Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai Kai decanter and postal insurance: loss or not?

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

I just received what for me is a big find, a Mai Kai decanter with the original label and hang tag and unopened. Minty, minty fresh. I had it insured. It came to me not broken, but the corner crushed on the box and the cork broken off and it had leaked and the label was soaked, the hang tag booklet was soaked. What do I do? A great part of the value was it being "perfect." I have never worked on the insurance on an item at the PO. What do they do? I want the decanter, I just don't feel it is at the value I paid any longer. Do they take the item? What's the deal and do you think I should collect the insurance...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-08-16 16:15 ]

Hi Swanky,
Really sorry to hear about the damage to your Mai Kai decanter - makes my stomach hurt. But as you say, at least the decanter itself wasn't broken. I've had to make two insurance claims through USPS in the past couple of years. First off, save ALL the original packaging and box that the decanter came in. They'll want to inspect it to see how the damage to the decanter occurred. The person that insured it for you must fill out the proper paperwork so that you can be eligible for reimbursement. What would be ideal is if you have a photo of the decanter showing the condition it was in before it was mailed. If you got it off eBay, then of course this isn't a problem, plus you have a record of what you paid for it. If you didn't get it off eBay, hopefully you at least have some sort of receipt so you can prove it's value. I was refunded the cost of what I paid on eBay for two Trader Dick's mugs that arrived in pieces (only wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and crammed into a box together). The post office also refunded the shipping cost but not the insurance fee since you pay the fee to have them process a refund if necessary. The clerk asked me if I wanted the mugs anyway, since they were just going to toss them - one was fit for a mosaic at best, the other had a big crack down the back but the front was okay. I'm not sure if this would be the case if you decide to pursue a refund. I honestly think it just depends who you are dealing with. Hope this helps. If you still have unanswered questions, let me know.

TikiTimbo

S

Well, crap. I am having the Ebay seller send me a copy of the insurance receipt. I think that's all I need. I have the auction for a value and the packaging. I just don't really want a full settlement, but something. I bought perfection and damaged arrived. I do a lot of business at my post office. I will ask them about it tomorrow.

D

I got a damaged lamp in the mail once and the post office kept it, they didn't offer to let me keep it.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:13 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies