Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Art Now show in S.F.

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

F

I just mailed my original of "Mana" to the Shooting Gallery .over sized package .OUCH!! $25 for the box and $70 for the postage.Anybody else getting a little poked to get your art there?

[ Edited by: fishhead on 2004-08-16 13:40 ]

Hey fishead! What's up? I met you at Tiki Oasis.

I have to ship from Canada. Trust me. It ain't cheap!

Anybody have a couch I can sleep on for a few days in SF while I'm there for the show? I'll be in town from the 15th to the 20th I think and will probably stay 2 places so as not to inconvenience anybody too much. There's merch in in for you if you say yes! I'm ideally looking for someplace near downtown (but anything bay area will do if I'm desperate enough). (Oh, and please don't take offense, but no single guys please (unless I know you.) I'm just too dammned irresistable. :wink:

Okay, Mahalo! And remember... free prints from Heather if you give her a place to stay!

http://www.TheArtDeck.com (dont forget the "the")

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-08-16 17:14 ]

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki on 2004-09-02 21:53 ]

This event will be perfect for Otto to sign his Tiki Central / Shag print as well.
Would anyone like to meet up at the Tonga Lounge before hand? I'm in for a Tonga Tai before this cool event.
Shooting Gallery Link:
http://www.shootinggallerysf.com/Books/Books.htm

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-08-31 14:50 ]

On 2004-08-30 15:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
Would anyone like to meet up at the Tonga Lounge before the event? I'm in for a Tonga Tai before this cool event.

TONGA! TONGA! TONGA!

Unga screwed up. No commemorative mug.
Sorry about the false alarm.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-08-31 13:43 ]

I also talked to Munktiki and they told me they might unveil a "Shot Glass Dispensing Machine"...how cool! What time will the Tonga Room preshow drinks start flowing?

T

Unga pick me up one of those mugs braddah. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Um no, no show mug, just the mini mug vending machine, but that should be enough.
Just a couple minor details to finish and it will be all done.

-stuckie

Sorry about the misunderstanding Stuckie.
Still glad your participating.

Well here is some REAL good news.
The Tonga is only one mile away from the gallery, and since parking is such a drag at the Tonga, you can park your car around the gallery, and walk or take a cab to the Tonga.

Directions: Link to Mapquest

It’s gonna be a great night.

[ Edited by Humuhumu to fix too-long link ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-08-31 14:14 ]

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-09-16 22:28 ]

dumb question coming at you: when is this event?
september 16th? september 17th?

(pre-emptive apology for ignorance, stupidity and well, laziness.)

H

tikicleen, that's not a dumb question at all. Here's the more proper thread for this event:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10630&forum=4&2

UB

On 2004-08-31 15:33, tikicleen wrote:
when is this event?
september 16th? september 17th?

Thanks for the head's up TC.
Artist reception 7:00 PM Friday, September 17.
Tonga pre party - 5:00

M

I might be interested in a drink or two- let's just make sure we don't start a FOURTH thread for this event.

Parking by the gallery is not great either. It's also a bit sketchy. Try the AMC theatre garage on Van Ness- a little spendy perhaps, but you'll find a space.

Drinks at the Tonga. September seventeenth. Before the show. Walk or share cabs to the gallery.

Have I got this right?

T

I was just wondering how much it was gonna cost me to get my painting up there too.. Ouch, hopefully mine won't be that much.. thanks for the heads up.

Hey, does anyone know if there's anything fun going down on Saturday night in SF(the 18th)? Any plans anybody?

I don't want to miss out, but if I leave on Saturday I'll be home in time to catch the Beastie Boys concert, which I also don't want to miss.

Somebody please help me decide!

A

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2004-09-06 22:38 ]

On 2004-09-03 13:59, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Hey, does anyone know if there's anything fun going down on Saturday night in SF(the 18th)? Any plans anybody?

I don't want to miss out, but if I leave on Saturday I'll be home in time to catch the Beastie Boys concert, which I also don't want to miss.

Somebody please help me decide!

HMMM, the Beastie Boys...tough call!

I just got an email from BabyDoe, and Saturday at the gallery, meet the artists and enjoy uke music by Frank Novicki, 4pm-6pm.

That sounds very cool, I also just realized that my old, old friend Joe Leonard, an amazing tattoo artist (see Otto's color tiki tat on his calf) has some work in the show! cool, maybe I can get an appointment to have him fix the tat he gave me when we were kids, in his garage, back in the day in Philly! (before he was acclaimed and had a 6 month waiting list!)

Anyway - Saturday with Frank and the artists sounds really fun! We're in!

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2004-09-08 12:00 ]

Yeah. Beastie Boys is on a monday night too (what's with that?), so no one here's that into it anyway. Probably I'll just wait for next time (or I could see them in SF on Thursday...) so I'll be around on Saturday too. :)

Still looking for a place to stay Friday & Saturday night, ideally in the downtown area or within easy transit reach or cab reach from there. Anybody? There's free prints/merch in it for you!

& I'm a great houseguest. Quiet. Not messy. No wild parties. I swear.

UB

Here is a link of some of the art that will be displayed at the show.
The diversity is just freakin amazing.

http://shootinggallerysf.com/Artists/GroupTiki2004/Portfolio2004Tiki1.htm

Well, the painting made it up there okay, and it'll be on their website soon, but here's an image for now. Everybody's work looks supurb, great job fellow TCers!

MG

NiCe oNe tOny

I just got the 'Tiki Art Now!" book in the mail and it is truly an awesome book.
An introduction by Otto, amazing pictures of the work, and biographies on all the artists.
A definite must for the tiki library.
Hope to see some of you at Tonga and/or the show!

http://shootinggallerysf.com/Books/Books.htm

A

Naomi (aka chichiwan) and I will definitely be at the show, and if I can leave work early, hopefully we can come by the Tonga Room too!

Showgoers - bring 20s!

-Randy

MG

I'm flying in to Oakland Friday morning by myself and going to the reception that night. I'm bummed that I can't stay Saturday night too, but I'm lucky Weence is letting me go at all. I told her that this is important business. I'm going to be scouting for more artists to do serigraphs with Falling Cocos... I can't wait! But I can't go home without chocolate.

Who else is going Friday? Any one from So.Cal? Which of you artists wil be there Friday night?

Thanks, Gene

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-13 21:28 ]

I'll see you there Gene, and others! I'll be wearing a neck full of $10 tiki necklaces from drift wood!
-tOny

B

Look forward to seeing many of you on Friday night and Saturday afternoon!

Check out the artwork in advance and you can even buy it online!

http://shootinggallerysf.com/Artists/GroupTiki2004/Portfolio2004Tiki1.htm

Also come early to sample the FREE Tiki Go Go catering company snacks!!

The Shooting Gallery and Otto von Stroheim presents...
Tiki Art Now!

Meet the artists at the Opening reception:
Friday, September 17th, 7 pm - 9 pm

meet the artist and enjoy uke music by Frank Novicki, Kitten on the Keys and friends
Saturday, September 18th, 4pm-6pm

Exhibit shows September 14 - October 9, 2004

Shooting Gallery
839 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
http://www.shootinggallerysf.com
Gallery hours: Tue - Sat

On Friday, September 17, 2004 The Shooting Gallery & Tiki News unveil ‘Tiki Art Now!’ - an exhibit of over 60 well-known and upcoming Tiki artists from around the globe. Based on its longstanding history and mass appeal Tiki Style can now be recognized as an American Folk Art movement. This exhibit shows some of today’s most exciting American artists plus highlights international artists working in the Tiki Style. We are proud to showcase artists that in history will be acknowledged as some of the preeminent Tiki artists of our time. The site of this show is one of the hottest new galleries in San Francisco: The Shooting Gallery. FREE catered food provided by Tiki Go Go.

We are proud to announce that this stunning display of neo-primitve images is captured in a 90 page full color catalog available opening night. Co-published by Last Gasp, the catalog features an introduction by the king of Lowbrow art, founder of Juxtapoz magazine Robert Williams, and foreword by Tikimiester Otto von Stroheim, publisher of Tiki News.

Exhibit features artists from across the US as well as from Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan and Mexico. Some of the artists include: Shag, Marco Almera, Bosko, Sunny Buick, Dave Burke, Kalynn Campbell, Dirty Donny, Crazy Al Evans, Richie Fahey, Rod Filbrandt, Mary Fleener, Bruce Gossett, Christine Karas, Joe Leonard, Sharon Leong, Mr. Lucky, Munktiki, Mitch O’Connell, Lisa Petrucci, The Pizz, Isabel Samaras, Von Franco, and more

Chongolia and I are going to be up there absorbin' some tiki culture on Friday night. Well be pre drinking in the Tonga Lounge hopefully around 5:30 - 6:00
Pip Pip Cheerio and all that kind of stuff.

Chongolio

Going Friday, hoping to get out of work & across the bridge early enough to make the Tonga Room beforehand. What a great way to start off a tiki weekend! :)

CA

I'm hopping in the car as we speak and heading up north! see you to night!
I'm bringing a box of my brand new ceramic TIKI MUG! (to début next week on TC)
so if you want to save S/H&tax,
I'll be selling in the back streets and allies today and Sat........

if your not on Otto's List.... get your ass out of bed Sat morning.......
KRON TV (one of the big three in the Bay Area, ie primetime TV)
is shooting live at the Tiki art show on Sat Sept 18
from 7:55 - 10 am
if you want to be on TV come on down by 7:55 am
or relax at home and watch us in our hung over misery trying to look cheery!
We'll have some musical guests and surprises (I hope)

Cyril Lefebvre
http://ukuleleclubdeparis.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

Kitten on the Keys
http://www.suzanneramsey.net/
(an me)

H

I had grand plans for a trip to SF for this show, but work has gotten in the way... I'm bummed about missing everyone and all the art.

T

Hx2, you're such a fixture at every tiki event known to man that it just won't be the same without you.

I propose we have a life-size cutout of you made and ship it to the 1 or 2 events you can't make it to. It'd be perfect for photo ops. Or have a few made and we could put them in every room party at the Oasis. It would be funny to see you standing there in the background of every single picture from every event.

Now that I think about it, we should do one of Hanford instead.

H

Hehe, that would be sweet. And by sweet, I mean totally awesome.

Wow! Just got home from the Tiki Art Now! show and boy did I have a good time! I got to meet and have a few drinks with some really great people from Tiki Central, got a great book signed by Otto and even ended up with some awesome Munktiki shotglasses! I wish I could have stayed longer, but my grand old age of 31 caught up with me ( I'm such a big loser! ) I had a great time meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you again!

M

The reception was great- just need a fan in the gallery! Hot!

I'm watching live channel 4 news coverage this morning, and the evil newsanchor Ysabel Duron can't stop laughing at the idea that this stuff is art, and wondering who would want something like this in their home. When they said there was a meet and greet with the artists later, she laughed at the word artist, and then said, "well, if you can carve something I guess that's artistic."

How incredibly rude!

Anyway, here's the newest member of the "I Hate Tiki Wall of Shame":

Don't be fooled by the smile. She's wicked!

M

KRON4 must be stopped!

They just had a bartender on at the Art Show to show people how to make tropical drinks. I mean this bartender has a published book for god's sake, and he comes out to make a Hurricane and a Mai Tai. To his credit, he was using some superb rums, but the Mai Tai was orange juice, grenadine, pineapple juice, Amaretto, and white and dark rum. ugh!

I mean Frank, C'Al and Otto were tight there: why didn't someone tackle the bartender and stop the madness. I'm sure it was out of their hands.

I love this: the host asks the bartender where he gets his paper umbrellas and he says "Sur La Table." Har! Sure- 20 bucks each.

rant over.

We saw the show, too, and she was a first-class doofus. When she scowled "Who would want one of those in their home", I knew it was gonna be all uphill. It was the typical dumbed-down morning tv show crap where the "reporter" doesn't understand anything he's saying and talks over everyone who's trying to explain what tiki is all about.

Every segment in the gallery (5 or so over 2 hours), Frank, Crazy Al and KotK were doing background music on ukes and coconuts, which was cool. Otto's segment was leisurely, but he seemed kinda nervous. They showed a lot of the art, which was nice. In all, it was certainly good exposure for the show, which no Bay Area TC-er should miss.

As for the drink mixing demo, well, those looked like nice drinks but that wasn't a mai tai. Cesar is our favorite restaurant and Olivier is a superb owner/bartender/waiter (who is always dressed in excellent vintage aloha wear), and their bar is the best. It's just odd that they picked them to do the drink demo since they aren't really tiki at all. But we've never had a bad drink there, so don't let their "mai tai" recipe scare you away.

Thanks to Otto and Doe for all their hard work putting this show together. The actual art on the walls is sooo much better than the website or catalog can possibly show. And thanks to all the great artists for their fine work.

Oh my god is Ysabel Duron Pure Evil! How totally stuck up! I'm going to save her picture and customize on Photoshop!

T

On 2004-09-18 12:59, aquaorama wrote:
Oh my god is Ysabel Duron Pure Evil! How totally stuck up! I'm going to save her picture and customize on Photoshop!

Oh my, let the evilness begin.

Gee, I wonder if Duron would like to go on a hike with us.

(It's just a joke Duron)

The art show was great! Was great to see my friends from TC again!
The location SUCKED! I mean the geography part of S.F., not the Shooting Gaallery

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-10-01 01:21 ]

All in all a pretty neat show. It was really cool seeing all the art up close and personal. Pats on the back to everybody who participated and brought this together. All the art was killer. Some of my favorite pieces were "Marcia Tamähine" by Isabel Samaras, The Mug dispenser by Munktiki and Flounders multimedia works "Marquesas Remanent" (Sorry flounder, I did not catch the name of the Moai one.
However, the gallery definately could of used a tropical breeze blowin' through there and it seemed to me that there was a shortage of aloha wear. But, I did get to catch up and talk story with a few of the TC Ohana which is always a pleasure.
Beware of the talking head!

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-09-18 17:28 ]

Now I remember why I hate those pathetic morning shows !
Cheers to Otto for putting on a fabulous show !! The art truly was spectacular.
Big JEERS to KRON for rideculing the art/concept throughout this pathetic show !! Also, why on earth would they choose the barman from a Spanish tapas restaurant, to demonstrate tropical drinks? I felt sick watching him pour everything from grenadine to frangelico in the Mai Tai.
This is what I hate about the media. When they do a story on something, it's usually without any research. If they wanted to include a cocktail demo, all they had to do was search "exotic drinks" on Citysearch, to find a bar that truly makes definitive exotic cocktails...not pull in some clueless bartender,plug his book (which had nothing to do with the segment) and refer to him as "master of the exotic cocktail"

On 2004-09-17 22:38, aquaorama wrote:
I wish I could have stayed longer, but my grand old age of 31 caught up with me ( I'm such a big loser! )

I left with this guy because I was also pooped (at 8:30?!), and he was nice enough to give me a ride back to my car. Today I know why I was so tired -- I'm coming down with a cold! My apologies for not staying longer and socializing more.

My fellow art history majors may disagree and think that the pieces in this show constitute "low" art, but I loved it! The Munktiki vending machine was especially clever.

Did anyone get the KRON travesty on tape (and did anyone else spot Henry Tenenbaum at the opening?)

K

Great show... neat to see Flounder, Tiki Tony, Crazy Al, Cherry Capri and Bosko's stuff all live and direct. The ladyfriend and I really liked Marco Almera's velvet of Ku... I didn't realize Marco did tiki stuff.

To quote Jack Black in School of Rock, "Read between the lines" Ms. Ysabel Channel Four. The poor hag has no idea what she's talking about. Maybe we should invite her here to TikiCentral so she can explain to all of us what "true" art is. I'm sure her explanation would have a lasting affect.

Fantastic show! It was so exciting to see so many expressions of the genre. Mika'ele Loco Moco and I brought some "new to tiki" folks down and we all loved it all. One of our friends is hoping to scrape up for the Chichiwan "Tiki Bob" painting. Congrats to all the artists and organizers. Well done.

-Iuka Grogg

A

Naomi and I had a blast at the opening party too. I think there were probably some TCers there whose names I might know, but not faces. Also, I think maybe some artists were there much of the time without us knowing to give them firsthand compliments. Even in the small place, there really was a lot to see. Crazy Al's chess set was nice, and a bunch of pieces looked even better in person than in the preview. Here are some pics:

The Munktiki vending machine greeted visitors upon arrival.

Naomi doesn't stand behind her work, she stands in front of it (or below it)! Hers is the yellow Tiki Bob. Thanks for the comment Iuka!

Munktiki's gold tiki bowl with fur.

View of the place when it finally started to quiet down a little.

-Randy

Pages: 1 2 70 replies