Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Enchanted Tiki Room display model !!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

Hey all

I don't think this has been discussed before, but I am so Happy right now......

At Disneyland tonight I went and picked up a "non-shag" tiki room mug and saw The Tiki Room Model. It is so cool. After I was done bowing and crying, I gave the salesgirl the famous Homer Simpsons line: "All I have is two questions....how much is it and give it to me."

I was shocked to learn it was only $150. Needless to say I then lugged a HUGE box thru disneyland, on the tram, out to the car, and smiled all the way home.

Here are some really dark, crappy pictures of it

Damn, $150? What a score!!! That thing is awesome!

D

How absolutely cool is that!? Looks to be a very wise purchase-I bet it is completely over the top in the dark-fun!

B
BaronV posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2004 9:36 AM

Anyone out there know if Disney going to make/sell more of these or is this a "sold out before i even heard about it" limited edition?

S

I have trouble using "only" and "$150" in the same sentence, but that thing looks great! Did you happen to notice if there were two sizes? I seem to remember something about that in a previous thread.

So the mugs are back, huh? Might be time for a trip to D-land.

Very very VERY cool!!! Great going!

Z

Best. Disney. Tiki. Collectible. Ever.

Was there any competition for it, others crying and suffering injuries from not producing their wallets fast enough?

Does anyone know how to get one (even not a display model) if you can't get to the park in person?

Words cannot describe how cool that model is! I need a drink!

I want one! By "model" does this mean it was a molded plastic kit you build and paint. I could dig that. I'm a model freak from way back. But if it comes pre-assembled as a finished product I have no problem with that either. Great score man.

I guess Model was maybe the wrong word to use. Its all made from Resin and comes in one big piece.

They have them available in the Bazzar across from the Tiki Room, in Disneyanna, and in the Big Store in Downtown disney.

The guy told me they are not numbered, not limited edition, but there in not set time of how long they will be for sale. He said they have only been out a week, and they have sold alot. he said they could stop making them next week or make them forever...nobody knows.

If you go and buy one, take a friend, and think about using the 15 minute parking. The box is huge and heavy.

The little tikis are magnetic and each one has some sort of moving piece..Peles fire on her head lights up.

I wish it had music, or the "life" came down from the Tree, but I'm sure it would have been more money.

It rocks

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2004-08-08 00:26 ]

V
virani posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2004 2:28 AM

God, can someone take one for me and keep it until I come to pick it ??

P

You Disney collectors make me want to puke... errr... I mean, daaaaamn, that's nice!

(actually, both...)

TR

On 2004-08-08 00:25, ErichTroudt wrote:

They have them available in the Bazzar across from the Tiki Room, in Disneyanna, and in the Big Store in Downtown disney.

If you go and buy one, take a friend, and think about using the 15 minute parking. The box is huge and heavy.

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2004-08-08 00:26 ]

I just came back from a recon of D-land. The Big Store at Downtown Disney just sold out before I got there, so the sales lady told me. So off to Main Street I went. There it was on the back wall shelf at Disneyana. I was told that they had "several" so I got me one. Using my "assholder" discount got me a few bucks off. Not sure how many the Bazaar has left though. Maybe a person could buy one over the phone with a credit card and have them ship it to you.
Right you are about the box size. Its about a 3'x3x'3'cube. How much is 13.57 kg? I had to carry it from D-land main street to the downtown disney parking lot. It got heavy. I should have brought Baxdog. He could have carried one or two in each arm. Believe me I was ready to jump into the Rain Forest Cafe waterfall by the time I reached it. For what its worth the box had printed on it #166 of 300.
Aloha.

[ Edited by: tiki rider on 2004-08-08 16:21 ]

So THAT'S what folks have been talking about in the Tiki Room MUG thread!

That must be the surprise that Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily mentioned they were working on, the "quality merchandise" I talked about earlier...

And what a surprise it is! No question this is their work, the work of people in the know!

Congrats to a job well done, this will replace the nativity set under every Tiki lover's Christmas tree!

Right you are bigbro. Tiki Rider - next time rent a stroller to stick it in and wheel it to the gate. That's why they call it "The Magic Kingdom"...there's no problem too big or too small that can't be solved with the wave of a credit card.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-08-08 19:06 ]

Too cool! I'm pissed ... The Disney shops didn't even have any tiki mugs when I went in June, much less a "Tiki Room" model!

COOOOOOL!!!

--Please excuse this temporary change of subject--
I collect little houses and do a North Pole village at Christmas time. I have a Starbucks, a UFO landing site and an airplane hangar in the village as well as the other traditional christmassy stuff...an Enchanted Tiki Room would be PERFECT!!!!

I've written Department 56 and asked them to do a Tiki Establishment as part of their "Original Snow Village" collection(lots of 50's stuff), but I don't really see it happening.
I wonder if they'd have it at Disney World?(I'll be in Florida for Hukilau)

Sorry about the sidetrack...thanks for posting that!!!
-Tikiwahine

Z

Here's the latest scoop on the Enchanted Tiki Room 3-D model. After a nearly sleepless night, I decided I had to try to order one. I called the Disneyana Shoppe on Main Street, and a very patient cast member named Linda answered my questions.

This is a "park exclusive" piece.
It's not a limited edition, but an "open edition", the numbers on the box refer to each piece of the first 300 the buyers ordered from the manufacturer. It's on a computerized replenishment system from their warehouse, so they've been getting in three, selling three, etc. They've been back in stock as quickly as two days.
They sell them at the Adventureland Bazaar, Disneyana Shoppe, World of Disney (the mega-store at Downtown Disney), and at Off The Page at California Adventure.
The best bet is to use Disneyland's mail-order service, "Disneyland Delivers," and they will call all the park stores for you to locate one, and then they'll put it on hold for you to pick it up, or ship it out. They do charge a small fortune to ship it, as you're limited to the choice of 4-day certified, and it's in a gi-normous box.

The woman on the Disneyland Delivers line said that this was the first of the "resin figurines" ("figurine" was the last word that I would have chosen!) that depicts an attraction, and that they don't know if other attractions will be created, however,"There's a lot of talk."

I had to indulge and order one, as my earliest tiki memories started in Adventureland. If Disney starts manfacturing Jungle Cruise pool accessories, then I'll need a second job! Can't you just imagine a"Congo Queen" boat floating in the bathtub?

Thanks for all the info.

If Disney creates the Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, or the Pirates of the Caribbean "figurines", I'll be working that second job right along side of you.

The bummer part is my pele figure battery broke instantly as I took it out of the box. It had a little tab for the battery that had to be removed. When I removed it, the whole damn thing came out. It has to be re-soldered, but it is tiny. I may call Disneyana and find out what they can do for me.

JT

Thanks for the inside info!

You definitely have to be careful removing these figure from the packaging.

I once bought a 24" Captain Hook Figure that twisted ever so slighly as I was removing it from the custom-cut styrofoam packaging...next thing I knew there was a nasty split in his leg underneath the "skirt". Still stands-up, but luckily there are no earthquakes in Florida.

I love that the first attraction "figurine" they chose to do was of the Tiki Room. I have been worried that the "refurbishment" of the Tiki Room might really mean "reinterpretation" so seeing this model gives me heart that they realize what they already have there.

T

That ROCKS! Can't wait to get my hands on one- I've waited for something like this for a very long time- woohooo :D

T

On 2004-08-08 16:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

That must be the surprise that Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily mentioned they were working on, the "quality merchandise" I talked about earlier...

And what a surprise it is! No question this is their work, the work of people in the know!

Sorry to be a big "know-it-all" Sven, but this piece is actually the work of my friend (and former boss at W.D.I.) Larry Nikolai. He is quite the talented sculptor, he just showed me the similar sized Haunted Mansion "big-fig" today - which does have audio sound-bites as part of it. Those should be available in October....

I would have mentioned this piece earlier, but I was sworn to secrecy....!

R

You da man, Erich -- a man after my own tiki heart! I'm jealous as hell...

I hope Disney keeps offering those things. I'd like to have one of 'em myself. Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

I got an email from Larry Nikolai today confirming that, yes, he designed it, and yes, it is ONLY available and Disneyland Resort (Anaheim only). It is zazz for sure.

~Hanford

On 2004-08-11 15:18, Tangaroa wrote:
he just showed me the similar sized Haunted Mansion "big-fig" today - which does have audio sound-bites as part of it. Those should be available in October....

You're killing me here. I just about figured out how to scrape up the $$$ for the Tiki Room model. How am I gonna do the same for the Mansion? My wife's gonna shoot me.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-08-12 06:16 ]

That's COOL! I can't wait for my socal pass to kick in so I can go see it in person! maybe buy too, if the tikis continue to sell...

On 2004-08-12 06:13, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

You're killing me here. I just about figured out how to scrape up the $$$ for the Tiki Room model. How am I gonna do the same for the Mansion? My wife's gonna shoot me.

Don't feel bad - even Larry is going to have to pay for his Tiki Room "big fig" - they put it on sale earlier than he thought they would! And I'm gonna have to cough up the $150 (hopefully without MY wife killing me too) before all the other Tiki maniacs buy them up (There are supposedly a run of about 500 of them).
Larry e-mailed me this morning to clarify -
"Just so you know- I did not sculpt these items. I designed them and art-directed them, but they are all sculpted and painted in China."

Man - the Haunted Mansion one is gonna be cool.... The floating light in the upper windows, and sound effects when you push the tombstones.... I can't wait!

"The best bet is to use Disneyland's mail-order service, "Disneyland Delivers," and they will call all the park stores for you to locate one, and then they'll put it on hold for you to pick it up, or ship it out. They do charge a small fortune to ship it, as you're limited to the choice of 4-day certified, and it's in a gi-normous box. "

For those who are interested, the shipping is $21 or so, or about the price of a half a tank of gas. The phone number to call is:
1-800-362-4533. They sell out fast, but get them in pretty quick or so they say. Thanks for the heads up on Disneyland Delivers!

V

yeah right, but can they send this huge stuff to Europe ???
I guess no.

On 2004-08-11 15:18, Tangaroa wrote:

Sorry to be a big "know-it-all" Sven, but this piece is actually the work of my friend (and former boss at W.D.I.) Larry Nikolai.

Don't worry Chris, I am the one who's in much bigger danger to appear like a know-it-all here on TC! Thanks for clearing that up, I was wrong TWICE about this item. Just shows how out of touch I am since I am out of town.

T

When are you going to be back? We need to make that visit to our friend (hopefully he will be home this time...)

JT
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.