Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Imperial/US measures

Pages: 1 8 replies

Sorry to be a numb nuts but can someone explain to me what the following measurements are as per Grog Log;
Quart
Fifth

Thanks

K
Kono posted on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 4:03 AM

When booze went metric the closest equivalent of the fifth (fifth of a gallon) is .750ml and of the quart (quarter gallon) is 1.0 liter. It took a while to get out of the habit of saying "give me a fifth" and I still refer to the smaller bottles as a pint or half pint.

So...you could substitute as above or if you want to be extremely exact a quart = 946.35ml and a fifth = 757.08ml.

Thanks, I can now mix in the knowledge that I won't be scrimping on the grog.

Funnily enough, I just found out today that a US pint is around 4/5ths of a UK pint.

Trader Woody

that decides it! i'm buying all my beer in england from now on :)

J

On 2004-08-11 10:34, Trader Woody wrote:
I just found out today that a US pint is around 4/5ths of a UK pint.

So that explains why the entire contents of my Guiness cans, brought back from Ireland, don't fit in my American "pint" glasses!

On 2004-08-11 13:02, johntiki wrote:

So that explains why the entire contents of my Guiness cans, brought back from Ireland, don't fit in my American "pint" glasses!

JT, do they overflow, or not make it to to the top? Cans of beer over here aren't pint-size, either. A couple of companies like Stella Artois put out limited runs of proper English imperial pint size cans and they look huge compared to their normal cans!

I got this from a group campaining to get rid of metric measurement (which we're not too keen on in the UK):

"Imperial Upsizing

Producers of lager, ale and cider are switching back to pint can sizes. The "full pint value" label allows producers to outmarket those companies offering consumers less generous metric cans.

Pint cans represent "upsizing" on former metric cans of 500ml and 440ml (which represent only 0.88 pints and 0.77 pints, respectively). The use of the pint adds consistency to can sizes and enables consumers to make informed purchases around a fixed and well-understood point of reference. Metric "milli-unit" labels, on the other hand, fail to produce stable can sizes and offer consumers no meaningful information on quantity."

Trader Woody

i seem to recall there being a part in orwell's "1984" regarding the unsatisfactory nature of metrically-sized beer as opposed to a pint... i guess mr. orwell knew what he was talking about...

J

On 2004-08-12 04:22, Trader Woody wrote:

JT, do they overflow, or not make it to to the top?

It's odd - sometimes they just fit in the glass and sometimes I actually have enough left to top off the glass after the first sip! It's probably got more to do with my inexperience pouring a proper pint than with the can size!

Pages: 1 8 replies