting A Bridge Too Far, and Empire of The Sun )

Just outside the top 5 list, anything Monty Python, Terry Gilliam, JABBERWOCKY, THRONE OF BLOOD, LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY, Farenheit 911, and The Stealing of an Election.

TG

T
  1. Crossroads
  2. Glitter
  3. Showgirls
  4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  5. Gigli

This list would probably change if I had more time to think about it. But for now, it's a pretty good list, even though I couldn't stick to just five:

North By Northwest (Hitchcock)
Westside Story
L.A. Confidential
Endless Summer
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Highlander
Room With A View
My Neighbor Totoro

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-08-06 15:22 ]

My five favorite CHEESY movies:

Valley of the Dolls
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Airport '77
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Soylent Green

H

I don't think that these are the five best movies ever, but they are my five favorites:

Box of Moonlight (Tom DiCillo, 1996)
A sweet, little movie, far from perfect, but wonderful. A lot of parallels between the relationship between Al Fountain & The Kid and my little brother & I. By far my favorite movie, and one of my favorite soundtracks, to boot. I watch it regularly (though the DVD is letterboxed instead of being 16x9 enhanced, darnit!).

Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson for Walt Disney, 1964)
A representation of everything that Disney was doing right, all in one marvelously entertaining film. Amazing matte artwork by Peter Ellenshaw, catchy and touching music by the Sherman brothers, child actors you don't want to strangle, animated sequences that don't distract or detract from the live action, great comedy from Ed Wynn and Dick Van Dyke, and the enchanting presence and voice of Julie Andrews. An engrossing, well executed (and nice & long) fantasy.

Evil Dead 2 (Sam Raimi, 1987)
If you haven't seen this movie, you have to. Now. Tonight. Go rent it. Have a beer before you watch it. Let yourself giggle. It's okay. You don't need (or even want) to see the first Evil Dead to appreciate it, it stands on its own. If given the opportunity, I would gladly have Bruce Campbell's baby. Groovy.

The Three Caballeros (Norman Ferguson, for Walt Disney, 1944
The Disney Studios went through a very rough period during World War II--in keeping with the many sacrifices made all over the country in those years, the studio was essentially taken over by the military to produce propaganda & training films, and work on full-length features was not possible. The studio turned to packaged films made up of short animated sequences to start to make money again. The US Government also enlisted Disney's help in spreading goodwill south of the US border. The first South American travelogue produced by Disney was called "Saludos Amigos," this is the second one. I could go on and on about all the aspects of this movie that make it a must-see (film of South America & Mexico, Donald Duck at his best, lovely ladies in 40s swimwear, artwork by Mary Blair, "The Coldblooded Penguin," fantastic music), but I'll highlight my favorite: a stunningly gorgeous animated sequence, much in the style of Fantasia, to Bing Crosby singing "Baia."

The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers, 1998)
There's been plenty of discussion about the Big Lebowski here before, so I won't belabor it here, except to point out that this film (besides having the great advantage of being written by the exceedingly clever Coen brothers) has a number of actors that are all capable of excellence, and all of them deliver uncommonly good performances here: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman, John Turturro, Sam Elliot, and last but not least, a surprisingly different performance by Jeff Bridges. Flea being in it (I've had a bit of a crush for some years now) is just frosting.

In no particular order:

The Big Labowski
Blade Runner
Aliens
LOR trilogy
Unforgiven

also rans:

Sexy Beast
Blood of Heroes
Endless Summer
Ran
Rocky
Die Hard
Good Fellas

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-06 16:30 ]

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-06 16:30 ]

S

"March Of The Wooden Soldiers" - Laurel & Hardy)

"La Vacance De Monsieur Hulot" ("Mr. Hulot's Holiday") - Jacques Tati

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

"Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad"

"A Hard Day's Night"

Also any Hitchcock and all Universal horror flicks.

M

My choices are based on my favorite films to watch over & over. I know I listed 6, but I had no choice:

Alien
Desperado
Young Frankenstein
Three Amigos
A Fish Called Wanda
The Party

Spy-tiki, good call on "A Hard Days Night."

1. The Goonies
  2. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  3. Willy Wonka
  4. O Brother, where art thou
  5. Holy Grail
  6. Donovans Reef

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-08-06 17:22 ]

M

I don't think I can limit it to five, but I've seen every movie I would put in my top ten on these pages so far EXCEPT my number one:

RUSHMORE

Otherwise, the rest of the list is filled with the usual, especiallly anything with the words "Coen" or "Gilliam" in the credits.

Favorite silly movies:

The Never-ending Story
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
The Goonies
The Princess Bride
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
101 Dalmatians(1961)

*Side note - I love the character "Cruella" and have an ex vogue model Aunt who looks just like her, but is super nice. She actually has a complex about it, she thinks people will think she's cruel because of the resemblance.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-08-06 17:30 ]

Damn Flounder, you're too cool for this school.

T

weirdly enough, i just had this conversation with king kukulele just the other week. and if you ever want to talk movies, he is the man.

as for my personal favorites...well like everyone else, i have many! limiting it to just 5 is near impossible. and i have so many guilty pleasures too. okay here goes nothing:

BLACK BELT JONES 1974 this is the ultimate blaxploitation movie in my opinion (well, actually its a tough call because Truck Turner is hard to beat with its pimp funeral and all). jim kelly is one karate badass who hoots and hollars while he throws punches at the italian mafia. there are so many inconsitencies in the plot that is makes it hilarious. and trust me, after watching the first 5 minutes with jim kelly beating up chinese henchmen in a parking lot to the tune of dennis coffey's black belt jones theme with spectactular 70's camera work, YOU WILL succumb to the powers of jim kelly too. shhhhhyeah.

RUN LOLA RUN 1999 franka potente is my hero. i went through a red phase after seeing this movie. great soundtrack. and i always enjoy the sound effect they used in the movie when she drops the gun in the street.

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION how can you not like this movie? the ending is so hopeful. whenever it is on, i always get sucked in to watching the entire thing.

YOJIMBO kurosawa's finest piece in my opinion. great to watch in an older theatre with organ...like the stanford. (not too many still exist!)

uh-oh...only one more spot....damn i hate these things! er....eh.....guess i'll have to go with a hitchcock to round it out.

REAR WINDOW this is a tough one to choose...because i reeeally like vertigo as well. but i dig raymond burr, and the whole voyueristic element.

i know in 5 minutes i will be hitting my head against the wall for leaving off some movie....but these are my picks as of august 6th, 2004 at 4:58pm.

mahalo :)

S

While at first wondering how any films made in the last decade or so could be anyone's favorites I thought it might be interesting to include our ages (I'm 47) along with the films. Something about the films you see, when, and their impact on our impressionable minds. So you can forgive someone for saying Terminator 3 or something if they're only 12.

Plus I want to add Black Sunday because it still gives me the creeps.

i LOVE threads like this - i'm always looking for great new (old) movies to check out - thanks for starting the the thread tiki-matt

GT

Martiki!

I feel so bad for forgetting Rushmore. It is 10/10 good.

I gotta add Breaking Away, Kingpin, and Happy Gilmore, Bend It Like Beckham - sports movies.

Martiki, you are so right about Rushmore!
Here's mine (no particular order):
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Metropolis
-Singin' In the Rain
-Rushmore
-Duck Soup

Others I just can't ignore: Gone With the Wind, Gilda, My Fair Lady, Flash Gordon (1980-for the cheese factor), Midnight, The King and I, Sunset Blvd ("They didn't need dialogue, they had faces!"), Footlight Parade, Camille 2000, Wonder Man, The Gay Divorcee, Orlando, The Sound of Music, The Fifth Element, Babe....OK, I'll stop now.

The top 5:

Dr. Stranglove

Alphaville

The Great Escape

Paths of Glory

Bucket of Blood (Roger Corman; 1 year before and essentially the same plot as the original Little Shop of Horrors)

and while I'm at it:
Throne of Blood
Rashomon
Tampopo
Johnny Stecchino
The Party
Sexy Beast
La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928, Dreyer)
Vampyr
Run Lola Run

Yeah, like anyone can just name 5

-Z

Oh Crap, I almost forgot Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

(That was actually the film my wife and I saw on our 1st date if you can believe it.)

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-08-06 21:40 ]

I based my selections on movies that I can watch over and over again and never get tired of them. When I'm flipping the channels and come across one of these flicks, I will always stop to watch it.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

"'cuse me while I whip this out"

"ummmm, brains" The quintessencial zombie movie, with a great ending!

"Some men are Baptists....others are Catholics....my father was an Oldsmobile man."

At the moment
let's saaayy by accent? haha
French:
Amelie
Cleo de 5 a 7
Japanese:
High and Low
Wild Zero (Guitar Wolf RULES!)
British:
Funny Bones (I love Lee Evans)
Room with a View
Orlando
American:
Bubba Ho-tep
Kiss me Deadly
Mildred Pierce
Teenage tupelo
Kill Bill (both volumes)
Oh Brother where art thou
Musical:
South Pacific
Flower Drum Song
On the Bandwagon (just for the big dance number at the end)
King Creole (and GI blues because I first watched elvis movies with my dad and we had the record for GI blues)
Buster Keaton in any shape or form
Troma!

that is the absolute most I can narrow it down..

TM

Otherwise, the rest of the list is filled with the usual, especiallly anything with the words "Coen" or "Gilliam" in the credits.

Also anything with "Anderson" in the credits (P.T. or Wes)

i LOVE threads like this - i'm always looking for great new (old) movies to check out - thanks for starting the the thread tiki-matt

Your welcome! I thought it would be fun and enlightening. I've seen most of the films mentioned, but there are a few I haven't and will definately be renting. The point was to gear the lists toward the more obscure, older, foreign, etc. films and I think there has been an amazing response!

BTW, just got back from seeing "Collateral" and can honestly say that this and "Ali" are the only two Michael Mann films that haven't blown me away (Didn't see "Mohicans"). It looked good, Jamie Fox was great, but the story kinda sucked - way, way, way too unbelievable. Go rent "Thief","Manhunter","Heat","The Insider" or the TV Series "Crime Story" for Mann at his best...

Mugs, vintage, bars, hand carved poles, apparel and more!
Everything Tiki at: http://www.bartiki.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-08-06 23:15 ]

On 2004-08-06 09:20, tiki mick wrote:
The Party
the blues brothers
Boogie Nights
Biloxi Blues
Animal House

Yeah! The Party! I had forgotten...but that movie is a riot...classic Peter Sellers. My sides ache when I watch it! Thanks for remembering that one Tiki Mick!

Also, for me:
Life of Brian
Dr. Zhivago (had a crush on Julie Christie)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Eraserhead

Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick)
My Life as a Dog (Lasse Hallstrom)
Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman)
Waiting for Guffman (Christopher Guest)
City Lights (Charlie Chaplin)

Oh, and people still don't yet believe this, but "Eyes Wide Shut" will eventually be remembered not only as one of the best Kubrick films, but as one of the greatest films of its time (long, LONG after Quentin Tarrantino is forgotten).

A

Clockwork Orange
"Come with uncle alex. its an invite" Alex Delage

5 Summer Stories
"But, you can't be too cool" Gerry Lopez

Enter the Dragon
"When defeat comes I won't care, because I'll be too busy looking good". Williams

True Romance
"I haven't killed anybody since 1985" Christopher Walken

Kelly's Heros
"I'm just having a little wine and cheese soaking a few rays". Oddball

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-08-06 23:45 ]

1).Taxi Driver (Scorsese 1976)
2).Midnight Cowboy (Schlesinger 1969)
3).Blue Velvet (Lynch 1986)
4).Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick 1965)
5).Straw Dogs (Peckinpah 1971)

Pages: 1 2 94 replies