Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

World/African/Tribal Art

Pages: 1 13 replies

Benzart wanted to see this stuff. These are pieces I picked up at the San Jose Jazz Festival last weekend.
One piece is a Teakwood Rhino, the other is Tribal Chief made from Ebony. You can see the raw ebony at the bottom. I'm hoping to score some raw ebony by next spring from the man I bought this from. He gets it over in Mombasa. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-08-15 09:21 ]

B

JT, Those ARE really great. The Rhino is so real and the teak is just plain Beautiful wood. The Tribal chief is a super well done piece. Its amazing how these 3rd world country people create their ancient art using so few tools out of such a hard wood as ebony. I don't think there are more than 1 or2 woods that are harder. Nice Fishy thanks for taking the time and effort to post these. Nice Art. I'm Jealous

I also love African and tribal art from all over the world. I know it's not tiki, but it also has a definite warmth and primitive characteristics that I am just drawn to. I have a huge collection of masks from Australia, Africa, the Phillipines, Bali, and Thiland. I also collect tribal weapons as well.

Hey Ragin' Raro, post some pics if you like. I'd love to see some of it.

Sorry JT, I am living with family right now and my whole life is in my 10x20 storage unit. When I get settled I will def post pics.

B

Here is tha Jamaican piece I have carved by "Artis W Cameron" in Spanish Town, Jamaica , In 1980. The wood is Lignum Vitae, which is a Super hard oily wood.

On 2004-08-14 07:16, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
I also love African and tribal art from all over the world. I know it's not tiki, but it also has a definite warmth and primitive characteristics that I am just drawn to. I have a huge collection of masks from Australia, Africa, the Phillipines, Bali, and Thiland. I also collect tribal weapons as well.

I also am drawn to such art, although I think it does share certain parallels with tiki. For example, the masks have certain similar characteristics with the tiki masks, both in expression as well as style.

If I ever decide to get my doctorate in tiki, my dissertation would be to explore the similarities in the art and culture of Eastern African cultures, Papa New Guinea and Tahiti/Marquesas.

TM1

While Tiki is a huge interest of mine, my entire apartment is done in safari style.....

I believe safari and tiki can definitley co-exist! In fact, during the 50's, some people opted for the safari style....even on record albums like Les Baxter's Tamboo...

I have several carved masks and african wood animals, they look great next to the wall that's entirely covered in reed fencing!

Yep, Christiki and Mick. Even AlnShell of the Pacific have a Safari room. It's all good. Sometimes I wish I were born into any culture but the plain, homogenized, pasteurized American culture. Americans don't have coming-of-age celebrations for their children when they reach puberty. They are frozen in adolescence way too long. Does that make sense? Blah, blah, blah.

TM1

Heck yes, it makes sense!!!

Life just is not as exciting in this day and age, compared to the way it used to be...

there is no sense of whimsy, adventure...no hunger for something "more".....

I wish I was the age I am now in 1964!!!!

On 2004-08-17 16:35, Jungle Trader wrote:
Americans don't have coming-of-age celebrations for their children when they reach puberty.

Drinking yourself silly whenever possible between 18-21 and/or college.

On 2004-08-17 09:04, tiki mick wrote:

I believe safari and tiki can definitley co-exist! In fact, during the 50's, some people opted for the safari style....even on record albums like Les Baxter's Tamboo...

I have several carved masks and african wood animals, they look great next to the wall that's entirely covered in reed fencing!

I also have African Masks in my bedroom because the match the same tribal feel of the tikis.

Sometimes I wish I were born into any culture but the plain, homogenized, pasteurized American culture.

Any culture, eh? Well, if you don't like plain I wouldn't recommend heading north... We have so little culture that our government commits massive ammounts of $$ every year towards facilitating Canadian culture.

On the other hand though, if we weren't born into such a plain culture, I don't think we would be so intrigued by all these other amazing cultures... and then where would we be? Not on Tiki Central! Besides, if we grew up in another culture we'd be just as likely to idealize & exoticize American culture anyway.

:tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: :tiki:

Good point TT.

Pages: 1 13 replies