Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kon Tiki Portland

Pages: 1 3 replies

M

Look at this postcard :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2262235042
Now, I am going by memory here, but the facade reminds me of The Jasmine Tree (the general shape and doors-not the ornamentation)--does anyone know where this was located?

Aloha from the city of Roses Mr. Smiley! Yes your memory does not fail you - the basic outlay of the building facade is very Jasmine Treeish. I tried to google up the old Kon Tiki address here in P-town to no avail. I am sure someone out there has a menu or matchbook with the addy. I beleive the Kon Tiki was more downtown around say 5th 6th bus mall area. Think old Portland Trader Vics area with in a few blocks. I know there WAS another Tkik joint up around 11th or 12th (up where say Jakes/Crystal Ballroom are now.

Hope all is well in Middle CA!

[ Edited by: Maori_man on 2004-08-14 14:43 ]

I had a chance to eat at the old Kon Tiki way back when. It was located in The Sheraton Hotel (now a Double Tree) on NE Multnomah St across from The Lloyd Center.
As Tikimaxton found out, much of the stuff at the Jasmine Tree came over from the Kon Tiki when it closed.

I got 4 chairs for Valentine's day that came from the Kon Tiki in Portland when it was shut down. The sellers parents bought them when the place closed and used them as patio chairs.

[img]

The only thing is that the rattan is painted yellow. The only postcard of the Portland Kon Tiki I have is an exterior shot so I don't know if it original paint or not ( I doubt it). I have seen some postcards of Crane's other restaurants and I have noticed the green vinyl booths and chairs but they are natural rattan. I thought I would just throw this out there so someone can stop me before I strip them if I am making a huge mistake. I wish my Grandma was still alive so I could ask her..she was a regular for happy hour!

Pages: 1 3 replies