Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Coconut Phone

Pages: 1 7 replies

H

For about a year now, I've been searching high and low for a coconut phone. Nothing fancy, just a phone that looks like a coconut. Hardly a new concept, but I've not been able to find one. I've looked. And looked, and looked, and looked. I had to endure sifting past all the "Survivor" links I got back from Google searches. I've got a saved search on eBay that'll email me if something comes up, but that hasn't happened. I've found a phone shaped like a slice of pizza, but no coconut phone -- now, is that logical??

Anyway, I think now that I'm going to buy a Magic 8-ball phone and make it look like a coconut. I'm not happy about it, though, so I thought I'd make one last-ditch attempt here -- do any of you know where I can buy a coconut phone?

how weird. i was looking at "artificial food" for a friend of mine..so this was already bookmarked"

http://www.barnardltd.com/

search on "Coconut" ~ theres a green one, out of poly foam, i'd bet that would be easy to modify ... maybe a phone cozy kinda thing..

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/fruit.html#Green Coconut

Aloha, Humuhumu! Nice to finally talk with you...I used to live in Seattle...miss it! Anyway, check out a site called customphone.com...they have over 850 novelty phones...even leopard skin, etc...but the cool thing is that they will custom design one for you a coconut, tiki, rum bottle, whatever you want...hope this helps! Grey

Thanks for all the ideas! The custom phone place looked like as good a bet as I was going to find, but the prices for the custom work were pretty steep. I liked the look of that fake green coconut a lot, but I'm gonna go with a brown one.

My plan now is to buy a coconut (and eat it! that's the best part of this plan) and save the halves. Then I'm gonna buy a basic slimline phone, tear it apart, and reassemble the parts in the coconut halves. Could be cool, could be a disaster, but either way it should be a fun project. I'll get to use my new Dremel.

Chef - Seattle is indeed cool, I love it here. My mom moved to Burlington VT for work, and she... um... she did not LoVermont. When she left to move back home, her coworkers bought her a bear wearing a shirt that said "I like Vermont, but I love Seattle". Burlington sounded like a neat town, my mom was just too shy to meet people I think.

I've never seen a coconut phone. And I've seen some strange ones! I sell stuff ant the rose bowl flea market and I've sold a potato phone, an apple phone, a bannana phone, a ketchup bottle phone, a car phone, and this month I'll be selling a pig phone. If I come across a coconut, I will definatly let you know!

T

Humuhumu, what a great idea! It shouldn't be too hard to do as long as you don't have to disassemble any circuitry or cut a circuit board.

You should be able to use just about any rigid plastic for the phone and mouthpiece face. Is it going to be hinged or two-part? Hinged would be cool but probably harder to do and to use.

I may have to try this as a project too. What other household items could we tiki-fy?
Hmmmm, ideas anyone?

H

I'm not too worried about dealing with circuitry -- I know my way around a soldering iron. It would be easier without all that, tho. Here's the phone I'm gonna try it with:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11124606&m=887&cat=888&scat=889

I'm probably gonna bust it apart and use the components. I think I'll have to take a earpiece speaker from a slimline I have at home. I'll take pics as I'm doing it, and I'll report back.

Another project I'm planning -- I'm gonna take an old chandelier that has five fake candles on it, break it down, put them in a row on a board, put flicker bulbs in them, and carve little tikis to put between them, and build sort of light row for the bar. It might end up crappy.

T

I was thinking one of those basketball phones would be ideal to use as they have the nice round faces that should mount niceley with little modification.

There's one pictured here, but I've seen this sort of thing at flea markets for $9 Canadian nonetheless.

http://www.affordablephones.net/ProductDetail.asp?ID=50

Pages: 1 7 replies